Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

In Brandon's words: Letter dated Sept 12

I received a letter from Brandon today!  Unfortunately it was written while he was still in Reception so I still don't have his mailing address.  Hopefully that comes soon.  In the meantime I thought you'd all be interested to read most of Brandon's letter. (I've taken out the extra mushy and personal stuff) 

September 11, 2012

Valerie,
I love you.  I am having a pretty good time so far, but it is boring.  I am still in Reception and haven't done one pushup all week.  We just stand in line and slowly get everything done that we need to before we ship (go) to basic training.

I have some pretty good bunk mates next to me.  Josh W from Grand Junction, CO, and Ryan B from South Carolina.  Ryan is 22 and Josh is 18.  I like talking to Ryan more - he is older and more mature and doesn't swear as much as others.  Josh is way cool too but he is still 18 so sometimes conversations are limited.  He is waiting for a girl who he wants to marry and he tells me he is always thinking about her.  Last night I told him that he needs to keep her "locked in [his] heart" from that talk.

Neither of them are LDS - in fact no one in my company (very large group of guys - like 300+) is LDS so on Sunday I marched my lonely self to the bus and waited.  I thought I was late, but the protestants (large group) showed up and the bus came for them so I hitched a ride.

I am in a really interesting group of people.  As the head drill sergeant over D (Delta) our company told us yesterday, we are the Worst Company he has ever seen ever in his military career.  He told us that there is way too much arguing and bickering and loud noise while we are supposed to be standing at attention.  Yah, up until last night we did not have a quiet line at all.  - Very weird to me that no one gets it.

I try to be an example as a high ranked newby.  I ask people to by quiet instead of yelling at them to "shut the **** up."  They say right behind my back, "what's your problem," and "stupid specialist thinks he's cool."  I  just pray that I will get shipped to basic and not have a platoon of goons like that.

Anyway last night the head sergeant had a talk with us about it and basically told everyone to "man up."  They chose to be here and they are screwing it up for themselves.  I agree.  Oh by the way, I try to stay at attention on my feet, and eyes facing forward, staring at the same thing forever it seems.  But I am doing it regardless of others.

Today, however, was a lot better.  Everyone got the message (almost everyone) last night.  We were a lot better today, and most everyone was quiet.  All we have to do is get everyone to take care of themselves.  Basic training is not going to be fun if this continues.

Okay we've got a few house keeping procedures for you.  First off as for right now don't send me any candy or junk food or anything like that yet. . . . .

*    *    *
Sorry about the pause.  We just had a drill sergeant come and explain things to our room.  I'm going to get a 36 hour pass for graduation which means I can be signed out for by a relative sometime in December for 36 hours.  So I am prepping you before hand - I would like to do a Georgia Trip with you in December. . . .   So as soon as I find out more info I need you to book a flight to Georgia and a hotel in Columbus Georgia, etc.  

*    *    *
I am having a hard time finding time to write this letter.  It is tomorrow September 12.   . . . .

I am very surprised just how easy it is to share my testimony here.  I was talking today to a kid who has been looking for a religion.  He had a book on Buddism and I started talking to him about our beliefs and other religions.  It was way cool.  

Last night (one reason I didn't get to write this letter last night) I taught my barracks how to make a bunk because we were yelled at because our place looked like garbage.  I was able to get just about everyone quiet (miracle of miracles) and I taught them all.  I was addressed as Specialist Illguth, people were listening, and asking questions, it was fun.  And I won over the confidence of most everyone in the barracks.  I am getting high fives all around.  Today most of the bunks look great.  Yes, I still have a knack for making friends.  

Today some of the guys in the barracks are still thanking me.  Oh the most important part: even though I talked to them for half an hour I did not swear once. (One of my goals when I am through with the Army is to not swear at all  - or at least not have it be my regular vocab) It was a really fun experience.

We got a flue vaccine the other day, and today I have a sore throat and a runny nose all day. Add to that lack of sleep last night and I am feeling pretty crumby.  I hope I can fall asleep fast tonight and sleep all night long.  So that on Friday when we leave I will be ready for whatever comes my way.  I have received so many rumors of what is going to happen in basic training that I have no idea what to expect.  All I know is it is going to be tough, fun, and hopefully a little more liberating than here.

Today when I was adding the girls in the system as dependents the lady noticed they were twins so I asked if she would like to see a picture and she thought they were "soo cute."  She was nice.  All of the people down here that work in the base as civilians are so nice.  They have the cutest southern accents and they say the funniest things.  It is very enjoyable to deal with them while doing all the paperwork and exams and everything.  

I cannot wait to hear about what is going on at home.  I am so curious.  I keep remembering things like Billy's mission homecoming, Dad's house, and the branch.  I hope you write me like a novel.  Above all I can't wait to hear from you!! I love you so much.  I constantly think of you and pray for you.   . . . 

I love you Soooooo! Much!!

Brandon     

3 comments:

  1. Oh that makes me feel good. To know he's doing good and he's having a little of respect from the others. I've been reading your blog hopping for a word about Bran and this was great thanks for posting it. Let me know when you get his semi-perminate address. Love ya Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are in my prayers and thoughts. Brandon may never know what sort of good influence he will have on others. When my brother was in basic people developed a lot of respect for him as he did his best to succeed and stood up for what he knew to be right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you will look back and treasure these letters! What an example he will be (is) to the younger guys there. Maybe this is like a mini-mission? :) You're awesome Val!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers