Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

All I want for Christmas is you

A few months ago I though it would be a good idea to have all the Christmas shopping done before I left for Georgia.  I was going to get myself gift cards for clothes.  I was going to buy toy cars/trucks/airplane/etc for the kids. I was going to get movies for Brandon.  I imagined the beauty of already wrapped presents greeting me when I came home.  Did it happen?  No.  Cash flow wise it is better to wait until after I'm home from Georgia before spending money on Christmas.  

Then I decided I would at least have all the homemade presents finished by the time I left.  There were several projects that I thought would be cute and fun to do.  I wanted to scrapbook Brandon's mission stuff for him.  I thought about finishing the girls' receiving-blanket quilts I started last year. I had a cute idea for gifts to give family members.  Did those happen?  No.  A week of evil colds and an uncharacteristically clingy baby eliminated any chance of spare time for crafting.  Heck, I could barely keep the house clean.  

I did manage to get the Christmas decorations up. The kids and I did it over several days.  Now the tree is up, the lights are strung, the ornaments are out, the manger scenes are set up, and the stockings are hung.   

I got a little nostalgic putting up the tree without Brandon.  Six years ago I bought this tree when we were dating.  When Brandon and I put up the tree that first time we started a tradition of laying under the tree and looking up at the lights.  Over the years we made sure we laid under the tree and told each other that we were each others best Christmas presents.  The kids and I continued that tradition this year.  But of course our very best Christmas present wont show up for a few more weeks.  

As cliche as it is, Brandon's presence really is the only present I want for Christmas this year.  Who cares about clothes, toys, homemade quilts, or anything else.  I just want to hang out with him.  I want to lay under the Christmas tree and look up at the lights with him while surrounded by our three kids.   

Here's what our tree looks like.  In the interest of preserving our nice ornaments (and my sanity) I didn't put many ornaments on the tree.  Instead it has ribbons and flowers on it.  I actually really like how it looks.  
 We've been given lots of manger scenes over the years.  This is one that my grandma gave us.
Despite owning many manger scenes I didn't LOVE any of them. Last year I finally found a manger scene that I loved.  I was at Brandon's grandma's house for a Christmas party.  In an effort to make conversation I mentioned that I liked her manger scene.  She replied that she had made it.  That made me like it even more. When we went home that night I told Brandon that I wanted his grandma's manger scene if she ever died.  I had no idea that within 4 months she would pass away.  When Brandon's parents asked us if we wanted any of her stuff I immediately piped up that I wanted the manger scene.  And I got it.  I was so excited to put it up this year.  
 I wish I had asked Ruth some follow up questions when she told me that she made it.  Did she mean that she had crafted each piece out of ceramic.  Or did she mean she had painted each piece.  Oh well I love the set and it helps me feel connected to Ruth.
 As I learned last year, it's not Christmas without the ornaments that my mother-in-law has been painting for years.  I put up Christmas lights and then hung the ornaments up along with them.
 The girls love pointing to all the different Christmas characters.  I had plans to make some sort of advent calender and get out one ornament each day.  But that's something that will have to wait for another year.
I put the stockings above the window.  I can't believe we have 5 stockings this year. 
 Here is another manger scene.  This one is on a shelf at kid level.  I couldn't deprive the kids of the fun of playing with the Christmas decorations.
 Usually I do a cute little display on top of the bookcases.  But this year I plan on putting presents on top the the bookcases to keep them away from little hands.  So I just left it blank.
 Same with the top of the TV stand.  (Don't you just love how Brandon's model airplanes are part of our regular living room decor.)
Again, I know it's cliche, but even with all our usual decorations Christmas wont be complete without Brandon here to enjoy them with me.  

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it is surprising when I realize how much doesn't really matter. I also have things that I have wanted to do with Anika this year, but that she is still only 2 and I can still do it with her next year :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers