Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Conference art project

Two weeks ago we had an impromptu trip to Rexburg. While we were there we went to a craft store with Emily and David (and my sister Lindsey and her baby Rocklond)
We saw lots of great ideas, but one caught my eye as something we could do right away. I put it together during conference last week.

The basic idea is to hang picture frames with ribbon from a curtain rod. I am lucky enough to have an extra curtain rod, ribbon, and three picture frames that I wasn't using.
At first I wasn't sure what I should put inside the frames. Then I remembered that I have a bunch of squished pennies from places that Brandon and I have been. (These are my favorite souvenirs because they are cheap--51 cents-- and small) I usually just keep them in my purse by I decided to display them. All I had to do to mount them was tape them to paper. It couldn't be simpler.
The other two frames evolved as I worked on them. Each frame came with a piece of card board that was perfectly shaped to act as matting. I glued pink and yellow paper to the cardboard. Then I glued patterned tissue paper with a patter to that.

I still wasn't sure what I would put into the frames. I finally decided on flowers. I took apart some of my artificial flowers and put them back together inside the frame. I had to do some creative taping to get everything to stay where I wanted it. As I put the frame together I noticed how cool the flowers looked when the overlapped onto the matting. This one is my favorite (Sorry it is out of focus)
I stapled the ribbon to the back of the frames with an ordinary stapler. (The staple guns staples were too long and would have shown.) At the top of the ribbon I made a loop big enough to easily fit the curtain rod through and sewed the two ends together.
We hung this up last night. We were going to anchor it in the wall but we couldn't get the screw anchors to grip the cinder block right (story of my life). So instead we put eye-hooks in the ceiling and hung the curtain rod from them with yarn.
Now a boring wall in my bedroom is actually interesting to look at.

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! I'm sure you listened well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew those looked familiar. I realized once i actually read your blog why I had seen the Idea before. good work! I love how the flowers pop out onto the mat board

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers