Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Week Thirteen: Really, we are at 13 already?

I seriously had to scroll down to last week's post to see what week we are on.  I can't believe we just finished week 13.  That means we are in week 14.  And that means we are almost done!  I just have to get through 6 more days and then I will be on my way to Georgia to spend some quality time alone with myself and then with my man.  And soon after that Brandon will be coming home for Christmas.  (The exact date is currently up in the air.)

This past week can be easily divided into three main subjects.  1. We were all sick. 2. I went dumpster diving. and 3. We went to three parties.  Let's discuss.

1.  We were all sick.  I'm trying to remember who was sick with what on what day, but really its all just a blur of clingy kids, laying on the couch, and movies over and over again.  
Highlights/lowlights include: Charlotte and Lydia holding hands while they both laid on me; Derrick throwing up on me, and my mother-in-law coming to the rescue and staying the night after Derrick threw up on me.  Now the kids are mostly all better, and it's my turn to be sick.  I'm not feeling well at all.  Thankfully the kids all went down for a nap at the same time and slept close to three hours.  I got a lot of rest that way.  And they all went to bed easily tonight so as soon as I'm done with this blog I'll be going to sleep too.  

2.  I went dumpster diving.  On Thursday (I think) Lydia put her boots on and asked to go "side."  I decided that we all could use some fresh air so I got us all the rest of the way ready and we went outside.  It was a very nice day and I think we were all happy to be breathing fresh air. 

While we were outside I took our trash out to the dumpster.  What I found out there made me stop short.  Normally around the end of the month there is some furniture in the dumpster.  People move out and can't take everything with them.  For whatever reason they decide to just throw away perfectly good stuff rather than find a new owner for it or take it to DI.  It drives my frugal heart crazy, but I usually can just let it go.  

However, what I saw on this day I couldn't let go.  I saw this lovely 10 drawer dresser sitting by the dumpster.  All the drawers were in the dumpster.  
 I walked away, but only long enough to go knock on my neighbor,Danielle's door and ask her to hold Derrick while I climbed into the dumpster to get the drawers out.

A pair of smelly socks and some elbow grease later, and this is what the kids' new dresser looks like.  I'm so excited by this dresser.  The day before I had been thinking about going to DI to look for a dresser for Derrick.  Now I have a dresser that holds all the kids clothes in one place.  I love all the drawers because they help me keep things separate.
 The girls' old dresser became my new one.  Now I have an extra drawer.  And it's taller, which is nice because Charlotte could reach up and get my package of gum from on top of my old dresser.

The old dresser is hanging out on Brandon's empty side of the closet.  Once we know more anything about where we are moving we'll make a decision about what to do with that dresser.  

Here are just some random pictures from the week.  This is Derrick trying to steal Lydia's food.  I've started calling him "Mr Grabby Hands" because he's always trying to take things from Charlotte and Lydia.  All's fair in family life though.  They do it back to him just as much.  







And here is Derrick pulling himself up.  He is such a little ham.  As soon as he sees the camera he flashes that million dollar smile.  I joke that he will be an actor because he loves attention and cameras.  
 3.  We went to 3 parties in the first 2 days of December. All week long I kept hoping that we would be healthy enough on Saturday to get out of the house and party.  We were lucky and the clouds of sickness parted on Saturday morning.

 My cousin Martin will be getting married this month.  He had a "Pre-ception" (pre-wedding, casual reception) on Saturday for all of us Utah folk.  There was a photo booth there.  Here's Lydia modeling a princess dress.
 Charlotte and Lydia enjoyed eating at the table - even if they couldn't see their food.
 We left the pre-ception early and went to a reunion for my married student ward.  Brandon and I were in that ward for the first 3 years we were married.  I loved the people in that ward.  Many of them are still my good friends on facebook and blogger (Hi Y'all).  There was just something so special about being young, poor, and in school together.  Now we are moving on, getting real jobs, buying houses, and having kids.

And boy are we having kids!  Everyone who attended either had 2 kids already or was pregnant with the second kid.  What's crazy to me is that I somehow have the most kids out of all the people who attended our little reunion.  Yeah me, who spent most of the three years in that ward wondering if I would ever get pregnant.  Five of the women in this picture had babies before I was even pregnant.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but part of me was very jealous of these women.  I wonder what I would have done if I'd known I'd have 3 kids within 2 years of moving out of the ward.
Anyway, it was wonderful to see everyone and catch up.  The kids all played together really well (and so did the husbands.)  And I'll admit it- seeing Amber's beautiful house did make me kind of want one - one day.

We came home from the party and Derrick started acting sick again.  He ended up throwing up on me.  My mother in law came to the rescue.  Not only did she stay over night, but she also cleaned up my kitchen.

Then on Sunday it was my turn to be sick.  I wasn't too bad so we still went to church.  After church I was faced with a dilemma   I could go home and be sick while being in charge of three little kids, or I could take the kids to a little birthday party for my father in-law.  I'd have to drive to the party but once I got there there would be other adults who could help with my kids.  The fact that dinner was part of the party swayed my decision that way.  So we went to Ogden.

The girls had fun, but I was a little partied out.  Still it was better than being the only adult at home.  So it was worth it.
And today, I've just been sick. I hope I get better soon.  I have a huge list of things to do before getting on a plane next Monday morning.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME dumpster find!!! Get feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love good furniture "finds." Yay for being so close to seeing Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dresser is awesome! A dumpster, really?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers