Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Apparently V-BAC's are important to me

This is a post I wanted to write back in February, but everything was so crazy I never got around to doing it.  It was thinking about it today, and I decided it's still relevant, so here you go.

The twins were born via a C-section because Lydia (Baby B) was breech.  I trusted my doctor's judgement and I was just fine with that procedure.  When Derrick came along a lot of people assumed that I would need to have another C-section.  Most of these people were older and came from the "once you have a C-section you have to have C-sections" generation.  Thanks to some awesome friends who were willing to talk about V-BAC's I knew that a C-section wasn't my only option.

It also helped that I had the same doctor for Derrick that I'd had for the twins.  She knew that a breech baby was the only reason we'd done a C-section.  From my very first visit with my second pregnancy she was totally willing for me to do a V-BAC.  

Derrick was born via a successful and rather uneventful V-BAC.  I compared the two birth experiences a few weeks later.  (You can read that post here.)  I summed up the post with these words.  Having done both I highly recommend vaginal births over C-sections.  But that doesn't make C-sections terrible.  If you have to have one, just go with it.  I think it's good that a lot of labors turn out differently than expected.  It helps you learn quickly that you're a Mom now.  NOTHING is ever going to go exactly like you planned it ever again. The sooner you learn that lesson the better.

I still feel that way, but in February I learned that having the option to V-BAC is rather important to me.  I'm not the type of person who will do a C-section "just because."  Here's how I learned that about myself.  

Getting the IUD out was one of the very first things that had to happen after I found out I was pregnant with Baby D.  I was assigned a doctor and went to her office to have the procedure done.  She took a look at my history and said, "congratulations, you can successfully V-BAC.  But unfortunately you can't do it with me."  She went on to explain that while she fully supported V-BACs, the hospital where she had rights currently didn't allow V-BACs. 

She said that she understood if I switched doctors.  At the time Brandon was at the NTC in California (and still didn't know I was pregnant), my closest relative lived 3 hours away, and I knew maybe less than 10 people in the whole state.  I figured it was probably a good idea to hang on to my doctor for now.  I made a follow up appointment and went home in a daze.  

The prospect of a C-section did have some good points.  Brandon's unit was going to be deployed to Korea in June. A scheduled C-section would help insure that he was home for the baby's birth.  I also could possibly have a tubal ligation at the same time - if that was something I decided to do.  

However, it bugged me that I really had no choice in the matter - and neither did the baby.  I was just fine with a C-section if it was for something like a breech baby or placenta previa (which I like to call placenta premavera because it makes me laugh).  But to HAVE to have a C-section just because the hospital didn't allow V-BACs seemed ridiculous in this day and age.  

The day for my follow up appointment came.  It was actually a "pregnancy class" that was required for all patients to take - regardless of whether or not this was their third pregnancy in as many years.  The doctor had warned me that I would hate the class, but I was a new patient and so there was nothing I could do to get out of it.  

Brandon was home by now (and adjusting to the idea of a 4th baby) and so he watched the kids while I went to the appointment.  He was a little late coming home from work, and traffic was heavier than expected on the 10 mile drive, so I ended up being about 15 minutes late to the class.  When I walked in and interrupted the class the teacher said I would have to reschedule.   

I grumbled under my breath about how I'd already been through two pregnancies and could probably teach her a thing or two.  Then I went to talk to the receptionist to reschedule.  I asked her if there was a different time of day to take the class since this one didn't really work with Brandon's schedule.  She rudely told me no.  And I just as rudely told her not to bother.  I explained that I was already upset that I couldn't have a V-BAC and that I was planning on switching doctors anyway.  As I left the office I slammed the door loud enough that all the people in the class could hear it - that felt good.  

So then I had to find a new doctor - and one that would allow me to V-BAC.  I was worried that it would be a difficult process.  After all this was all new to me, new state, new insurance, new employer, new healthcare providers, and so on.  I vaguely remembered the doctor mentioning to me that the only way I could guarantee a V-BAC was to go with Scott and White healthcare.  At the time that company name had meant nothing to me.  The only reason I even remembered the name was that it closely resembled the name of one of my bishops from my parents' ward.  

So I did a google search and found out that the hospital two freeway exits away was a Scott and White Hospital.  I found a doctor that looked promising and gave him a call.  The receptionist confirmed that they would accept my insurance AND that the doctor could do a V-BAC.  I was so relieved.     

From my very first visit I was so much happier with that doctor.  The staff was better, the office was closer, the wait was shorter, I didn't have to take a class, and best of all my doctor was just fine letting me V-BAC.  

As this pregnancy has progressed I am grateful I took the time to change doctors.  I love that at every visit my doctor will mention that things still look good to V-BAC.  Yes, I'm okay with the idea of having a C-section if I need one, but I'm so glad that I don't HAVE to have one.  

2 comments:

  1. I remember when it was the 200th anniversary of the Constitution of the United States. We were all given a little booklet about the Constitution and encouraged to have a family home evening lesson about freedom. You were two years old in 1987. We held your wiggling, protesting body and learned what lack of freedom meant. Seems like you still possess that appreciation of freedom. Glad you could find a health care system that respects that too. - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this: It helps you learn quickly that you're a Mom now. NOTHING is ever going to go exactly like you planned it ever again.

    I'm glad you found a happier situation too.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers