As you all know, Brandon and I love emergency preparedness. Here is a quote about teaching kids to be prepared. I don't necessarily agree with the broad generalities about our nations youth (because I still think of myself as part of the "younger generation.") But I do agree that everyone needs to know how to survive in the world.
At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I must confess that I worry about our nation's children. We are raising a generation who feel entitled to the trappings of an affluent society. Too many young people expect cell phones and computers and a life of instant: instant food, instant entertainment, and instant entertainment, and instant information. Out kids have lessons in every subject imaginable but are, in many ways the least competent creatures ever to populate the planet. They can work a microwave but can't cook. They know how to instant message but can't communicate face to face. They know fashion but can't replace a button. They can drive fast but can't change a tire. The evening news has taught them about danger but not about how to survive in changing world. As parents, our job is not just to protect our children, but also to raise them to be competent self-reliant, and self-confident.
I am often asked whether hearing me discuss preparedness has made my children worried or anxious. I have found the opposite to be true. My children feel confident in their ability to handle a crisis, and each one knows he or she makes valuable contributions to the family welfare.
Just in Case by Kathy Harrison Page 80
Streaming Movies
-
This post was originally published on East Idaho Collective on January 31,
2023. EIM closed on February 15, 2023. I have moved my posts to this blog
in ord...
3 years ago

I like it, but maybe I'm a curmudgeon :)
ReplyDelete