This was our "Park City" day. Our first stop was the Utah Olympic Park. We could have walked around the whole complex and viewed the sites for bobsledding, luge, skeleton, ski jumping, etc. However, it was rainy outside so we contented ourselves with inside things.
The visitors center has a skiing museum on the bottom floor. It had some really cool interactive displays. This one showed what it was like to do downhill skiing.
Upstairs is is a museum with stuff from the 2002 Winter Olympics. These were the mascots. The white beaver looking animal was used during part of the opening ceremonies.
The banners behind Brandon are replicas of the giant banners that hung on the buildings of downtown Salt Lake. Brandon is watching a little movie about the making of the Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals.
And here are some replicas of the medals. I remember this display was in OC Tanners' window downtown during the Olympics. I've kind of always wondered what happened to it.
After getting all nostalgic about the Olympics we left the visitor's center and drove to Park City. Neither one of us had ever actually been to Park City. In fact, I'd always assumed I could see it from I-80. We had planned to walk up and down main street and window shop. The weather had other plans for us though. It was basically snowing so we were happy to just drive down the street and take this picture.
We were getting hungry and wanted to make it to our lunch stop as soon as possible. We stopped for lunch at the Dairy Keen in Heber City. We went here because it has a model train that goes around the ceiling. I'm kind of a mild train buff so as soon as I heard about this place I knew we had to go here to eat.
I even filmed the train going around the room. One day I want to do something like this in my family room.
After the Dairy Keen we drove around the valley in the Homestead Area. In the middle of this picture you can see a little dark hill. We drove up a road that wound all the way up the hill.
At the top of the hill was a monument for war veterans. It was really cool.
From the hill we could see the airport so we headed out there. There was some sort of museum there, but it wasn't open. We could have called the number and the people from the main part of the airport would have come and open the museum, but we didn't do that. Mainly because we just wanted a little break. We did look at this airplane. The girls were really cute. And I had fun taking their pictures. Here is Charlotte.
Throughout the day we had been debating what to do about where to sleep. It had been raining most of the day and we didn't want to set up our tent in the rain. But we didn't want to waste the money we had used to reserve our campsite either. We decided to set up the air mattress in the jeep and sleep in there. However, the sky sort of cleared up when we got to our campsite and it stopped raining. So we set up the tent.
We were camping at Deer Creek State Park. The reason we picked this place is that it is one of the few northern Utah campgrounds that is open in May. Most people come here to go fishing.
We had hot dogs and corn on the cob for dinner. We planned really easy meals for our camping trips because we didn't know what it would be like camping with the twins. I'm glad we did that because the girls took up a lot of our time. Here is Brandon chilling out with Charlotte. I think I'm holding Lydia, but she might be sleeping in the tent.
Here is a video of Lydia. You can see that we got smart and packed our winter coats for this camping trip.We made s'mores and enjoyed the evening.
After that we went into the tent. The girls needed one last bottle. So we gave that to them. I made sure I had water to sleep with to keep warm for the girls morning bottles.
Lydia fell asleep fairly quickly, but Charlotte wanted to stay up for a bit. So Brandon and I played cards until she started acting tired. Then we all went to bed. It started raining soon after we turned off the lantern.




No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?