But then I started catching on to the fact that Pre-K is a thing, and around here it can start as early as when a child is three years old.
The girls wont be three until October so they miss the deadline for this year. Which makes me glad because I haven't really made up my mind about whether or not I want the girls going to any sort of school before they are in Kindergarten. But I started doing some thinking about whether or not I would want them to go to Pre-K this year if they were old enough.
I've decided that the answer is no - at least for this year. Here are the reasons.
- I don't want to worry about getting everyone ready and out the door at a specific time each morning- especially with a newborn involved.
- The girls will spend enough time in school once they are older, why start it any earlier?
- Having a twin and two younger siblings already teaches the girls plenty about sharing, taking turns, and other needed social skills.
- The girls aren't potty trained yet.
- They already know their letters, numbers, colors, shapes, etc.
- I like that Brandon's schedule is the only one we have to plan our lives around.
- My siblings and I didn't go to pre-school and we turned out just fine.
- I'd still be home with Derrick and Veronica anyway.
And here is the biggest reason of all.
- Kids are only little once. I want my kids to enjoy unstructured days. I want them to have a chance to run around in nothing but underwear/diapers or to put together bizarre clothing combinations. I want them to use their imaginations and make up their own games. I want them to get dirty. I want to be the one to teach them how to do things - even if that means they follow me around and crowd me all day long.
Of course I might be singing a different tune next fall. And who knows what I'll decide to do the next year when the girls will miss the deadline for Kindergarten and be five years old almost the whole school year.
What are your thoughts on pre-school?


I'm pro-preschool, but the definition of preschool seems to vary widely. (When we moved to Stanford, all of Jeff's academic colleagues were very insistent that we needed to put Adam on a preschool waiting list immediately. He was 4 months old. Apparently if you don't go to a trilingual preshool, you are screwed.) Adam will be going to an in-home preschool this year for about 5-6 hours a week. Not a big ordeal. I simply have started to see the limitations in my ability to enrich him intellectually. I don't have the energy or creativity to consistently do new educational things, and he really enjoys things like that. I'm great at imaginiative play, we do that all the time, but motivation is totally my Achilles heel, and so I'm excited to have him be exposed to tiny bits of structure. We'll see how it goes.
ReplyDeletePreschool here is soooo expensive, but I like the idea because I feel like someone else might not butt heads as much with my kids and have a better chance of teaching them something ;) And if you have the baby in September there's still a chance all of your kids could be in high school together, depending on where you live when they start school. Here the birthday deadline is Oct 1 for staring kindergarten.
ReplyDelete*starting. I just couldn't let it go.
ReplyDelete