![]() |
| Brandon took this during some field training last year He was in heaven. |
Every time I think about it my stomach does that little nervous lurch thing. Like I'm thinking about riding a roller coaster or speaking in front of a group of people. Its a scary feeling, but its also an excited feeling. I'm terrified and yet I'm ready. Ready for all the changes.
I KNOW that Brandon is qualified for this position. He already has a private pilots degree with an instrument rating. He has hours and hours of actual flight time and has logged lots of time in the simulators. He's worked in the aviation field doing things like fueling jets and small aircraft, handling baggage, pushing back aircraft, and figuring out the weight and balance of jets. Becoming a helicopter pilot will be easy for him.
But I'm worried that the review board wont select him. I'm worried there will be more qualified candidates, younger candidates, or candidates with more military experience.
There have been so many disappointments over the years as we've chased different aviation careers. Part of me is afraid to get my hopes up.
But I still feel that this time is different. Brandon's decision to join the Army was not something he or I took lightly. In a lot of ways it made no sense, and yet we felt like it was something he was supposed to do. That this is what Heavenly Father wanted him to do. So we pushed aside our doubts and he enlisted in the Army.
At the time he joined we didn't even know about Warrant Officers or that he could apply to a Helicopter Pilot as one. He'd pretty much given up on his dream to get paid to fly. When he did find out about Warrant Officers it seemed like this might by why he felt like he should join the Army - so that he could have an aviation career.
I take comfort in one of my favorite scriptures from the Doctrine and Covenants. It's section 123 and verse 17:
. . . let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power, and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, so see the salvation of God and his arm to be revealed.
Brandon has done all that he can do. His packet was perfect when it was turned in. Now it's up to the review board - and God - to determine what comes next.
Until then, I keep taking deep breaths to steady my nerves. I'll keep you posted.
![]() |
| Brandon riding in a helicopter. Hopefully he'll be flying in one soon. |



No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?