On Friday I went to the Dr. for my miscarriage follow up exam. At least I thought it would be an exam. Instead the Dr sat at a computer the whole time and asked me questions about the miscarriage. It was weird and then it got weirder. He asked me, "so remind me, when we did the ultrasound we couldn't find the heartbeat - right?" I told him, "no, we found twins." And he said, "but then we lost the heart beat - right?" It was very obvious that he couldn't remember a thing about me. Now I'm not saying that he should have been able to remember all the details about my pregnancy, but he could have at least read his notes - they were right there in front of him on the computer monitor he was staring at.
He asked me how we confirmed the miscarriage and I told him that I'd been on vacation at the time, but I'm pretty sure it happened. I also told him that since it happened all my pregnancy symptoms went away. Brandon even backed me up and kept saying, "she's not pregnant." But the Dr just kept insisting that I could be. I finally agreed to a blood test to get out of his office.
Now it would be cool if I was still pregnant, but I'm positive that is not the case. What bugs me is that the Dr wouldn't listen to me. He just kept insisting that I might be pregnant.
Anyway, it was odd. I went back to work the next week and told my friend and she asked who my Dr was. Once I told her she told me something I wish I'd known sooner. Back when she was pregnant with her now two year old she went to the same Dr after she'd started spotting. He told her he couldn't find a heartbeat and that "given her history" it would be better to do a D&C right away. Luckily she and her husband had the presence of mind to walk out of there and get a second opinion.
So now I'm confused, what if the Dr had talked me into an ultrasound to find out if I was still pregnant. Would he have found a healthy or "unhealthy baby?" And what would he have recommended then?
I still feel like I need an exam. And I want it to be with a competent Dr, Nurse Practitioner, or Midwife who I can trust. I just moved to Bountiful so I'm feeling a little lost. If any of you have suggestions please either comment, facebook, or e-mail me.

I am so sorry. I wish you were still here in Logan because Jason and I both LOVE my Dr. Sadie's first pediatritian was the same way, would not listen to me.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely should go to a new Dr., there is nothing wrong with a second opinion. Good Luck!
I love my midwife, but she is in Riverton...I've also heard really good things about the cottonwood ob/gyn doctors...their number is 801-507-1950 (Chad's friend from high school works at all the IHC hospitals in labor and delivery and she goes to those doctors. She says all of them are good and most of them have been bishops) If you want my midwife's number let me know.
ReplyDeleteAll I know is that I HATE !! Nurse Practitioners make sure it is a real Dr. and one that deals with Pregnancy often. Like a Gyno. Midwifes are good as long as they are nurse Midwifes who always do deliveries at a hospital.
ReplyDeleteHey Val. I love my midwife. Diane Heubusch delivered my daughter. She has been my doctore for 10 years now and I think she is wonderful -a little strict but wonderful. Her partner Nancie Mooy delivered my little boy. Nancie never left my side, she drew me a bath, rubbed my back and even held my hand. I was so impressed. I have never met a doctor with so much compassion. She is an angel!!! Another partner in the office is Gretchen Faucett. I never saw her in the delivery room but she did a few of my check ups and I loved her too. These women are honestly amazing. Give them a call 801-408-1440. Avenues midwifery.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I had a friend who was pregnant with twins and miscarried one, but not both...
Hang in there sweet heart! Let me know how it goes.
Hey Val,
ReplyDeleteI loved my doctor that delivered Andrew. His name is Scott E. Hansen and his office is out of Jordan Valley Hospital and he delivers there and at Riverton Hospital. I would definately get a second opinion. Let me know if you want to give him a try.
Diane Heubish delivered your sister, Emily, 21 years ago, next week!
ReplyDeleteSorry I don't know anyone in Bountiful, but I am also sorry you had to go through that with your Dr. It makes me also wonder who it was. If you were in Logan still, I'd say Dr. Craig (I love her... she was also Jocylnn's Dr). My curiosity is killing me though -- could you just tell me, does his last name begin with a B, or an H?
ReplyDelete