My first year of Youth Conference was held in Samoa. Okay not the real Samoa – it was a Samoa recreated in Kearns. We did a lot of authentic things because there was a Samoan ward in my stake.
The weekend started out with the plane ride to Samoa on Friday night. Prior to the beginning of the weekend all the participants were issued tickets to fly on “Lost Sheep Airlines.” (The theme was something about finding lost sheep.) The overflow room of the chapel was turned into an airplane cabin. Somehow the people in charge had rigged up a curved ceiling using PVC pipe and painting drop cloths. They set up chairs in rows of three seats with an aisle down the middle. I think there were even Christmas lights set up on the floor to illuminate the aisle. Johnny Lingo was the in-flight movie.
After we arrived at Samoa we went swimming at the Kearns Rec Center which had recently added a new outdoor swimming area. I remember watching a lot of the older teenagers in my ward jump off the high dive. I could barely swim so I didn't even dare go off the low dive.
All the participants slept at their own houses for the night. On Saturday morning we met at the stake recreation property by the 10th/16th ward building. We had a continental breakfast like a hotel would have served.
During the day we did lots of things that we would have done as tourists in Samoa. We were given lava lavas to wear as skirts. We also wore lays and put flowers in our hair. The Samoan girls taught us white girls how to do a traditional dance similar to the hula. The boys learned how to Slap Dance. It was really funny to watch the scrawny white guys learn the dance that required slapping, stomping, and yelling.
I don't remember what we had for lunch but I'm sure it was a lot of authentic Samoan food. I'm pretty certain they served Cocoa Rice. I'd first experienced Cocoa Rice at a Stake 4th of July breakfast when I was about 9 years old. At that breakfast I loaded up my plate with traditional foods such as pancakes, bacon, eggs, and sausage. Then I came to the ladies serving rice in a brown sauce. When they told me it was called cocoa rice I thought, “all right! Chocolate rice!” Instead of the sweet dessert I was expecting I was treated to the most bitter food I have ever eaten.
In the evening my stake hosted the monthly regional dance. I was one of the people that helped decorate the cultural hall with flowers. I remember dancing with a really tall guy from another stake. He was surprised to find out that I was only 14. This was probably my favorite region dance that whole year. I usually didn't enjoy region dances because I didn't know anyone. My stake was in a different region than most of the stakes with kids that went to my Jr high. I'd go to the dances and not participate because I didn't know anyone. In later years all the Kearns stakes would combine for dances and I was actually be with people I knew. Also my stake was dissolved and my ward ended up in a stake that more of my Jr high and high school friends were in. With these changes I enjoyed region dances in High School.
On Sunday we all went to our own wards for church. All the girls in my ward wore their lava-lavas. That evening we gathered in the overflow room/airplane cabin for the trip home from Samoa. My dad was supposed to meet me there. He'd been participating in Youth Conference because he was the bishop. I had his lava-lava for him, but he never showed up. I didn't worry too much about it – I figured he was busy with some last minute bishop stuff.
The plane “took off” and we started watching another in-flight movie. After a few minutes the power flickered and the TV turned off. Then the room went completely dark. Someone came into the plane and told us that the plane had crashed and we were all dead. The person had us follow him to a small dimly lit classroom in another part of the church. We were told that this represented the Telestial Kingdom (click on this link for a description of the LDS church's views of life after death.). A man came in a spoke to us about his life. He said that he had been a murderer and wished that he had lived a more righteous life.
After this slightly horrifying room we were led into the Primary room. This room was more brightly lit. We were told this represented the Terrestrial Kingdom. A man and his wife talked to us about their lives and how they thought they had lived good lives, but they hadn't done enough to achieve the highest kingdom.
I could see where this was going so I was not surprised when we were lead into the chapel. I knew it would represent the Celestial Kingdom. However, I was very surprised when we entered the room. My whole family was there dressed in white. My mom was in her temple dress and my dad was in his temple suit. My sisters and brother were in white outfits that someone in the stake had let them borrow. There were other families there as well. The room was filled with people in white. It looked like heaven.
I was happy to see my family, but I was “too cool” to sit with them. I stayed with the girls in my ward. We all sat down and someone talked to us about the Celestial Kingdom. Then we had testimony meeting. It seems like everyone in the room bore their testimony. I bore mine too.
At the time I don't think I fully appreciated all the thought that went into this Youth Conference. In later years I helped plan several of the stake's youth conferences. In college I worked as a Youth Conference Counselor. I now know how much effort goes into creating a meaningful and fun experience for teenagers. My first year was very successful in that it was fun, memorable, and most importantly it helped me feel the spirit.

No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?