I've had a few theories, assumptions, and ideas of what the answers to these questions are, but I haven't had any solid answers. And even now, a mere week away from graduation, I still don't have real answers to all those questions. But I do know some things. And I feel like I now know enough that it's worth updating you all. Of course posting the things that I do know will probably result in you all asking me more questions that I don't know the answer to, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
When will Brandon Graduate?
He graduates next Wednesday on 12-12-12. Isn't that cool? As of Monday night he'd finished up all the "hard" stuff for Basic Training. These last few days are spent cleaning equipment and getting ready for graduation. Brandon is getting very excited to be done (and to see me.)
What is Brandon's MOS?
As of last Monday, Brandon is no longer working to be a Green Beret. This was not upsetting or unexpected. Brandon was willing to give the whole Green Beret thing a shot, but it wasn't his dream. Now his MOS (military job) is Infantry which is still an impressive accomplishment. He'll do Infantry stuff (whatever that is) while he works on applying for Warrant Officer Flight School.
What does he need to apply to flight school?
He meets all of the requirements except: 1. Finish Basic Training (that will be checked off next week) and 2. take a flight aptitude test (he'll do that over Christmas). Then he can start the long process of applying.
Where are you going to live?
No longer being on the Green Beret track changes where we expect to be living. According to the old plan Brandon would have gone back to Fort Benning for 3 weeks in January. After that he would have moved to Fort Bragg in North Carolina. The kids and I would have been able to join him after a few months. Now things are different. Brandon can actually be assigned ANYWHERE. He has yet to be assigned. My top wish is for Fort Carson near Colorado Springs CO, but really I'd be happy anywhere. The only sad thing is that my best friend's is currently at Fort Bragg with her husband. I was looking forward to hanging out with her.
When will you and the kids be able to join Brandon?
Thanks to the fact that we haven't been able to talk to each other much during the past 3 months I incorrectly assumed that Brandon would start his AIT (Advanced Individual Training) in January. I knew that we wouldn't be able to be together during that time. I had no idea when we would be together as a family. But then yesterday Brandon and I were talking and I asked him why his basic training was 14 weeks long instead of the 8 or 9 weeks that everyone else seems to do. Much to my surprise Brandon told me that he's actually been doing his AIT during the past few weeks. I was over joyed by this unexpected news because it means that we can move with him to his first duty station basically RIGHT AWAY.
So when are you moving?
This is one of those lovely questions that I don't know the answer to right now. Heck, I don't even know where he is assigned yet - let alone when we can go there. Most likely, he will report to Fort Wherever after graduation. Then he will come home for Christmas leave. He'll go back after Christmas and get things ready for us to join him. He'll hopefully get a few days leave to come back and help us move. I'm hoping we will be together sometime in February.
When will Brandon be home for Christmas?
I used to know the answer to this question. It was the 18th. However, with the change from Green Beret to Infantry came a change in travel plans. Now it all depends on when Brandon gets leave from Fort Wherever.
So that's what I do know. And it's actually a lot more than I knew two days ago. Feel free to leave comments with any questions you have. I'll answer them as soon as I know more.

Well, it's at least nice to know some things isn't it? Can't wait to hear where you guys end up going.
ReplyDeletemaybe you'll get stationed in AK and you can be by me :D
ReplyDelete