Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

The transitory nature of college life

Sunday was stake conference and our Stake Presidency was reorganised. I figured that the new stake president would be somebody I had never heard of. Brandon kept guessing that it would be our bishop. Well, Brandon was right. I'm happy for our bishop but I also feel sad. Student wards aren't like regular wards. The bishop's family doesn't go to our ward so its not like we will still have regular contact with him. Once someone moves on from a student ward you will probably never see them again. It highlights the transitory nature of college life that I have come to know so well. As I sat in Stake conference I thought back over all the different wards I have been in since I went to college. Here is the list

Ephraim College 5th ward
Kearns 5th ward
Ephraim College 4th ward
Ephraim Summer ward (2005)
McKay Ward
Ephraim Summer ward (2006)
Logan University 16th ward
Logan University 61st ward

I've had 7 different bishops in 5 1/2 years. Despite the short amount of time with each bishop they all touched my life. I couldn't tell you what each one has done for me. I just know how I feel when I think about each one. I can't count all the testimonies, blessings, and prayers I've heard those men share. I'm so grateful for these men that take time away from their families and their home wards to lead congregations of college students.

So now add this bishop to the list of bishops that have quietly come into my life, left a giant footprint on my testimony, and then moved on. We'll have another bishop soon. I'm sure he will touch my soul in some way, and then he too will go into my memory as Brandon and I move out of the ward. After going through this so many times you think I would be used to the sadness, but I'm not. It still is hard to say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Well, here's one of your former bishops that hopefully you'll never loose contact with!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers