Prologue
Brandon says that the phrase "when Hell freezes over" pretty much sums up his month at the National Training Center (NTC) in the Mojave Desert in California. It was a long, cold, uncomfortable, and confusing month for him. I've been trying to get him to write about it, but he hasn't been able to find the motivation. A few days ago I read his journal from that month. Now I understand why he doesn't want to relive that experience - even to write about it.
Reading his journal reminded me of the book (novella?) The Heart of Darkness. Brandon's cold, uneventful month reminded me of Marlow's slow, maddening trip up the Congo River. In the book the only thing that kept Marlow sane was his preoccupation with finding enough rivets to keep the boat together. In real life the only thing that kept Brandon sane was this little book that he drew and wrote in constantly.
![]() |
| Brandon's little book |
Before we begin, I have to add that this might have been an okay experience if it hadn't been right after we arrived at Fort Hood. Brandon didn't know anyone in his unit. He didn't know what they were doing either. Everyone else had been training for a year for this rotation at the NTC. Brandon had just got out of basic training. He also was worried about me and the kids living in a new area without any furniture. He couldn't help feel like he could use his time better at home.
Preparation Week
January 10, 2013
Today I got up at 2:30 am to be at [my unit] at 3:00. Val dropped me off and I went in and signed in and was issued my weapon - an M249 SAW. I then pulled weapons guard so everyone else could go home. I had weapons guard from 4:00 am to 12:00 pm. Eight long hours. At about 2:30 everyone got their equipment and went outside. We'd already dropped our other duffel off. We waited until 3:00 when buses finally showed up and finally boarded to go to the airport - I thought. We ended up going to a giant arena gym and eating dinner and waiting for another hour. After which we finally boarded the buses for the airport.
We got to the Killeen airport and there was a 747 sitting on the ramp. I was excited. We got to board the plane through air-stairs and I felt like the President of the US or something. It was fun. I made sure I was one of the first 58 so I could get upstairs. I got a window seat on the top floor about 15 rows back from the cockpit. I'm not sure, but I think we got first class service.
We flew from Killeen to Victorville Cali and landed 20 minutes after we took off - it had been 2 hours and 20 minutes. Then we took a bus ride to the NTC (National Training Center) army base and found our bags and went to go to sleep. We had to wake up at five and eat breakfast and have a roll call, but have basically done nothing since. I've been reading, writing, and sleeping.
January 12
I now have friends here. This morning we went and zeroed the lasers to our sights on our weapons. One of the Lieutenants talked to me and told me to get involved with other so I wasn't alone. After that people kept talking to me and now I have been playing cards all afternoon. Val is doing great too. She got to play with all the neighborhood kids. It's been a good day. Oh and by the way, I love the sight on my weapon. It is nice.
![]() |
| An airplane Brandon dreams of building |
I got to take a class today on driving a robot for an IED detection. IED's (Improvised Explosive Devices) are the biggest problem for the military today - or close to it. We learned how to drive the robot and how it works. It was pretty cool. It has tracks like an army tank and was controlled by a computer console with a game controller attached to it. It had two cameras and two boom arms that you would manipulate to drive it and explore things. That was pretty much all I did today - more than the past few days. I did get a chance to figure out some things and make some drawings for my airplane.
I got to talk to Valerie and text Caleb a bit.
Yesterday I tried to go to church, but I guess it was cancelled due to lack of interest. When I showed up no one was there.
January 15
I hate this place.
I have no where to go for quiet. I dislike commotion - it stresses me out - especially when it is non-stop. Here it is relentless and I am always surrounded by at least 50 people. I had a little quiet time in the latrine today, but even there there were people walking aback and forth and tapping on the latrine curtain. I haven't fully detoxed from basic training, and yet I am already back being completely surrounded by army life.
![]() |
| Math equations (sorry they are upside down) |
My sweet wife always helps me to have a better attitude. I just talked to her about nothing really and I have regained my positive attitude. I guess I will be okay. I can deal with this. I know what to do and I am doing okay at it.
I think the reason I am so frustrated with this place is the fact that I have not been home for more than 1-3 days since basic training. I have had a break but I really haven't had a chance to relax for more than a couple of hours. I have been going non-stop since September. And really done many things to keep me busy since December. The last weeks of basic training are the hardest - then I went to Ft Hood - had to get out of there - got to go home - did Christmas - got ready to move - drove to New Mexico - broke down - spent the whole weekend dealing with that - got to work on Wednesday - dealt with getting my equipment - finished checking in there - then I had to go back to NM to get the jeep - came back - and then had to go to NTC in Cali - very busy.
Yes it is time for a break. But I've had no time to relax. Even when I did watch a movie with Val I had to sit in camp chairs and I didn't get my popcorn. Oh well I guess I will do what I can to work it out. I think I need some time off to just relax with Valerie and the kids and not have to worry about anything.
![]() |
| Brandon's calender of how busy the past few months have been for him. |
The next 16 days were spent "in the box" - this is when they actually went to the desert and started training like they were on a mission in a foreign country. Brandon and the rest of the guys turned in their phones the night before. They wouldn't get to shower again for 16 days.
January 17
It has been a long day of nothing. Apparently that is how the first day of NTC usually is. We woke up this morning freezing, packed our sleep system, got back in the Bradley's [tank-like vehicle to ride around in], and waited for a couple of hours to go and finally get to leave. Inside the Bradley it is dark - pitch black except for the monitor and 1 or 2 tiny cracks in the hull where light and sand can get through. Looking at the computer monitor was like watching an alien movie about creatures flowing through the deserted landscape of an airless planet. It is infrared and also as blurry as can be. I thought maybe the tracks would smooth out the ride [more than tires] but not so. The rest of the day we spent waiting in the cold breeze under the warm sun. I don't think I will be warm again until I get home.
I got to know ___ pretty well. He is pretty cool. We got there about 10:30 - 11:00 and waited outside talking and freezing until the sun went down. Then we got to go to one of the Bradleys and hang out inside of it - have dinner and drill with the operating crew. It was as pretty good day. I am finally starting to feel a little bit at home here. I am sure it will continue.
I miss Valerie, but her assurance that she is having a good time is helping me feel good about this decision. . . .
January 18
This has been an interesting 24 hours of NTC. We haven't done anything. We have been hanging out relaxing in the dirt of the desert and in our Bradleys. We've had a couple of meals and talked a lot and slept on the ground outside and inside the Bradleys. We have been listening to frequencies. We went to get fuel and "hot chow" (it wasn't even warm). But no one has really done anything very exciting. It is funny. After the first few days I kind of wondered if this wasn't how the whole thing was going to be, but I am sure we will do something exciting - after all we have 1 week and 5 days left.
January 19
Yesterday afternoon sucked. We finally got to go on a mission. Me and 5 other guys were put in the commanders Bradley. We drove for 30 seconds and waited for thirty minutes, drove for 30 seconds waited 30 minutes - seriously what should have been a 45 minute ride (I think) took us 3 hours. We didn't get to get out and we didn't get to shoot anything. To top it all off we did it again all over at night. Very sucky day. After we got out the second time I couldn't walk. My legs were so stiff.
Today however, was a great day. I am sitting on the top of a mountain pulling rear security for our team while we are watching the battle played out below. It looks like a lot of Bryan's army micro-machines we had once a long time ago. I am very much enjoying myself. The sun is shining and I don't have to worry about shooting anything.
To top it all off I got to fly in a Black Hawk Helicopter!!! They had our team in the helicopter and took us from our base, flew us around a mountain, landed briefly again and took off to the Southwest. He landed and we undid our seat belts. The door flew open and we jumped out, knelt, and waiting for it to take off. It was way cool! They briefed me on what to do because I had never done it before.
Cooler than that was I got to talk to one of the mechanic guys. He told me all about flying. He mentioned it's easy to get in (I told him I wanted to fly) he said he could take me on a tour of the airport and told me to text him after we get home. Way Awesome Day!
January 20
This is the longest camping trip I have ever been on. It hasn't even been one week. I feel dirty, dusty, and disgusting. I also feel dehydrated.
Last night we drove from 7:30 to 12:30 in the back of the Bradley - cramped and uncomfortable. We camped in the cold until woken up at 5:00. I had to do security fireguard at 2-3 in the morning. When we had had breakfast there was nothing to do so we all slept until 10:30 -11:00 or something (I don't have a watch. I lost it the last week of basic training). Now apparently we have another 8 hour trip again today. It probably wont be 8 hours, but the thought makes me cringe. I do not like Bradley's or being a dismount.
January 21
Well I am getting used to the ridiculousness. I can't wait to get home, but I am enjoying myself. The rides might be long, but I'm getting to know the guys here pretty well. I have come up with a nice idea though. I am [going to do all I can to fly as soon as possible.]
We have been shooting. I have expended 199 rounds since being here and I have another box of 200 to do sometime today and tomorrow.
[Lots of complaining] This place does suck. I am very excited to go home and see Val and the kids. I want to spend some more quality time with them. We will see what the future holds.
January 22
I might be used to it, but it doesn't mean I still like it. [Lots of complaining] Yesterday we drove to the low part of the desert and then basically had dinner and camped for the night. Everyone got on my case about not being loud or aggressive. I will try I really don't know why, but it is difficult for me to be loud. Everyone keeps telling me that I better do a good job and be able to kick in doors etc. I will try my best. If it is not good enough oh well. Maybe there wont be too much of an argument for me to go to aviation.
January 23
I don't know what I am doing here. I have made a few friends and now have verbally fought someone (3 guys at once) about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. I am having a good time even though I am filthy, tired, and sore. I am doing pretty good for myself, but this definitely is not the job for me. I know why I don't fit in. I don't care about, nor do I ever want to kill someone. And I don't like guns. Everyone here talks about women very derogatory and swears too. Everyone here doesn't know why I am here either. They all still tell me to go fly. I have 2 weeks left here and I will be home - Yeah! I can't wait. I miss Valerie like crazy. I think about her all the time. I cannot wait to finally get home. By "home" I mean somewhere with my wife and kids and furniture and TV and food and everything else normal. I miss it so much because I have only had that for 3 days since September.
I can't wait to relax on my couch with my wife and watch a movie with popcorn. I want to watch every movie I own again.
January 24
Well I am going to explain this trip - what has happened so far. We have come here into the desert to do battle scenarios and practice our fighting skills. We are supposed to mount the Bradleys and drive to our target, get out, shoot, kill, obtain the target. That is not what it seems though.
I think they purposely drive all over the place so that we can get disoriented or have a long trip or something then get out and fight. I have been killed in the first two times I attempted this and I showed up the last time basically after was over. This was our path to the battle field from what I could tell through the back window.
![]() |
| Map of the trip to the battle |
Either way we did not, nor have not really done anything up until yesterday and the day before. [On those days] we got out and tried to secure a compound both in the day and night. The first time our Bradley got blown up so we have to bound for about a half mile or more to the objective (where I got shot and had to wait out the rest of the game.) Apparently everyone died. The second time we got out of the Bradley and never heard a gun shot and I died again. Luckily I had a partner every time I died. _____ pretty much has been with me so we just hang out and talk.
It's been interesting. I've been getting to know a lot of people here. Last night I got to know ___ better. And ___ and ____ and ____ and ____ again. I am making a lot of friends. Today it happens to be raining. This is the coldest wettest desert I have ever been to. Ha ha!
![]() |
| Future house plan |
Today was a nothing day so it was Brandon Illguth Architect day as you can see from the pictures. We stayed at our sleeping place all day and I got in trouble when I left my weapon when I went to use the facilities. So I decided to design a house plan for our future house. I finished to bottom floor how I want it. It worked out really well. We made covers for ourselves out of ponchos as we relaxed all day in the rain. We are sleeping under them tonight. I have built up a really good relationship with almost everyone in the platoon now and get along with everybody pretty well.
I am definitely going to run out of room in [this book] before I run out of days to write about. However, I think the next couple of days are going to be really busy and I wont have time.
Saturday January 26th (I think) -- no Friday January 25
Today we got up really early and waited around until 10:00 am or so. Then we mounted the tracks and waited until 12:00 or 2:00 or something - time has no meaning here. This is where I am right now.
I am sooo bored! We do nothing everyday and people complain about doing something. I don't like that. . . .
Positively January 26th Saturday
Only 7 more days to go!! Last night we were woken up at 9:00 pm to go on a "mission." We sat in the back of the Bradley as it went and did it's thing from 9:44 to 4:15 in the morning. We didn't do a thing except add blast to the truck. I was pissed. We came back and it was sprinkling rain. It had been sprinkling rain all day yesterday and didn't stop until about 9:00 am today. Luckily I know how to stay dry. Everyone made this tarp tent and slept under it. The water dripped off and pooled and got everyone wet because it was in the middle of a small shallow basin. I was dry and warm and have been all morning. The rest of today we have done nothing even though the first sergeant came over and got mad at us for wearing beanies and not wearing our full kit. We will see what the rest of the day brings.
It is early evening and we are still on standby. I have gotten to watch A-10 Warthogs and some F-16s fly around and basically just waiting. I hate it here. It sucks. I am out ASAP!!!!
Sunday January 27th
Today we woke up and left early like 4:00 am. I don't know how early it was. We drove and parked forever. Drove, parked even longer, drove, parked, drove, parked, etc. I think with one or two latrine breaks in there too. Oh yeah, while we were parked we played cards. I read the very first part of the Lord of the Rings and that was about it all day long.
Then we drove and parked and talked about the "Most Amazing Day" of battle ever. The guy in charge told us what we could have done differently like stop and inquire whether or not our village was friendly. When he was done talking I was like, "What battle did I miss?" I am so sure this is a training exercise for leaders and they just need grunts to run around with them.
![]() |
| Some sort of schematic |
Last night 20 minutes after going to bed (not even) they woke ___ and I up to get our stuff ready to go. I was furious and I let a few people know too. I was mad that they didn't tell us before we got everything set up. They drove us to a mountain with MREs and water and told us to hike all the equipment up and replace the guys on top. So all day today I have been chilling out (literally, the wind is blowing cold) and drawing and writing in this little book. I don't think much is going to change and we brought enough food until Friday. Hopefully (in my opinion) we will be here until then doing nothing, but sleeping and eating and chilling. Hopefully the wind will die down tonight or tomorrow.
January 29
12 hours straight + or - in the Brad with no break. We tried sleeping, talking, reading, but we were all very uncomfortable. The heat was on full blast and we got ready so fast that we had our snivel gear (long underwear) on all day until each of us in turn took it off. The machine broke down and only an hour and a half after that did we finally get out. I really hate this place!!!
It was in total 15 hours. We got out and went to bed. We drove the Brad to the place where they would fix it and then got a ride to our campsite.
January 30
Today has actually been an okay day. We got up at 6:00 am I think. Everyone left but our squad. Our team is still broke down so we went to the headquarters area and chilled (literally) all morning. I had breakfast and sat down and wrote in my book. Then Sgt ____ told me I looked cold and if I wanted to I could come rack out in his Humvee - so here I am. I am guessing it is about 10:00 - noonish now. No big update. 1 1/2 days left. Yeah!
January 30 continued . . .
Late in the day. We drove up to a rocky terrain area and hooked up with sergeant F____. We got the rest of the platoon together (who had been waiting and climbing in the mountains all day some twice up and down.- Everyone complained) We came back for chow and then drove back up to sleep for the night.
January 31
What did I do today? I don't remember because it is actually tomorrow.
We left early and sat in the track all morning long in full MOP gear (hazardous environment gear ie: gas masks). At about 1:00 ish or so we finally got out and did something! We pulled security. At first we looked for, found, and killed some enemies. Of course my weapon didn't work at first.
Then we loaded, drove some more, and we stopped. We had to patrol down a road to a shack to check a dead body. I pulled security again. I don't mind pulling security. I really don't have to do anything except for look for enemies when I do that.
We then had to clear buildings with full kit MOP suit and gas mask. Many on our team died. Me and ___ survived. Our MILES harnesses (Laser tag type system) are dead so we are alive.
I actually got to shoot people and I think I killed a few guys. Then it took forever to assess casualties and clear out everyone and their gear. I pulled security One of the tracks broke down again and so we waited. The sun started going down so the LT had us put on sleeping bags until 10:00 pm. When we woke up and packed and went to our campsite.
February 1
It's over! We finally did the last mission today. Now I have to get through the last week of laying around and doing nothing at the Ruba.
Today we got up early, mounted the tracks. I guess we waited until it was light. We had another safety brief about how dangerous it is to drive back because everyone is in close proximity to each other. Then mounted the tracks and drove for hours. Sometime in the early afternoon we stopped, got out, walked to the top of a hill, pulled security for about half and hour or so, then walked a longer way back (the tracks had moved) then climbed another hill and pulled security for a while (45 minutes maybe). Then got in the tracks and drove away.
We heard about what great things happened during that mission - again I thought, "was I a part of that mission?" Anyway, we got back into the tracks and drove all afternoon back to the last camp night we were going to have. We had ribs and potatoes for dinner - okay, a tad under cooked - and got ready and went to bed.
"Recovery" Week
February 2
We got up early again to wait. 9:15 rolls around and we finally leave to come home. About 10 miles take 2 hours. We finally roll up to where we need to be and it takes us the entire rest of the day to get everything squared away. We have to bring our rucks and assault packs back. We have to get all the MILES (laser tag system) and other sensitive items accounted for. We have to get our cots, bags, and other boxes from the ConX (trailers). We have to unload all the equipment we've used and clean the tracks. It took forever!
Finally at about 7:00 pm (we got back at 11:00 am) we get our phones back. I finally got to talk to Valerie. She had some news for me . . . her IUD malfunctioned. And during family pass in basic training she got pregnant! She is going to have another baby - 4 kids under 3. We are going to have to get a new car and a lot of other things. Crazy!!! I finally got a shower. I told her about this time in Hell! and we had a great conversation.
February 3
I wish I could say I went to church today, but I didn't. I did fast and pray for my aviation career all day long until dinner. We went back into the desert and picked up litter - all day long. It was long, boring, and tedious - and very annoying to be around so many people who were complaining about having to actually work. At one point they had us do a formation. Not everyone was lined up so they had to count and recount. Finally they made us Dress Right Dress (stand next to each other - shoulder to shoulder) and everyone started complaining . . . I was pretty upset the whole day.
Tonight I called all my siblings and Jake and had pretty pleasant conversations with them about how Valerie is pregnant again - so she could write it on her blog. Everyone told me they were praying for us and they thought we were pretty inspirational. Good Day.
February 4
Today I got up early again to do the garbage detail in the desert. And it was again very lame. They made us get out of our trucks and stand in one long line and walk and pick up trash in the desert. We were supposed to stay inline and all remain next to who we were standing by, but it is impossible with about 150 - 200 guys and 8 people in charge. We got screwed up every single time we walked forward. Then they made us stop and hold our arms out at a double arms interval and get back on line. I felt like I was in Kindergarten. It was pretty ridiculous. I will be so glad to get out of this place.
There were guys smashing down every bush that stood in their path. There were guys who wouldn't even pick up anything, let alone cooperate. I picked up everything.
I had a pleasant conversation with Valerie who is absolutely loving Texas. Something I am very glad for. Her and I have a lot of fun plans for when I get back and hopefully we will be able to accomplish them.
February 5
I spent the entire day outside drawing and writing and texting and talking to Val. I refuse to waste my time lounging about in our shack doing nothing. I am going to try to be even a little productive. So I drew house plans (Brandon the architect) and aircraft plans (Brandon the engineer and I tried to write about this dumb trip for Val's blog.
February 6
Today was the day we were supposed to go home. We didn't. I was so mad all morning long. I hated the fact that I was still here. . . .
February 7
I was finally able to post a message to Valerie's blog. No thanks to smart phones - lots of thanks to smart friends. I texted Val periodically throughout the day and got her to hopefully have a pretty okay birthday. After lunch I talked on the phone to Trevor for almost 4 hours. We caught up pretty well. He is doing great in life. He actually helped me buy a present for Val. He is such an awesome friend.
I also got to talk to Val after the girls went to bed. It was nice. I love hearing her voice. All in all not a hugely productive day. However, I did have fun.
We finally packed up and moved our bags to where they were boxed up. And then we moved to our new location. Sometime around midnight we should be boarding the buses to go to the airport and then to Ft Hood. Hallelujah!!!!
Epilogue
Brandon was told that spending time at the NTC was the worst form of field exercises that he would ever do in the army. My brother-in-law John says that the NTC is the worst place on earth - and he's spent time in Iraq when it was an active war zone. So even though the month was terrible for Brandon it's kind of nice that he got it out of the way at the beginning of his Army career.
When he got home he did get to enjoy his movie and popcorn while sitting on the couch. The first movie we watched was Mission Impossible. The kids watched it with us and liked it too.
Now that he is home he is starting to get into the routine of real army life. He goes to PT (Physical Fitness Training) every weekday morning at about 6:00 am. Then he stays on base and get various things done. He's home every day by 5:00 and some days he's home a lot earlier than that.
One good thing about his time at the NTC is that he is now more motivated than ever to become a Warrant Flight Officer. He knows that the infantry is not somewhere he wants to spend the next 5 years of his life. As I write this he is sitting on the couch reading a study guide for the military flight aptitude test.








I would sympathise, but you have got to remember that Brandon has the best job in the best Army in the world, it's something to be immensely proud about.
ReplyDeleteWhat happened to the 18X thing? Why didn't he go to Airborne and SFAS after OSUT?
He gave up his 18X Contract during basic training. It came down to physical fitness. He was a 30 year old guy and while he could keep up with everything he just wasn't on the level of a Green Beret.
DeleteNTC happened at a bad time for him. Like he says in his journal he just hadn't had time for a break. The last thing he wanted to do was go to the desert and freeze with a bunch of guys he didn't know.
Things are a lot better now that he has had some time to relax and get used to 11B stuff. Right now he is away with his unit again. He likes everything they are doing so much more this time around.
Still, he wants to become a Warrant Officer and fly helicopters as soon as possible. He's a private pilot and flying is his passion.