I got another letter from Brandon today. Even better, I was able to talk to him for 10 minutes last night! (All you married girls better appreciate your husbands.) It was a good conversation. Mostly we just talked about some "housekeeping procedures" and reassured each other that we were okay. Here is the letter. It didn't have a date, but the envelope was postmarked September 28th.
Valerie,
It is soo good to hear from you. I got TWO letters in the same envelope from you today plus the drawings from the girls, and the letters from your family. It was really great to hear from everyone.
I am glad that you are keeping busy with the girls and everyone else. There is a lot of negativity around here such as many opinions about basic training that float around. All of the swear words and dirty stories I hear. Besides that everyone always is mentioning about how hard the army is on girlfriends and wives. You listen to that and it makes you start to wonder if this was the right decision. But when I hear from you telling me just how happy and what a good time in life you are having now- even though I am not with you- it reassures me that we made this decision together and you fully support me just as I fully support you. Thank you so much for your positive attitude. It makes all the difference in the world.
I can't wait to see how much the girls have grown and Derrick too when I get back. I can't wait to see you.
Tomorrow I am going to the Dreaded Gas Chamber. That is the thing that everyone knows about Basic Training. And everyone, except me, is terrified of it. I just figure that it hasn't killed anyone before and everyone I have heard of says it is not too bad. Again that will probably be the conversational topic of choice for the next couple of hours tonight and tomorrow.
When I got my flu vaccine in Reception it gave me a runny nose and a cough. I have had the cough since I got to basic training (after reception). When I got my army boots I got two giant open blisters on the back of both my heels - one a piece. I was in really bad shape. My feet killed, so I couldn't walk very well. We used our calves and legs in exercise and I couldn't burn off the lactic acid in my muscles. So I was limping and waddling pretty bad. I also hadn't gotten too much sleep because the cough kept me up most of the night for several nights. I was miserable. I got into bed and prayed for help because I tried to do it my myself and it wasn't working. The next day one - well several - of my roommates told me I should go to "sick call."
When I went to fix my cough they asked me if there was anything else and I asked about my blisters. And like a miracle I got huge bandaids, moleskin, and tape - not to mention a paper that said I couldn't run, jump, march, or backpack for the next five days. We went to do and activity and I couldn't do it because it required running so I sat on and slept next to a log all day. I got a day off to recover just like I prayed for. It was awesome. I am still coughing a bit and my blisters hurt a bit, but I am doing a lot better.
I am liking it a lot better and it gets better as it goes apparently. I am doing it. I am getting stronger, and I am losing weight, mostly stomach weight along with other places, and gaining muscle. This is hard, but like you said, it will be hard, but it is going to bring us so much when we are done with it. I am so happy to have communication from you. It makes me feel so much better.
Speaking of me looking a little different you should look at a few pictures of me. Okay, you are right - I don't have a camera, but let me tell you a story.
Last Sunday I couldn't go to the LDS Branch again, but the Lutheran Chaplain here told us we were going to have a non-denominational Christian Bible study on Sunday and everyone was invited. So I figured why not. I went with about 50 other guys from our company to listen to what he had to say. It was good. I had a good time mentally comparing and contrasting what he was saying with what we believe. I love our church. There is no ambiguity. There is one way of looking at things and it's not, "how do you feel about what this scripture says." It is, "this scripture says this, how do you feel about that?" Anyway, I had a good time and he was really enjoyable to listen to and I learned more about general Christian religions. (Don't worry I am not changing religions any time soon.)
Anyway, on Wednesday there is a Bible Study Class and I thought I would check that out too - beats cleaning with 300 other guys that have no clue what they're doing. We watched a cool video that I will tell you about later. What does this story have to do with a picture of me? Here you are: there was a lady there that took pictures of all the soldiers who came to the meeting and has posted them to facebook. All you have to do is go to facebook and . . . Hopefully you will be able to find it from there.
I think there are two of the congregation - yes I happen to be on the front row (not planned).
![]() |
| Brandon is on the front row in the second seat on the left side. |
And another with me and some other guys. I am holding up the little card that is in this envelope. Yes, I love you Val!
![]() |
| Brandon is on the right |
. . .
My roommates told me that when I was here the first day they thought I was kind of scary looking - the bald head I guess. They told me that I looked like a really scary Russian guy that no one wants to mess with. That made me laugh a bit.
I have also gotten the start of two nick names, but both have not stuck yet though. They are Frankenstein and Egore. It makes me laugh. I have always wanted a military nickname, but it makes me laugh that these two monsters are what people think of when they see me. I don't think I am going to get picked on. I am glad.
. . .
I just have to let you know that I am trying to share the gospel all the time down here. I have talked to a lot of people about gospel topics. A lot of them tell me I sound like I am a preacher. I tell them that I am a Deacon, Teacher, Priest, and Elder in my religion. That throws them for a loop. I have shared my beliefs with a least 5 or 6 guys in my company and one guy said he wanted to go with me to church on Sunday. That made me happy. We will see what happens.
I am having a good time here. It is different. I don't want it to last forever, but it is a good experience I was just thinking to myself how I loved my mission companions as roommates; I hated my college roommates (except you); and so far I really like all my platoon roommates. No one is really violent at all and for the most part everyone gets along.
![]() |
| I'm pretty sure Brandon is the third guy in on the second row from the left. |
I love you,
Brandon




No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?