Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Big News and a Request for Help

A few months ago I did something that terrified me.  I applied to be a blogger for our local paper.  I knew I was under-qualified -- the job needed someone with newspaper experience and I've never even taken a journalism class.  But I went ahead and applied anyway because I thought it would be a good learning experience.   

The hardest part of the whole application process was when I wrote my cover letter.  I second guessed every word I wrote.  I knew that letter would be read by someone who wrote for a living, surely they would sneer at my sentence structure and diction.  And I laughed at myself as I tried to talk up my little personal blog that usually only has 100 page views per post.  

And then I screamed as I hit send to submit my cover letter and writing samples.  That was one of the scariest things I've done because it was the first time I've really put myself out there professionally in over 3 years.       

If this was a Disney movie I would tell you that I got the job.  But this is real life.  I didn't even get a "Thank you for your interest e-mail." 

But ever since then I've been wanting to write "for real."  I've thought about trying to get this blog more page views (I promise having Veronica at home was not a publicity stunt).  However, I didn't feel comfortable letting this blog - where I talk A LOT about my kids - be accessed by Google searches.

On Thursday the thought popped into my head to create a new blog for reviews of all the places where Brandon and I have traveled. 

I have not been able to get that thought out of my head.  I honestly can't believe I never thought of it sooner.  I LOVE planning our vacations. I start thinking about them at least 6 months in advance.  I love exploring new places, and finding unexpected stopping places along the way.  After the fun of going on the trip is over I love to reminisce with Brandon about the cool things we have done.  And of course I love blogging about our trips.


This new blog will be different from the way I currently blog about our trips.  On illguthlife I do it more as a journal - a record of what we did each day.  The new blog's posts will talk about each place separately.  I'm going to start out writing about places we've already visited, but I plan to add lots of new material - especially as we move around the country (and maybe even world) throughout Brandon's military career.  

I've spent the weekend giving myself a crash course in professional blogging.  I've learned about things like: blogger vs wordpress, branding, registering a website, something called whols, copyright laws, layout, etc.  

I'm planning on launching the blog in January.  I have a ton of ideas for things I'm going to do.  It's been a long time since I was so excited for something.  I just have one tiny little problem.  

I have no idea what to name the blog.

I want a name that says something like, "I know about lots of cool places to visit in this country. And you should go on vacation to those places because they are awesome.  Oh and bring your kids because they will have fun too."  But shorter and catchier.

Please leave a comment if you have an idea for what to call my blog.  If I pick your suggestion you will have eternal bragging rights.  Also leave a comment if you have any suggestions or encouragement - I need all I can get.  

And don't worry, I'll still write about our day to day adventures on this blog.

4 comments:

  1. YES! We're there!
    -Exploring the world one pit stop at a time-
    -If I Can Go There - Anyone Can
    -Places Melissa Can and CAN"T go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing that would set your blog a part from a lot of other travel blogs is that you travel with children... a lot of children! I love to hear about how you eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches at the end of your zoo trip and how all of the children fall asleep in the car on the way home. I love hearing about how you all got splashed at sea world. It's your little details that make a big difference and that make your voice so apparent in the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some ideas for titles:

    Traveling With Val
    Valerie's Definitive Travel Blog
    The Place To Go For Travel
    Traveling With Curious George
    Curious George Dies!
    In-between places
    Stepping High
    need more . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you registered a domain name I'm assuming you settled on a title. It is nice to write about something other than the kids.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers