Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

How we found out about the twins (the first time)

I was going over old blog posts from May and I realized that I never went into a lot of details about the first ultrasound that showed the twins. I want to write this down before I forget.


Brandon and I went to the doctor for the 10 week ultrasound. After getting checked out by the nurse we were left alone in the examination room for several minutes. While we waiting for the doctor I picked up a baby merchandise magazine and started flipping through it. One of the advertised products was a pillow for nursing two babies at once. I remember thinking, "well I wont need that."



The doctor came in after a while and talked with us for a minute. He checked my breathing and everything else that doctors do. Then it was time for the ultrasound. He inserted the probe thingy and we could see a lot of black and white images on the monitor. After some adjustments we saw a very distinct image of a baby. It was suspended in the middle of the monitor and was wiggling its arms and legs around. It looked kind of like a gummy bear and it was so cute.



The doctor asked, "what do you see?" And I said, "A baby." He said, "yes this is a baby, but what is this over here?" He pointed out a nondescript blob to the side of the baby. I said, "I don't know . . . is it the placenta?" The doctor fiddled with some things and said, "well we have a baby over here, and we also have a heart beat coming from over here." My very first thought was, "My baby's heart is outside of it's body!?!" For a split second my mind raced over what this could mean. Before I could imagine the worst the doctor said something like, "you have two babies in here. You're having twins."


He was able to zoom in on the second baby. That one was also wiggling while appearing to be suspended. I remember being so amazed that the babies were moving. I hardly remember anything else from the ultrasound. I was still getting used to the idea of being pregnant. Let alone with twins.

After we left the Doctors I was supposed to drop Brandon off at work and then go to work myself. Instead we sat in the car and kept repeating, "we are having twins, we are having twins." We called our parents and siblings and shared the news. No one could believe it. I told Brandon that I didn't think I could drive so he drove me to work and dropped me off.

I went into the office and hadn't even made it to my desk before people started asking me about the ultrasound. I quickly clocked in and then started showing the ultrasound pictures. Within seconds there was a crowd of people around me. I spent the next hour walking around the office showing people the four little pictures of my two babies. I never got tired of saying, "well here is one baby and here is the other baby." And then hearing the excitement as they asked, "you're having twins!" It was one of my favorite days at work.

Eventually I made it back to my desk and started working. Thank goodness I wrote myself a to do list the day before or else I wouldn't have had a clue what to do. One of the ladies in the office teased me and said, "you seem happy today." I told her, "my husband graduated last week, I'm going on vacation tomorrow, and I just found out I'm having twins. You'd be happy too."

That was almost 20 weeks ago. I finally have wrapped my head around the fact that there are two babies inside of me - and that soon they will be born. I love feeling them kick and move. I joke that they learned the macarana dance a couple weeks ago and haven't stopped doing it since. Often one of them will kick so hard that you can see my stomach jump. It's so fun to see.

I'm looking forward to meeting these two little girls within the next 11 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers