Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The last of the salad days*

Well, it happened.  I dropped Brandon off at a hotel tonight.  Early tomorrow he will report to the Salt Lake Military Entrance Processing Station and be sworn in as an active duty member of the United States Army.

And how am I doing?  Well right now I'm just fine because I get to stay up late and play around on my blog.  Once I turn off the computer it might be another story.  Tomorrow I'm going out to my parents house as soon as I get the girls dressed and fed.  I have plans to pour all my sadness into digging lots of holes in their backyard.

Anyway, let's recap the last several days.  Brandon's last day of work was a week ago.  We've enjoyed the last week together as a family.  It's been nice to just relax and soak up valuable time together.

Two Friday's ago we went up into the mountains above Bountiful.  We haven't been up there this summer so it was fun to take the jeep and go exploring.  I love living in Davis County because you only have to travel a few miles East or West and you end up in the great outdoors.
 We stopped at the end of the road and had a picnic dinner.
 The girls went on a walk and were so cute together.  I don't know why I dressed them in white when I knew we were going up in the mountains.  They both ended up so dirty.  But oh well, that is what Resolve laundry spray is for.
 Brandon was a stud and fed Derrick.
 Derrick loved being outdoors.  Of course it's kind of hard to tell because he flashes that amazing smile all the time.
 The girls loved walking around but they got scarred when a dirt bike went by.
 On the way back down the sun was amazing.
 We stopped to look at the aftermath of a natural gas pipeline that was put in last year. You can see this trench all over the mountains above Bountiful. This is right where it goes over the mountain.
 The sun was setting as we went back down the hill.  We stopped to watch it set behind Antelope Island.
 Saturday we had the goodbye party that I already blogged about.  Sunday we spoke in church.  Monday wasn't very special because Brandon still had to work.  Tuesday was his last day.  When he came home we had dinner and then took the kids to the Brigham Young Memorial Park in Downtown Salt Lake.  We went there to hear Cherie Call sing.
 The kids all loved hanging out on the blanket.  Charlotte claimed her spot with her Daddy.
 The girls went for an little walk and started holding hands.  All summer I've been trying to get a picture of them doing this.  They always seem to hold hands whenever I don't have the camera.
 But finally I had the camera with me and I could get a few pictures.
 There were lots of people there to hear Cherrie Call sing.
 We sat in the back and enjoyed her uplifting music.  I was afraid she would sing "Leave it like it is" and then I would bawl.  But she didn't.
 After the concert we took the kids to look at the temple.  I explained that Dad and I were sealed in the temple which meant we would always be a family. The kids just wanted to get in the reflecting pool.
 We walked over to the City Creek Center so we could make sure the triple stroller fits in elevators.  It does.
 We stopped to watch the fountain dance.  It was such a perfect evening.  The air was warm, but not hot and the kids were in good moods.
 On Wednesday we took a drive up to Brandon's parents new house.  Or rather the site of their new house. Brandon's dad was working on getting the footings for the foundation poured.  Here is Steve working on the footings for the garage.
 And here are the footings for the house.
 Steve has wanted to build his own house for years.  I'm so happy that he finally is able to do it.  If you click here you can read his blog about the process.
 Wednesday afternoon we took the kids to my parents house so Brandon and I could go run some errands.  We ran the errands and went out on a date to Cafe Rio.

I can't remember anything specific that we did on Thursday.  I think we just hung around the house and enjoyed being together.  Brandon rigged up this toy thingy for Derrick.  Brandon was feeling bad for Derrick because the girls always steal his toys.  So far they have left this alone.
Friday afternoon we went for a drive to the Farmington Bay Bird Refuge.  We've wanted to go there for a while, but it closes at 5:00 so we've never had a chance.  We walked around for a little bit.  There was a storm coming in and there was lots of thunder and lightning.  Soon we all ended up in the front seat of the jeep while we waited for the storm to pass.  I'd forgotten the camera so Brandon took this picture with his phone.  
Friday night we had Brandon's cousins over for dinner.  In the course of the evening Brandon started telling his famous "Grandpa Stories."  Right before he really got into them I remembered that I've always wanted to film him telling these stories.  So I hurried and set up the camera.  You really should watch this movie- it will make you laugh.  Sorry for some of the background noise.   
 Saturday we went on a walk to the park and enjoyed a picnic. The picnic included oreo's which the girls loved.
 It stared raining during our lunch so we were joined by a soccer team and their fans while they waited out the storm.
 The rain passed and we went out to play.
 The girls love to swing.  They could do it all day.
 Here is a little random moment from Saturday.  Charlotte started out in the box.  Lydia joined her.  And then they both pointed to Derrick and then to the box.  So I added him as well.
 I realized I hadn't taken pictures of the kids sleeping in a while.  So I took this one of Derrick. He started sleeping though the night last week!  Sometimes it's all the way through until 8:00 and sometimes is only until 6:00.  I'm happy I don't have to wake up at 1:30 any more.
 And here are the girls.  Thankfully they haven't figured out how to climb out of their cribs.  We have no plans for moving them into toddler beds any time soon.
 On Sunday Brandon gave each kid a special present.  A framed picture of him and each of them.
 We keep these pictures on a shelf where the girls can reach them.  That way they can hold the picture whenever they want.  I want them to remember that they have a Daddy even though he isn't around.
 Brandon also gave each of us a priesthood blessing.  I have faith that the blessings will help the kids understand why Brandon is gone.  We also took the kids up the the Bountiful Temple.  We told them that this is where we were married.  Once again I got lucky and was able to take this super cute picture.
 Something else happened on Sunday.  I got a new calling!  I'm now the Gospel Doctrine teacher for adults in our branch.  I am so excited for this calling.  Especially since it gives me something to think about besides Brandon's absence.

We spent today doing laundry and packing.  I wanted Brandon to pack up all his clothes so I wouldn't miss him every time I saw them.  Plus my sister Hillary will need the closet space when she moves in.  I laid on the bed and watched him fold up all his shirts and pants.  As I watched him I couldn't help smiling.  He folded everything so precisely.  He's going to do just fine in the military.

The last thing Brandon did before we left was vacuum the living room floor.  The girls got on the couch and shrieked with joy every time he ran the vacuum into the couch.  Then he helped put shoes on the girls' feet and put Derrick into his car seat.  We all went out to the car and drove to the hotel.
At the hotel he gave each of us a long hug and a kiss.  I started to get a little sad.  But I put on a brave face and got into the drivers side of the car.  I hoped to get out of there as fast as possible.  But the car wouldn't start!  All sad thoughts instantly disappeared as I became the one in charge and responsible for solving the problem.  Fortunately, Brandon came back and helped me out.  After waiting a few minutes the car started just fine.  The engine was flooded somehow (which was my first thought anyway) I think it was Heavenly Father's way of keeping me from having too much of a pity party.

I brought the girls home and we all ate ice cream.  I told them that Daddy going into the army was a happy thing.  Then they bounced off the walls for awhile before it was time for bed.  Bedtime went just fine and so here we are: the kids asleep, me blogging, and Brandon gone.  The next phase of my life has just begun.
     
*for those of you who are wondering, dictionary.com defines salad days as "a period of youthful inexperience" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers