As an April Fools Day prank Brandon switched the girls in their crib. I was kind of expecting it because I thought about doing it to him. Still it took me a second to verify that he had switched them.
Here they are in their correct spots. We have the spots labeled with pillows that my cousin made. Now in my mind it would make more sense if Charlotte was on the left and Lydia was on the right. Charlotte is the oldest so she should be "first." But in the haze filled days when we first came home from the hospital we would put Lydia on the left. I got in the habit of seeing them like this so I've never been able to switch their sides.
The other day I figured out that it sort of makes sense to have Lydia on the left. She had the left room at the hospital, and her bed was on the left side when the girls shared a hospital room. She even was on the right side of my body which means it was the left side for everyone looking at me. So it was only natural that she would end up on the left at home.
The girls have started looking more and more alike. Sometimes I have to think for a second before I know exactly which baby I'm holding. Here are somethings that help me tell them apart. Charlotte


Charlotte is still the bigger twin. She has always been about a pound heavier than Lydia. Usually I can tell which baby is which by looking at their sizes. Charlotte's head is also rounder I think that is because she was in the vertex position and my pelvis shaped her head. For a few months she had more hair than Lydia, but her hair is starting to thin out too. She has a little scar on the right side of her chest from when her collapsed lung was fixed in the hospital. Every time I give her a bath I make sure she has the scar and I haven't accidentally switched her with Lydia.
Charlotte nurses and bottle feeds really well. She likes to suck on her bottle really hard. Sometimes she sucks so hard that she closes up the nipple and we have to pull the bottle away and let air drain back in.
When I lay her on my knees she likes to arch her back and hang her head down so that she is upside down. I think this is also because she was vertex.
Lydia
Lydia is smaller weight wise, but not length wise. That makes her skinnier. The top of her head is more oval shaped. Her left ear folds over and makes her look like an elf. She has also developed a small birth mark on the inside of her left arm. She nurses really well. However, she likes to move her head and arms around while she bottle feeds. So we usually leave her wrapped up while we feed her. One of these days I will have to film Brandon bottle feeding her. It is hilarious to watch him try to keep the bottle in her mouth while she moves her head from side to side.
Lydia likes to roll from her side to her back. By rolling back and forth repeatedly enough she is able to move 90 degrees. Here is a picture of her after she had turned herself. Right before I took this picture Charlotte was licking Lydia's head.
Here is a cute picture of the girls eating. Try to guess who is who. Don't feel bad if you can't figure it out. I had a hard time remembering. By the way they are getting better at keeping food in their mouths. Brandon likes to feed them rice cereal. I'm more indifferent. In my mind it's all practise until they reach 6 months anyway.
Speaking of food, check out our food storage. I love case lots!

Here is a cute picture of the girls eating. Try to guess who is who. Don't feel bad if you can't figure it out. I had a hard time remembering. By the way they are getting better at keeping food in their mouths. Brandon likes to feed them rice cereal. I'm more indifferent. In my mind it's all practise until they reach 6 months anyway.
Speaking of food, check out our food storage. I love case lots!
Charlotte learned how to roll over the other day. I put her on her stomach while I changed Lydia's diaper. I could hear her crying and then suddenly she stopped. I thought she had just given up. But when I came back in the room I saw that she was on her back. Here is a movie of her rolling over. She rolls in the first 30 seconds so make sure you watch that. The remaining 6 minutes have a couple more rolls and Lydia trying to roll. It's cute to watch them interact.

I almost read through it all but you're right your babies are unique! From the pictures Lydia does have different eyes... and a unique nose? Might just be a nose flare. Nice April Fools Brandon. Next year you could try switching places with the twins and YOU! Boy wouldn't that be a shocker to wake up to twins instead of a spouse!
ReplyDeleteIt's cute watching them together... you're a supermom! I wonder if babies who are twins are content because they always have a little buddy -- I was just thinking of how they share the crib together... you always have a buddy to talk to if you have a nightmare etc. Fun. I'm sure it'll be more fun as they grow up.
ReplyDelete