Southern California Vacation 2026 - Day 3 - Universal Studios
I've been talking about taking the kids to Southern California for like 8 years. Pretty much ever since we moved to Idaho I've dreamed of going to Southern California during spring break. I think those early dreams included a trip to Disneyland. But as the kids got older and we still hadn't done this trip the plan started to shift to going to Universal Studios instead of Disneyland.
I think there were two reasons for that shift. 1. It's slightly cheaper. And 2. It has the words Don't Panic printed on the cover. Wait, that's the Hitchhikers Guide. The real second reason was that we realized we liked more Universal Movies than Disney movies - specifically the Jurassic Park franchise. We knew there was a Jurassic World ride at Universal and we knew there was a small Harry Potter land. And well - that was enough for us. Disney could wait for another time.
Going to Universal was one of the central pillars of this trip. So we made it a big priority. We bought two day passes. The first day would be Monday. The second day would be Wednesday.
On Monday the park opened at 9:00 AM. Our VRBO house was only an 11 minute drive from Universal - we didn't even have to get on any highways. We just had to take Cahuenga Blvd south for a few blocks.
We got up around 7:00 and prepped for the day. We had breakfast. We filled our water bags and packed snacks in the bags as well. We packed things for lunch in a cooler that would stay in the car. Around 7:45 we were ready to leave. We drove to the park and found the big parking garage. I'd already paid over $1000 for two day passes for the six of us so I wasn't exactly thrilled about paying another $40 for general parking, but that's just kind of the name of the game.
We parked in a big parking garage. We were some of the first cars there because it was only about 8:10. I made all the kids put on sunscreen and then we were ready to walk to the park.
We followed the exit signs from the parking garage. (We were in the ET parking garage.) Then we came to what is called the City Walk. This is a bunch of stores and resturants outside of the park. There's even a movie theatre there.
The walk to the park gate took about 10 minutes. The song "Counting Stars" by One Republic was playing as we walked in. For years this has been our unofficial family anthem. It was awesome to hear it playing as we walked down the City Walk toward a great day at Universal Studios.
We had to go through metal detectors to get into the park. We discovered that Charlotte had a pocket knife buried deep in her bag. She'd forgot all about it. So Brandon had to take that back to the car - good thing we got their early.
While he took that back to the car, I had the kids take a picture in front of the Universal Globe that is in front of the official gates into the park.
The park had lots of songs from Universal movies playing. They were all upbeat and happy like the theme from How to Train Your Dragon and the Apollo 13 theme. When Brandon came back the Back to the Future Theme was playing. He was inspired by the music and ran the last little bit.
Soon he was through the metal detectors and we could go to the real gates. I had the tickets on my phone. The gate attendant would scan the code on the QR code on each ticket. Each of us had our index finger scanned. This would make it easier to get into the park if we left during the day and for when we used our pass on the second day.
By this point it was like 8:40. We were able to enter the park and joined a growing group of people forming about 100 feet into the park. There were lots of shops around us, but I don't think any of those would open until 10:00.
At 8:50 they announced that they would start walking our group down the road to the escalators. (At the time I had no idea what that meant.) But if we didn't want to go that far in we could go into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. (AKA Harry Potter Land) That's where we wanted to go first. So we walked with the big group of people for a ways and then headed right at the gates to Harry Potter Land.
This was the PERFECT place to start. There was a lot of mist in the early morning air and it made everything feel extra magical.
We could see Hogwarts Castle looming over us in the distance.
It looked so cool.
There was a ride with a line that started in the castle. We couldn't bring our bags onto the ride so we went to some lockers next to it. I was prepared to pay for the lockers so I wasn't really paying attention enough to realize that there were small free lockers. Instead I paid $10 for two big lockers. We were able to put three backpacks into each locker. Later I kind of kicked myself when I realized that the free lockers existed, but I guess that was just life tuition.
We all went into the castle and took a picture at the front of the line.
The park had barely opened so there was no line at all. We basically sprinted through the corridors that would later be places where you would wait in line.
There were lots of cool things, but I told myself I'd take pictures later when we were in a longer line. Soon we were at the seating area. Brandon and Charlotte and Lydia went together. I was supposed to go with Derrick and Veronica. But we made a tragic discovery. I didn't fit in the chair. Like I could sit okay, but the overhead harness thing just couldn't click in place over my chest and belly. So Derrick and Veronica went on the ride and I just waited at the end.
I was starting to feel a little miffed about this whole Universal thing. I'd paid for the tickets, I'd paid for parking, I'd paid for lockers, and now I didn't fit in the seat for the first ride! What kind of trip was this going to be?
But I tried to put on a happy face for everyone as they got off the ride. Everyone had loved the ride. It had been some sort of broom riding simulation. They described how real it felt.
We left the ride and then decided to go on the roller coaster "Flight of the Hippogriff." I did fit on this ride - and I would fit on every ride after that. So I started to feel better about this trip. And the roller coaster was fun.
Since our bags were still in the $10 lockers we decided to go on the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride again. I just planned to hang out with everyone in line and not ride it.
The line was longer so I was able to take more pictures. These were the hourglasses with the house points.
Here's a hallway with portraits that talked to eachother.
Here's a room that looked just like the defense against the dark arts classroom from the movies. They had a screen where Harry, Ron, and Hermonie talked to us about something or other. But we couldn't quite hear what the plot was because it got interrupted by an announcement saying something like, "Attention Riders, We apologize for the delay. We are having technical difficulties, the ride should be operating again in a few minutes.
The line moved slowly for a few more minutes. We were in a tight hallway for a few minutes and I was thinking that maybe we should just leave. But it's good we stayed. After a few more minutes they announced the ride was closing. As we were directed out an exit we were handed a voucher that basically functioned as a fast pass for any other ride in the park that day. That was totally worth the extra time in that line.
We picked up our bags from the lockers and decided to leave the Harry Potter area and explore the rest of the park. We had the vague idea to head toward the Jurassic Park ride.
Now you have to understand I did basically zero research about this park ahead of time. My research basically revolved around figuring out that the two day pass was a good deal. That was it. I didn't know what rides were in the park. I certainly didn't know what those rides were like. And I had only the basic idea of the layout of the park. Brandon had printed out a map when we were still home, but it hadn't been very clear.
So I was shocked, shocked, when we discovered that the park was actually built on a hill and that there was an upper park and a lower park. To get to the lower park where the Jurassic World, the mummy, and the Transformers rides were we had to ride down the longest escalator I'd ever seen in my life. And then we rode down THREE more!
When we reached the bottom of those escalators we came to the area with the Jurassic World ride. The line was only about 5 minutes long so we got in line and soon were on the ride.
This ride was totally worth the trip and the money. Derrick is obviously the biggest dinosaur fan in the family, but everyone in the family loves the Jurassic Park franchise. The ride had us on boats. It started out like we were on a real tour in Jurassic World. We floated around on the boats and entered the Mosasaurus tank. We saw the Mosasaurus eat a shark and then it splashed us. Then the Mosasaurus swam around and then rammed the tank. A crack appeared and water started leaking out and sprayed our boat. This was the first sign that maybe this trip wasn't as safe as it seemed.
Then we went near a waterfall. It seemed like we would all get soaked, but we went through an opening in a cave and no one went under the waterfall. We entered an area with a baby stegosaurus, and a bigger stegosaurus. There was also a parasaurolophus that surprised Veronica by exploding out of the water. (No matter how many times we went on the ride, Veronica was startled every single time.)
We didn't notice it on that first ride through, but hiding in the bushes was a Dilophosaurus. (Derrick spelled that for me by memory just now.) That Dilophosaurus was another clue that things weren't safe.
As soon as we entered Preditor Cove through, things were obviously wrong. The Velocoraptor paddock had broken barriers, there was a broken Gyrosphere, Compies were fighting over a hat, and there was blood and claw marks on the walls.
Screens flashed warnings and Clare from the Jurassic World movies was giving instructions. We went through the T-Rex area and could see the T-Rex's head peaking out from a broken fence. It was getting scary.
We went up a hill and Owen Grady from Jurassic World was telling us to stay calm. At the top of the hill everything was dark. Suddenly a raptor dropped down from the ceiling. It was holding sparking electric cables. It was scary, but there were also some "How It Should have Ended" vibes. Specifically this video. I never could quite take this raptor seriously.
But all the other dinosaurs from this point felt very real. We went down a small hill and got splashed with water. (We'd come to find out this was the biggest splash of the ride.) There were two Dilophosaurus dinosaurs spitting acid at us. I knew it was water, but it felt real. Then the T-Rex tried to get us through the ceiling. We saw Blue the Raptor on the bank and then the Indominous Rex appeared on the other bank. It leaned over the boat and felt like it was going to eat us all. And just as we moved out of it's range the T-Rex appeared in front of us.
Then the floor dropped out and we went down a super steep hill.
At the bottom of the hill I turned to Derrick and said, "Derrick, you always ask me what I would think if I saw a dinosaur on the side of the road. The answer is I would be TERRIFIED!"
I'm trying to remember what we did next after that ride. I don't remember riding it twice at this point. But, the kids and I put together a list of what rides we rode in order the day after this trip. And that list says that we got back in line and rode the Jurassic World Ride again. So we'll trust my day old memory more than my two week old memory.
Here's a video that someone on youtube took of the ride. This is exactly how I remember it, except somehow the big drop doesn't seem nearly as long in this video.
After we were done with Jurassic World we went over to The Mummy Ride. We'd been able to put our bags on the floor of the Jurassic World ride, but this one was another ride that required lockers. Fortunately, I'd figure out the small lockers were free. And we'd drunk enough of the water in our bags to be able fit them in their own small lockers.
The lockers were really cool. I would scan each of our ticket images from my phone onto a scanner. The locker would open and we could put the bag in and shut the door. When we were done with the ride I'd just scan the ticket again and the locker would pop open again and we could get our bags out.
I took this picture while we were in line for the Mummy. A lot of the line was in a building, but the line started outside. You can see the bottom of the escalator tunnel. The building behind it is the scary part of the Jurassic Park ride.
When the line for the Mummy went inside it was like we were in a tomb. The lighting was weird so this picture double exposed. But you can see Lydia touching the Book of the Dead.
The line wound through some tunnels and then opened in a big room where we snaked through lots of back and forth sections of the line. There was a really loud recording talking about the mummy's curse or something. About the time we finished up in this room I realized something really really important. We'd completely forgot to bring Derrick's noise cancelling headphones. Like I hadn't even thought of them once. This could have been terrible. But Derrick was doing just fine with all the noise. He didn't seem to care at all.
The Mummy Ride was really fun. It was a high speed roller coaster. But it started out like we were just going through a tomb looking at things. And then all the sudden it SPED UP. We went up hills and around curves. It was so fun. Then we went to a room where there were lots of scarab beetles. Little strings around our feet started waiving around to make us feel like the bugs were crawling on us. The car we were in reversed and went flying back down the track backward. That was really fun.
And then we were done. It felt like we went back over the same track, but we really didn't. We'd gone in a big circle somehow and were coming back into the loading room. I'd really liked the ride.
We thought about going to the Transformers Ride next, but the sign at the entrance said the wait was 55 minutes. So then we went into Mario World. This was awful. It was colorful, and noisy, and loud, and there were people everywhere. I felt like Batman in Cloud Cookoo Land in the Lego Movie. I was like, "I hate this place." The only ride we could find in there also had a long wait time. So we left pretty quick.
Derrick really really really wanted to meet Blue the raptor. So I took him to the line for that. Brandon took the girls to go on the Jurassic World Ride again. The raptor area was right next to the splash zone for the Jurassic World ride. I tried to get a picture of one of the boats sending up a big splash of water.
A handler named Alan came out to tell us that Blue was almost ready to come out. Alan was really funny. He seemed nervous about having Blue around so many people. Then he let Blue out. There was a line of people and we were near the back.
But the line moved pretty quick and soon it was Derrick's turn to take a picture with Blue. I was in the picture with him.
But then I took the camera back and took pictures of Derrick's interaction. Derrick was the first person to turn around and face Blue. Alan, the handler, got really nervous when Derrick did that.
And then Derrick was making motions toward Blue.
Alan was very worried about this. He went through a whole show of holding the line and even clipped the little chain back in place over the line. He was like, "I'm not sure how she will react to this. I need to make everything as secure as possible.
Our turn was soon over and we moved off to the side. There were a lot of people just hanging out on the side. They weren't part of the photo op line. So we went there.
I didn't want Derrick to be in front of the little kids so we moved off to the side.
This might be my favorite picture of Derrick with Blue. You can just see him scheming to make this interaction meaningful. He had a whole plan for Blue to steal his hat. It was kind of a three stooges routine.
I took a short video of what Blue was like as we watched her. You can watch it here.
A lot of the spectators moved on. But Derrick was still invested in the whole show. He moved a little closer.
He was still trying to get Blue to notice his hat.
Blue never did come get his hat. But it was still an awesome interactions. Alan was especially cool. He noticed Derrick was wearing a raptor shirt. He said, "That's the coolest shirt." When it was over he came over and I had Derrick shake his hand and say thank you. This had been a highlight of Derrick's trip.
Brandon and the girls weren't done with Jurassic World by the time we were done with the 30 minute meet and greet. But they were done about 5 minutes later. They had been in a long line. Brandon said it was really fun though because the line had monitors that showed interviews with the Jurassic Park characters. He said they were funny.
We were done with the lower park area and decided to check out more of the upper park. So we went back up the 4 long escalators. Right by the escalators is a whole area made to look like Springfield from the Simpsons. The Simpson's ride only had a 20 minute wait so we went there next.
This was probably one of the best line experiences in the whole park. They had clips from Simpson's episodes playing while we were in line. So it was funny to just watch those while waiting.
We were taken into a little room and watched another little Simpson video. This would play into the "plot" of the ride.
Then the door opened and we were able to go into another room. This one had a car of sorts. We'd been told to put our stuff up against the walls. Then we got into the car. It looked like we were going to go through a door in front of us. But instead the ceiling opened up and our car was lifted up through the ceiling.
We were facing a giant screen. There were other people in other cars also facing the screen. I think there were something like 6 cars, but there might have been more.
The ride consisted us of watching the screen while the car moved and bumped around to simulate the movements of what was happening on the screen. It was really well done and really fun. Here's a youtube video of the ride.
I think I took this picture when we were done. We'd all really liked it.
We were tired of walking around and standing in line so we decided to go on the studio tour. We knew this was a tour that would last about an hour. None of us were expected much from it, but we liked the idea of sitting for an hour.
On our way to the escalators for the studio tour area we passed the Back to the Future Delorian.
We took a different escalator down a different face of the hill. This took us to the studio tour area. We were directed onto the third of five tram cars. There was a tour guide in the front car. We could hear her through speakers in the tram. There were screens in the front of the tram that showed different videos of things about Universal Studios.
The five trams were all connected together. I was really impressed by the driver who could drive this whole contraption.
The tour went down the hill to the actual Universal Studios. We were taken by the studio buildings where movies and TV shows are made.
We also went by the city area. But we couldn't go in there because a commercial was being filmed. We actually had to be quiet while we drove by that area.
I'm not sure whey I took a picture here. At first this was feeling like it was all just a commercial for Universal Studios. They were showing promos for TV shows that NBC makes.
Then we were taken into an area that had to do with King Kong. On the tram screens they showed Peter Jackson talking about King Kong and then they showed a few clips from the 2008 movie. I was thinking, "I'm glad we watched that a few months ago."
The tram moved into a dark tunnel. I can't remember exactly what the tour guide said. Maybe something like, "oh looks like we have an issue." And then the dark tunnel turned into a jungle. It felt like we were still moving, but really we were looking at a giant screen on both sides of the tram. We watched a fight between King Kong and some V-Rex dinosaurs.
It was really cool.
When it was all over I said, "That's even better than the movie!"
We looped around pasted more set areas.
We were taken around a few more places. Here are the Lyon Estates signs from Back to the Future.
Here are more sets.
We'd been on Jimmy Steward Ave and then we turned onto Steven Spielberg Blvd
We went into a big building that we were told was an actual set for a movie. The tour guide said that we were going to see a camera test. But then things started shaking and thumping. It was like we were in an earthquake. A section of the ceiling collapsed and a huge truck fell down and almost slid into us.
A big door on an electrical room burst open on my side.
And then WATER STARTED FLOWING DOWN THE STAIR WAY. I was just shocked by this. I'd unknowingly sat directly in the waters path. It flowed toward me and went down below the tram. Some of it splashed up and got on my socks.
Then we started driving out of the building. I took one last picture of that water. The guide explained that this set reset itself about every 15 minutes.
After we left this building we drove over to the town of Amity from Jaws. I recognized this from a youtube video Derrick used to watch. I was like, "Oh that was from the studio tour." I always assumed it was a ride.
We saw a diver in the water. And then a shark started coming up on the diver.
I turned on my camera and filmed it.
Then the tour took us to a bunch of prop houses. This street was used for Desperate Housewives. But the individual houses are also in a lot of other projects.
We also were taken by a whole bunch of movie cars.
Then we went by the Bates Motel. Norman Bates was outside the motel and we saw him go back in the motel and then put a body into the trunk of the car. He noticed us and then started coming toward us with a knife.
Then we went by the airplane wreckage from the movie The War of the Worlds.
This was a real airplane they'd bought from a scrap yard for the movie. And now it was here.
By the end of the tour we all were so happy we'd done that tour. It was not at all what we'd expected.
We tried to go on the Harry Potter ride again, but the line was way too long. We decided it was time to go out to the car for lunch. As we got close to the park gates there were lots of characters hanging around. The Scooby Doo kids were near a Mystery Machine. And Hello Kitty was posing for pictures outside the Hello Kitty store. Beetlejuice was walking around. He saw Lydia and said something like, "Oh look at Jurassic Park pretending not to notice me." That was funny.
We left the park gates and walked back through the City Walk. The restaurants were open and it was a little tempting to just get food there. But we kept going. Soon we made it to our car in the parking garage.
It felt a little strange to just eat sandwiches at our car. But honestly this little break was nice. The park was so loud and so busy. I think we all appreciated sitting in the quiet and boring looking parking garage.
The only thing I would change is that we should have brought more food from the VRBO. We'd already eaten through all of our snacks we'd packed that morning. And we didn't have many other snacks for the afternoon. I wish I'd had a few more snacks. But really that was a little thing.
After our break we were ready to walk back into the park. We were able to get scanned into the park with only a minor hiccup - Brandon's finger wouldn't scan so he had to show his ID. And then we were back and ready to take on the rest of the park.
As we walked through the park there were two people up in a window talking in New York Accents. They saw Veronica's High School Musical Shirt and said something like, "Hey High School Musical, did you get your head in the game?" Veronica thought that was funny.
Earlier in the day a park worker had mentioned that the best rides in the afternoon were Kung Fu Panda and The Secret Life of Pets. They said they were airconditioned and all you had to do was sit. So we went to the Kung Fu Panda Ride. Here we are in the line. (Which was not airconditioned at this point, but it was shaded.)
After a little wait, we were brought into a building and we all watched a little presentation before going into the big theatre/ride area. This presentation had various Dreamworks Characters talking to each other. It was funny and cute. I turned around to check on Derrick and was surprised to see him standing hunched over with his eyes shut and his fingers in his ears. I was like, "what's wrong." And then I remembered. Derrick hates Shrek. I have no idea why. But he'd seen Shrek and Donkey talking and he'd tried to block them out completely.
I had to reassure him that the main ride was all about Kung Fu Panda. He didn't have to worry about Shrek in that ride.
The doors opened and we were let into a big theatre. Each seat would have it's own motion control to go with the movie that we would watch. Honestly, the movie/ride wasn't amazing. But I was so grateful that we could sit for a while.
Next we went over to the Minion ride. This one had a line that moved decently fast. We were outside for a while, but we were under big shade tarps and there were fans going so it didn't feel that hot. I'd forgot to put more sunscreen on the kids after lunch at the car, but honestly it didn't matter because we were indoors or in the shade for the rest of the afternoon.
Eventually we made it inside. It was like we were in Gru's lab or something. I liked this little Minion door in a bigger door.
They had us in rows that moved through various rooms.
Then we were let into a big room with a big screen. We were put into little pods of four people. This was another motion control ride where we watched the movie on the screen. It was fun, but again I was just grateful to be sitting down.
Next we went over to The Secret Life of Pets. Of all the rides in the park I knew the least about the source material for this one. One of the kids asked me if Id' ever seen this movie. I was like, "I think it was on in the other room at someones house - once."
If I was giving awards for the various rides, this ride would get "worst ride with the best air conditioner award." The entire line experience was indoors. So we had air conditioning the whole time. The line took us through an apartment building. At some point we figured out that we were "lost puppies" looking for a home. There were animatronic animals talking to us about finding us homes. At one point we were waiting in a stairwell for a while. That was kind of boring, but I was really happy about that air-conditioning.
Finally we made it onto the ride. We were in groups of two. We were put in seats inside of what looked like boxes. That was cute. And then . . . and then . . . and then . . . you know, I have no idea what the plot was. The cats were bad? I think? And they played with fireworks? And well it doesn't really matter.
The ride stopped for a minute so I took pictures. Brandon and Veronica were in front of us.
And Charlotte and Lydia were in front of them.
Charlotte and Lydia had been dying a little bit inside to go on all these little kid movie rides. So they were happy to get out of that area. Everyone wanted to try the Harry Potter ride so we went back to the Harry Potter world.
I didn't feel like waiting in a line for a ride I couldn't ride so I volunteered to sit in the owlery with everyones bags. Here are the owls above me.
And here I am. I had some cookies in my snack collection and I ate those while enjoying sitting in the shade on a bench. It was really nice.
After the kids and Brandon were done with the Harry Potter Ride we decided to go back down to the lower area. According to the list we made the next day we went on the Mummy next. I don't have any specific memories tied to that.
Then we decided to use our Fast Pass from earlier in the day to go on the Jurassic Park ride. The ride attendant said the wait was about 40 minutes, he said it was a great time to use our Fast Pass. We were able to go right to the front of the line and go on the ride again.
After that we saw that the Transformers Ride had a short wait time. So we went in there. I was in a silly mood and the the line was really easy to make fun of. The whole thing was that we were recruits and one of the transformers would use us as navigators to find the All-Spark and get it out of the city. But you only really knew that if you listened to various exposition given via screens while you were waiting in line. Here's how it really went for us as we were rushing through the first couple rooms before we got to the line.
Transformer in room 1: Thank you recruits for volunteering to fight with us.
Me: Wait, no one said anything about fighting.
Transformer in room 2: This war has been going on a while.
Me: What war?
Transformer in room 3: I'll remember my training, you remember yours.
Me: But I haven't had any training!
It was pretty funny.
Eventually we found the main part of the line and we got a little better idea of the plot. At the end of a staircase we were handed 3-D glasses.
And then we were put into another car like ride vehicle. This one followed a track. We'd move around and see different things on screens in front of us. The 3-D enhanced everything really well. Like a tire bounced off a car and came directly toward us.
There was also an explosion and we could feel heat. This ride had a pretty dumb story, but it was a fun experience to be on the ride.
After Transformers we decided to give Mario Land another chance. When we went in this time it was less of an assault on the senses. The sun was lower in the sky so everything wasn't so bright. And there were fewer people.
The whole place felt like stepping into a Mario game. That was fun.
We decided to go on the Bowsers challenge race ride (or something like that.)
The ride had a lot of cool nintendo game looking features.
We were given these weird hats to wear. A little later we were given visors that fit on the hats.
The ride itself was super confusing. We were in little carts that were on a track. So we weren't in control of driving them, but it felt like it? Or maybe we actually did have control?
There were real elements along the track, but our visors were showing us images of other racers like it was Mario Cart. And we were supposed to be shooting at them. Or maybe shooting at coins? And maybe we were actually getting points for this. Or maybe we weren't?
I had no idea what was going on. But the concept was cool.
When we got out of there we had about 45 minutes until 7:00 when the park closed. There was another meet Blue event going on. So Brandon and Derrick went to do that. I took the girls on the Jurassic world ride.
We were able to get right in the front seat. When we went down that first little hill the water came streaming into our boat. My socks were soaked! I was soaked. Here's the picture after that run.
Just as we were getting off the ride we saw Brandon and Derrick get onto a boat. So the girls and I went around and got on the ride again.
Once again we got the front seat. The ride attendants even were like, "oh you want the front seat again?"
That time was fun again. And again I got even more soaked. When we were done I held up two fingers so I could keep track later that this was our second time on the ride.
As we got off the ride the attendants said something like, "The park closes in 5 minutes, you have just enough time to get one more boat if you want." Brandon and Derrick had waited for us in the gift shop after their ride. All 6 of us hurried around to the ride entrance one more time and we were able to get on the boat one more time.
It was so much fun to go on the ride three times in 30 minutes. No matter what the beginning always felt awe inspiring. It was like, "We really are in Jurassic World." And then the later stuff was always a little scary. It never was quite as scary as the first time when everything was unpredictable, but it was still scary to see the Indominus Rex looming over us.
And I never got used to the drop. After a few times I was able to keep my eyes open for it. But it was always scary.
Brandon and I sat by eachother on that third ride. We had the kids in front of us. It was so fun to watch their reactions. That had happened a lot during the day. It had been fun to watch their reactions to all the rides. This had been worth the money. I took a third and final picture on this final run.
The park was closed by the time we got off the boat. That just meant the rides weren't running anymore. There were still plenty of people around. And the gift shops and restaurants would be open for a while. We joined the large group of people streaming to the escalators and travelled up and up and up and up. Then we walked through Springfield, past the Kung Fu Panda ride, past the Harry Potter World Entrance, and past the shops on the little main street. Then we were leaving the park gates.
We walked through the City Walk that was all lit up.
That walk felt long, but after a while we were at the parking garage. We took an escalator up to the second level. And we saw our car. Every car that had been there with us early in the morning was gone. We'd been survivors to be there from the time the gates opened until the park closed.
Here I am at the end of a long and wonderful day.
We knew we'd be starving so we had plans to get food at Burger King. There was one nearish our house. But it felt like it took forever to get there. Brandon ordered at the drivethrough and then we took the food home to eat around the little table inside our vacation house. That drive home felt really long.
But I'm glad we ate there instead of the car. It was nice to sit around the table and eat together while talking about how great the day had been.
I doctored up my feet that night. Everyone else had been in sandals. I'd been in my hiking boots. My feet did awesome, but they also needed a lot of lidocaine.
We all changed into dry pajamas and settled into our rooms for the night.
And that's the end of Day one at Universal. We'd go back for Day two on Wednesday. But first we needed some rest on Tuesday.
Just what is a girl to do when she is a college graduate in economics; a wife to an aviation enthusiast; and the mother of four children age nine and under? I'm not sure, but I am trying to figure it out. Read along as I find out where I fit in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?