Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mocking Jay Pin

Every once in a while (like every other week) I get an idea that I do not have the time, talent, or patience to pull off. Fortunately I married an Illguth so this really is a non issue. All I have to say is "Brandon, can you help me?" and success is pretty much guaranteed. I had such an idea a couple weeks ago.

I wanted Brandon to help me make a pin for my sister Hillary. I wanted it to be a Mocking jay pin like in the Books, Hunger Games and Catching Fire. (If you haven't read these books you need to cancel your plans today and go read them - NOW) Basically the Mocking jay pin comes to symbolize a revolution. Hillary is feeling a little oppressed right now so I thought the pin would cheer her up.

Anyway, Brandon got all excited and started carving birds out of sculpy clay.
Here are some of the versions he came up with.
I can't work in this type of detail so I'm glad he was helping me.
This is what the bird looks like without the feathers.
Okay, you have to go with me on this because I didn't get pictures of all the steps, but I promise this is what we did. Brandon made a bird out of clay. Then he cast a plaster mold with it. Then he poured this resin jewelry stuff in the mold and let it harden. Once is was hard he glued a tie tack pin into the back and sprayed the pin gold with enamel paint.
And this is what we got.

Here is the back of the pin.
We gave Hillary the pin on Sunday and she tried it on with her Miss Kearns Dress.
It looks just how I hoped it would.
Here she is with the book and the pin.
Brandon did such a good job getting the pin to look like the one on the cover.

Hillary can't wait to wear the pin when she gives away her crown next week.

3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Wow, you two are so talented. That is amazing just how good that looks. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you taking orders for more mocking jay pins, so we can all join the revolution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon, is there anything you Don't do? You and Valerie are some of the most amazing people I know!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers