Brandon was sworn into active duty in the army today. I took the kids out to my parents and then met Brandon at the MEPS place. We waited FOREVER for his turn to get sworn in. It was nice to see him again, but oh my gosh it was boring. I'm so glad I didn't bring the kids. There is no way they would have been good for even 5 minutes of waiting.
Eventually they took Brandon back, and I got to wait some more. Then they took the family members into a room where the solders were standing. Brandon and two other guys were standing with their hands behind their backs and staring forward. It was kind of unnerving so see him so still and silent. I was afraid that I would make eye contact with him and then start giggling. So I stayed behind him most of the time. A Sargent came in and talked to us about what an honor it is to join the military. Less than 1% of the United States population currently serves in the military. Only 50% of applicants actually qualify to be sworn in. He said that it is an honorable thing to do. He also said that whatever our reasons for joining the military are, they are all good reasons. He said that the swear in ceremony represents a giant leap forward in the life of the soldiers.
After Brandon repeated the oath he was able to actually talk to me again. I'm so proud of him.
Brandon's dad was able to be there as well. He served in the National Guard in the 70's, and he is very proud of Brandon too.
I could have stayed at the MEPS place with Brandon a little longer, but I was pretty sick of that place. Plus I just wanted to say goodbye and start moving on. So I gave Brandon one last hug and kiss and I was out of there. He's still in town until tomorrow so technically I could have taken the kids and seen him again tonight, but I felt like we've already drug this goodbye thing out long enough.
Here are some answers to the questions I've been getting a lot over the past few days:
Where is he going?
He is going to basic training at Fort Benning in Georgia.
How long will it last?
16 weeks. He will be on leave again around from the middle of December until January.
What is his MOS (Military Occupation Specialty)?
Special Forces, also known as Green Beret. He doesn't know what he will specialize in yet
.
What is his rank?
Specialist. That's higher than a Private. He starts out higher because he has a college degree.
How are you doing?
I'm actually doing just fine. For real. I've been waiting for this day for so long so it's nice to have it finally happen. And there are so many good things that come with this change. For instance, Brandon has health insurance for the first time in over 2 years! And Brandon will be making more money than either of us have ever made before. Plus there is a housing allowance on top of that. So we are going to be able to afford making double payments on the student loans.
Won't you be lonely/need help?
Well, my sister is moving in with me to help with the girls and to make sure I eat more than just cereal all the time. And if tonight is any indication of things to come my neighbors will make sure I'm okay. In the half hour after I got home I talked to about 8 of my neighbors. Two of them held Derrick while I "took the girls on a walk." As I put the girls to bed the RS president knocked on the door to tell me that my car door was slightly ajar. (At least I didn't leave a kid in the car). After I put the girls to bed I went outside to throw away the trash and check the mail. I ended up being out there for 20 minutes because I ran into the RS President and her husband, my upstairs neighbors, and then my friend Danielle. I finally retreated into the house when I saw yet another neighbor drive up. I wanted to get inside before I had to play another round of "is Brandon gone, and how are you?"
What do you plan to do while Brandon is gone?
Everything! I have a huge list of things I want to work on at night. And during the day I plan on playing. Consider this an invitation. I want to hang out with YOU. (Yes, even you people who think I don't remember you. You'd be surprised how many people I remember) Facebook me, call me, comment, whatever. Let's get together. I have a car all to myself (for the first time in my life) and I'll come to you if needed.
So yeah, things are great. I'm so glad we are done waiting for this day to come.






I made it into the blog, by name even! I'm officially cool now but I think I'll be losing my cool status at being this excited to be in your blog.
ReplyDeleteAs you well know, I will help. I am NOT too busy even though people think I am with Lily. And we always have cute Hello Kitty snacks to share with sweet neighbor girls.
Oh, I know how you feel with just getting the goodbye part done and over with. That's wonderful that your sister is moving in with you! As stressful as some personality conflicts were while living with my in-laws when John was gone, it was TOTALLY WONDERFUL to have adult help with the little ones!! I kind of like being able to drag my kids around when and where I want all the time while John is gone :P Enjoy the benefits that come and stay busy!!
ReplyDeleteWow- you are awesome! I feel like a whiner to have David gone for 2-3 weeks. 16 weeks! I'm so glad you have your sister (and it sounds like your parents and a great ward) to help out. Being alone- and doing things alone- is never a good idea. I'm glad you are mentally and physically prepared! Way to go with moving the clothesline too! Superwoman! :)
ReplyDelete