Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Inspiration: Truly Successful People

I've always been a fan of Mr Rogers. As a kid I appreciated that he spoke right to me. He didn't pander or talk down like the characters on Sesame Street did. He explained things. And he encouraged imagination. Everyday I looked forward to 1:00 when his show came on.
In high school I read two quotes from a commencement speech he gave at Middlebury College in May 2001. They have become two of my favorite sayings. I've tried to live my life by these two quotes.
The outside things of life are not really the important things. It's our insides that make up who we are, that allow us to dream and wonder and feel for others. That's what's essential. That's what will always make the biggest difference in the world.
and
The thing I remember best about the truly successful people I have met is their obvious delight in what they do.
Today I googled these quotes so I could find the whole speech. I found one more quote that I want to share. It's in all caps because that is how the speech was published by the college.
WE DON'T ALWAYS SUCCEED IN WHAT WE TRY - CERTAINLY NOT BY THE WORLD'S STANDARDS - BUT IT'S NOT THE HONORS AND THE PRIZES AND THE FANCY OUTSIDES OF LIFE WHICH ULTIMATELY NOURISH OUR SOULS. IT'S THE KNOWING THAT WE CAN BE TRUSTED, THAT WE NEVER HAVE TO FEAR THE TRUTH, THAT THE BED-ROCK OF OUR VERY BEING IS GOOD STUFF.
Thanks Mr Rogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers