Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Inspiration: A sanctuary for families

You probably aren't surprised that my favorite conference talk was Neil L Anderson's talk "Children."  In 6 months I'm going to have three kids under the age of 18 months and I KNOW I'm going to get a lot of stares.  Anyway here is my favorite part of the talk.  I thought I'd insert some comments to let you know what our home sounded like while I listened to this talk.

As the world increasingly asks, “Are these all yours?” we thank you for creating within the Church a sanctuary for families, where we honor and help mothers with children.

["Crash! Bang!"  Brandon discovers that Charlotte and Lydia have pushed his Dremel tool box off of his tool box.  "Hey get out of here," he says.]

To a righteous father, there are no words sufficient to express the gratitude and love he feels for his wife’s incalculable gift of bearing and caring for their children.
Elder Mason had another experience just weeks after his marriage that helped him prioritize his family responsibilities. He said:
["Clang,  Bang, Clang, Clang!"  Charlotte starts banging keys against the washer.]

“Marie and I had rationalized that to get me through medical school it would be necessary for her to remain in the workplace. Although this was not what we [wanted] to do, children would have to come later. [While looking at a Church magazine at my parents’ home] I saw an article by Elder Spencer W. Kimball, then of the Quorum of the Twelve, [highlighting] responsibilities associated with marriage. According to Elder Kimball, one sacred responsibility was to multiply and replenish the earth. My parents’ home was [close to] the Church Administration Building. I immediately walked to the offices, and 30 minutes after reading his article, I found myself sitting across the desk from Elder Spencer W. Kimball.” (This wouldn’t be so easy today.)
["Oooooohhhhh   Ahhhhhhhh  Ooooooooo" Charlotte and Lydia start singing to each other]

“I explained that I wanted to become a doctor. There was no alternative but to postpone having our family. Elder Kimball listened patiently and then responded in a soft voice, ‘Brother Mason, would the Lord want you to break one of his important commandments in order for you to become a doctor? With the help of the Lord, you can have your family and still become a doctor. Where is your faith?’”
Elder Mason continued: “Our first child was born less than a year later. Marie and I worked hard, and the Lord opened the windows of heaven.” The Masons were blessed with two more children before he graduated from medical school four years later.9

["Yeack" Charlotte spits up]

Across the world, this is a time of economic instability and financial uncertainty. In April general conference, President Thomas S. Monson said: “If you are concerned about providing financially for a wife and family, may I assure you that there is no shame in a couple having to scrimp and save. It is generally during these challenging times that you will grow closer together as you learn to sacrifice and to make difficult decisions.”10
Aside from Charlotte and Lydia creating a huge degree of situational irony I loved this talk, and it made me feel good about my decision to have another kid so soon.  

1 comment:

  1. I loved this talk as well!! Made me ponder all of the blessings we have received while going to school with kids :) I've also been reading "Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle" and they had 10 kids all throughout his crazy schooling and then busy professional life.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers