Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

How to hide a sander


Brandon turned 26 yesterday. I've never been great at giving him birthday presents. Two years ago the first birthday I celebrated with him was about 5 days after we decided to become boyfriend and girlfriend. And last year we had just gone down to Arizona for his twin brother's wedding. I don't even remember what I gave him for that birthday. ( I have a sneaking horror that I didn't get him anything!) So this year I knew I had to do a good job. A few months ago he told me he wanted a sander he even showed me what kind he wanted. I still had to get the serial number from him to make sure I had the right one.
I ordered the sander online and was about to have it shipped to our apartment when I realized that with Emily's wedding we wouldn't be at the apartment much. I didn't want the package to sit on the doorstep for days so I sent the package to my parents house instead. Then I got a sneaky idea. With the package going to may parents house Brandon wouldn't know the sander had been delivered. I could pretend that I hadn't even ordered it yet. So I told Brandon that we couldn't afford the sander with this paycheck but we could get it with the next one.
Well the package showed up at my parents house and I had my Mom wrap it like a wedding present. I even had her put a card on it saying, "to Emily and David from Uncle Spencer." Brandon and I were in charge of taking the wedding presents from Salt Lake to Logan where they would be picked up by Emily and David after their honeymoon. It was simple to add the fake wedding present to the stack of presents. Brandon even asked me, "whose Uncle Spencer?" I told him that he was some relative that we didn't really see a lot but had sent a present to the house. Brandon bought it without batting an eye.
Once the presents were in a pile in our living room I took out the fake present and hid it in a cupboard. Yesterday I pulled it out and gave it to Brandon. He was totally surprised by a sander. I think he was even more surprised by the fact that I was able to keep a secret from him for over three weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Brandon. Good job with the gift Valerie.

    Like the Clarance the guardian angel from 'It's A Wonderful Life' said, "No man is a failure who has tools". Something like that.

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Brandon. Good job with the present Valerie.

    Like the guardian angel from 'It's A Wonderful Life' said, "No man is a failure who has tools".

    Something like that.

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never know what to get John for gifts :P That's hilarious what you did, good job! Happy birthday, Brandon!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers