This week was kind of odd. The first half of the week wasn't very eventful. And the second half was super eventful.
There was one common thread though. The twins now have their driver's permits so they can drive with me or Brandon in the car. Up until now I've been really nervous to drive with the twins. Part of the problem is that I'm just really anxious. I'm nervous when Brandon drives. And that guy can fly planes and helicopters. So to put a newly permitted driver into a car makes me incredibly nervous.
The other problem is that the girls have experience with the little sedan sized drivers ed cars. They aren't as used to the big mini van and pilot. So I wouldn't drive with them until Brandon took them out in the bigger cars and got them used to them.
And then I gradually started letting the girls drive with me. Overall it's actually been okay. But we learned that I can't be in the backseat if Brandon is in the passenger seat. I just feel too out of control. The one time we did it was AWFUL for everyone involved.
Anyway let's get talking about this week.
When I was at church on Sunday I picked up four donation envelopes. When we came home I had each kid take turns filling out their camp money donation slip with me. Charlotte and Lydia had earned the full $100 fee. But they hadn't been paid for one job yet so I wrote out a check to cover that last little portion. I showed them where to fill out the amounts for cash and check and we made sure it matched the total. (They will learn accounting techniques whether they want to or not.) Derrick and Veronica had each earned $40. So I wrote checks to cover the difference for them. I also had them fill it out. In other years I've just paid online, but since we had so much cash this year it made sense to actually fill out the donation slips so the kids could see how that works.
Here are some pictures I took on Sunday evening. Derrick likes to go sit in the chicken coop. He likes the birds a lot. Before I took this picture one of the birds had been sitting in his lap.
Here's a picture I took for Facebook. I was doing before and after picture to compare this July to last July.On Tuesday I woke up early and watered my lawn and garden really well. I'm STILL watering the front yard with just a regular sprinkler. Our sprinkler system has been quite the saga. We got it all put in, but something is wrong with the pressure.
Brandon ordered a special pressure thingy, but it took FOREVER to ship. When it did finally ship it was delivered to the wrong address. We got a package, but it was for a house down the street. When Brandon took the package to the correct house he saw another package for a different address sitting on their porch. And about three days later some guy came to our house with our real package that had been delivered to his house by mistake. So something was wrong with Fex Ex that day. (We reported it and I told the delivery guy about it and he said, "I take one day off and this is what happens!")
And after all of that Brandon opened the package and it was the wrong part. This one is for the wrong voltage or amps or something. So he had to call the company and they "opened an investigation." That was like 2 weeks ago. He followed up with them on Friday and the customer service guy he talked to said, "Oh I don't know why nothing has been done with that."
So at this rate I should have a working sprinkler system in November.
In the meantime I'm forced to water areas for 20 minutes at a time and then drag the sprinkler to another area. It's a pain, but it works.
Brandon and I had switched vehicles for the day so I could take the pilot in for an oil change. I took it over to Jiffy Lube right at 8:00 and was the second person there. I think I drove out of there at 8:25.
Derrick had to be at Outdoor Camp at 10:30 and so I had some time that morning to work on a tricky billing thing for Gaining Perspective. I had to make three phone calls, but in the end I think I figured it out. That felt really good.
Veronica and I took Derrick to Outdoor Camp and dropped him off. Then we went and did a massive grocery shopping trip. It was the type of trip where we first bought all the bulky non perishable stuff like laundry soap and toilet paper. We took that to the car and then went back for small perishable food. We picked up Derrick at 12:00 and came home and all the kids helped bring the food in and put it away.
Then I went to work. I was supposed to be there at 12:00 for our admin meeting. But obviously that didn't happen. It was fine though.
I was at work for a long time. When I got home Brandon wasn't there because he was at CSI. We've started calling these "fend for yourselves" nights because I just can't be bothered to make dinner when Brandon isn't around. (Making dinner when Brandon is around is pretty iffy too. He usually makes dinner.)
Charlotte had been working on a lego house for several days.
It was done and had the cutest accessories. Here is the kitchen.
The bedroom.Another view of the kitchen with the stairs.
And the living room.
The kids talked me into going to Dierkies Lake. Lydia drove there and Charlotte drove back. On the way there. I realized that oops, we were in Brandon's car which doesn't have a Dierkies lake pass. So we had to pay the $5 entrance fee. But it was worth it because the kids swam for over 2 hours and I just sat there and read.
Wednesday morning I was up at 6:00 with the twins. I took them and Addy to Tubbs Berry Farm for work. Then I went to Aspen Grove for about two hours and Castle Therapy for about 15 minutes. Ivan was out of town on his ward's high adventure, so there wasn't much for me to do.
I went home and picked up Derrick and then we went out to the farm to get the girls. We dropped off the twins, then Addy, and then I dropped Derrick off at Outdoor Camp. Then I hurried home and got ready for Scripture study.
Originally I'd planned to continue to host my scripture study group every other week all summer long. But when I saw how much each week differed from each other I realized that I would be miserable trying to keep up that routine. So I decided to just do one meeting for the summer.
And even that was tricky. Outdoor camp was supposed to happen in June, but it was moved to July because no one else signed up for the June session. And then it was supposed to be in the afternoon, but they realized it would be to hot so they moved it to the morning. And suddenly that meant that I was starting Scripture study at 11:00 and had to be done at 11:45 in order to pick Derrick up at 12:00.
This is when I decided that I LOVE the fact the twins have been doing drivers ed because next summer THEY WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE ON THEIR OWN. Next summer they will be able to drive Derrick and Veronica to random middle of the day stuff. But in the meantime, I'm stuck as the sole taxi driver during the day.
So scripture study was 45 minutes for the whole summer. But it was still really good. Jori came and all four of her kids played in the basement. Rachel came too. And Diantha attended via zoom. We discussed the book "Crossings" by Melissa Inouye. It was the perfect summer read. Melissa was an LDS scholar. She passed away from cancer last year. She was first diagnosed in something like 2017. Her children were really small so she wanted to leave them a collection of her writings. That idea evolved into a book. It's a collection of her essays, lectures, emails about cancer, and her yearly newsletters - with little doodles in the margins. We all loved the book so it was fun to talk about.
At 11:45 I left to get Derrick. I told Jori and Rachel to stay as long as they wanted. I thought they would be gone by the time I got back, but they were still there! So that was great. We all talked and updated each other about life. At some point Jori and Rachel remembered that Jori still needed to pierce Rachel's ears.
So Jori ran home and got her supplies and pierced Rachel's ears right in my living room. That was exciting to be a part of.
And then we talked and talked and talked and all of a sudden it was 1:20 and I needed to make sure Veronica was ready for physical therapy at 2:00 so we all started saying goodbye and Jori rounded up her kids. It had been a great time together.
I took Veronica to physical therapy. I was little on the fence about this whole thing and honestly I was kind of hoping she would have a terrible time. But she ended up having a super fun time. We go to a business that is almost aggressively friendly. The staff is like SUPER encouraging and will talk to Veronica the whole time. She LOVES the attention. And at the end they had her sit with something warm on her knees and she liked that too. She said it was really relaxing.
I'd been super tired while I was waiting for Veronica so I took a nap as soon as we were home. It was a good nap and I was in a really good mood the rest of the evening. Brandon came home from work and made pizza for dinner. I put on our fun play list of songs and we all listened to that.
The girls didn't have Young Women's. (The Young Women's president's oldest son was getting married that weekend so that effectively cancelled the activities for everyone.) I took them all secret sister shopping at Walmart. We'd premade the lists of what they were going to buy so we just had to go in and find the things.
Brandon took Derrick to Young Mens which was some sort of equipment check for the High Adventure part of Boys Camp. They are having all the young men start out together at a Base Camp of sorts. Then the priests and teachers will go on an overnight hike for 2 or 3 nights while the younger (and less inclined to hike) boys stay behind. Brandon is in charge of keeping the base camp boys busy.
I thought Brandon was going to stay at the activity, but he came home and worked on the fence for Much Ado. When I came home with the girls I helped sand the boards down while he worked on screwing them onto the fence.
Here I am sanding.

Thursday was busy as usual. It started with watering. Then I went to Castle Therapy and met up with Ivan. He was back from his High Adventure and we were catching up on stuff.
When I was done with that I came back home for more watering while also emailing Cassy about Gaining stuff. We'd decided not to have an in person meeting this week because it was too crazy with outdoor camp.
At 10:30 I dropped Derrick off at Outdoor camp and went to work for about 80 minutes. Then I picked up Derrick and we went home.
I helped Charlotte, Lydia, and Veronica start packing for girls camp. They were going out of town for the weekend so we needed to pack for Girls Camp and also pack for the weekend. It was easiest to start with the girls camp stuff. Charlotte and Lydia found most of their stuff on their own, but Veronica needed help tracking down some things.
I'd ordered camping backpacks for Derrick and Veronica. They were supposed to show up that day. Well, Derrick's did. But Veronica's wouldn't come until Tuesday. That was disappointing for her. But Derrick let her borrow his.
I'm always so happy when we are packing for things like this and the kids have their own sleeping bag. I didn't have my own sleeping bag until college. Every year for girls camp I'd have to borrow one. Sometimes I don't know what I'm doing as a parent, but knowing my kids have camp gear helps me feel like I'm doing something right.
At 3:00 the girls had to be at Production Camp. I dropped them off at the Orpheum. They worked on spray painting their lamps. (Lydia later showed us her spray paint circle in the alley behind the Orpheum.)
And when I was back stage on Friday I saw the lamps hanging high above the stage. These will be props in Hadestown next week.
I went to work and stayed there for a really long time. I was planning to work very reduced hours while the girls were at camp so I was trying to get ahead of a few things. I was there until 5:30 and even my boss Michael left before I did.Brandon had dinner ready when we got home and we ate that and then got ready to go to the Orpheum to see The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) [revised] (again).
At this point I had seen the show from back stage three times during tech rehearsal and one time during a real performance. I was excited to see it for real. And I was really excited for the kids to see it.
I took these pictures while we were waiting. These are very, very misleading. Derrick looks happy while Veronica looks indifferent.
And Lydia looks miserable, while Charlotte looks like she's smiling just to make me happy.
Jen as the Friar and Tim as Juliet.

Here's Jen doing Titus Andronicus - as a cooking show. She's wearing an apron that says, "Mrs Lovett's Pie Shop" which is a reference to Sweeny Todd.
And here is Tim as Lavina. The cooking show is demonstrating how to cook someone and turn them into a pie. I'm not sure how much of this actually happens in this play. I honestly didn't even know about this play until this show.

Here is Tim doing Othello, but he was confused about what a Moor. He googled it and thought it was a place where you dock boats. So you can see all the little boats on his chest.

And here is the segment where they do all the historical plays as a football game with the crown getting passed all over the place.

Derrick didn't make it to that part. I wanted him to stay around until Tim came out in a Godzilla head during Troilus and Cressida. (It's not supposed to make sense.) I figured if Godzilla didn't snap Derrick out of his mood nothing would. And unfortunately Godzilla didn't help.
I dropped Derrick off and was back at the theatre before intermission was over. I was able to check in with the other kids who were having a BLAST. Lydia said she was laughing so hard she couldn't see because her eyes were shut. I'd been hearing Veronica laugh her guts out all night. She thought everything was funny. Charlotte and Brandon were also loving it.
Act II was so much fun. Act I ends with Tim refusing to do Hamlet and running off. Jen chases after him and Tyler is left on stage to fill time. Act II starts with Tyler still on stage and no sign of Tim and Jen. They come back and Tim is now Pshyched to do Hamlet. He leads everyone in a cheer where he spells out H-E-L-M-E-T. And then says, "Yeah, I've got to go get my helmet."
When he comes out on stage he is wearing non other than Brandon's French Taunter Helmet. (In it's second cameo appearance of the year.) There are two Tim's in Magic Valley Rep. "Little Tim" was the one on stage. "Big Tim" happened to be in the audience this night. Big Tim is who directed Spamalot. As soon as Big Tim saw that helmet he laughed and cheered loudly. My family was also going crazy for that helmet.
Act II was so fun without having to worry about anything back stage. When things go crazy at the end with Tim switching between Ophelia, Gertrude, and Claudius I was like, "Oh this is actually kind of slow from this perspective." It was still crazy, but as a passive observer it was nothing like the sheer terror that is going on back stage.
The show ended and we took time to talk to friends and the actors. Our friend Crayson had been there and had a high pitched giggle through most of the show. Our acquaintance/friends Ryker and Natalie had been right behind us. Ryker and Brandon talked for a while and somehow got on the subject of Sweeny Todd. Ryker mentioned he was building the set. Brandon was like, "How are you doing the chair?" And somehow that turned into Brandon being added to the set crew. Ryker was like, "I'm happy to design the set, but I don't want to build it." And Brandon was like, "say no more!" So that's on our plate now too, but Brandon's really really happy about it.
We went home and spent the rest of the evening talking about all the funny parts. Ironically, Derrick loved to hear about how silly the play was. Veronica would say, "and then Tim pretended to throw up all over the audience!" And Derrick would laugh and laugh. But when he was RIGHT THERE WATCHING IT HAPPEN he'd refused to crack a smile.
Autism is weird guys.
Anyway, Derrick is not going to any shows at the Orpheum for the forseable future. I wasn't really planning on it anyway, because shows like Hadestown, Much Ado, and Godspell would be boring and Sweeny Todd is inappropriate. But now I feel really good about leaving him home for those shows.
The next one I'd even remotely consider trying to get him to see would be Anastasia. But that's not until March.
And here we are on Friday. Derrick was supposed to have his last outdoor camp, but he told me he didn't want to go and he was so out of sorts and I wasn't going to force that on the poor therapists. Plus that meant I could go to work without having to stop what I was doing and come home and get him.
So I went to work for about three hours and then came home and helped the kids with last minute packing.
Brandon had been going into work an hour early all week long so he could get off four hours early on Friday. He was home around 11:30. He was taking his nephew Bryson camping in the Uintah in Utah. Bryson's dad doesn't like to camp so Brandon takes Bryson every year for Uncle Brandon Camp. The kids were all going down to Utah with him. But they weren't going to Uncle Brandon Camp. They were going to stay at Steve and Jacque's. On Sunday Brandon's other nephew Wally had his mission homecoming. So the kids were going to be there for that.
Originally, I was also part of this trip to Utah. I'd briefly thought about visiting my sister Emily and my parents on Saturday. But I heard the siren call of the play before any plans were made. So Brandon and I decided that I'd stay home in Idaho, and help with the play while he took the kids to Utah.
The plan then evolved a little further. All three girls were going to camp on Monday. I realized that this would be a good - and perhaps only - chance to get the kitchen walls sanded and painted. Sanding the walls would make a lot of dust so we wanted to put plastic up all over the kitchen and seal off the doorways, but that was crazy to do with the kids all home. If three of them at camp it would be less crazy. And if we found somewhere for Derrick to go that would make things even more convenient.
Brandon asked his parents if he could leave Derrick with them for the week. They agreed. So suddenly I was committed to getting the kitchen done while the kids were all gone. I planned to work very reduced hours so I could focus on the kitchen.
So Brandon took the kids and I stayed home and prepped the kitchen for sanding and painting. Also in the middle of all the last minute packing on Friday we realized our fridge and freezer weren't working. Veronica had actually noticed something was wrong on Thursday morning. She's been eating cereal and asked, "Is this milk warmer than usual?" And I was like, "Someone must have left it out."
But on Friday I opened the freezer and noticed that all the frozen bananas and peaches were thawed out and leaking out of their baggies. Everything was thawing out.
This wasn't great, but in a way it was perfect timing. I was the only one home so it was okay to not have a fridge. I ended up living out of a cooler and the deep freezers for the weekend. And I was going to move the fridge to paint behind it anyway. Now we could move it out, paint, and then put a new one in.
As soon as the kids and Brandon left I made a big todo list for myself for the weekend. One of the first priorities was cleaning out the freezer and the fridge.
I threw away a lot of stuff. (Food we should have probably thrown away anyway.) I put all the bananas and peaches into the compost. The chickens got the peas and blue berries that were thawing out and a cabbage that I'd forgot I bought like a month ago. (One reason I love chickens is they can eat the veggies that I let sit in the fridge a little long.)Here is Raspberry and Seed. Raspberry is the red one. Charlotte says she is the friendlies of the new chickens. Seed is the one with the lace patterns. I always tell Charlotte, "When I was a kid chickens were just brown. I had no idea they could have designs like this."
This is Sunny. She is a Silky. They are so funny looking.
And here's one of the original chickens. This is Rosy. She's a Rhode Island Red.
This is Ginga' (Like Ginger with a Britsh Accent. Derrick named her after the main chicken in Chicken Ru) and . . . shoot I can't remember that other chickens name. I'd filled up the water dispensers by putting the hose in the coop and it left a big puddle. There were lots of bugs around that water and these two chickens loved scratching to find them.
And here were are on Saturday. There were four main things for Saturday.
1. Water
2. Clean out the kitchen
3. Errands
4. The play
And I got them all done.
Here's the kitchen looking very empty. I moved the table and the microwave stand into the living room.
I took everything off the top of the cupboards.I went to Lowes and started trying to figure out paint colors. Most of the kitchen will be a neutral bluish grey. But I have an idea for pops of color. The colors come from the color scheme for the dining hall at Canyon Village in Yellowstone. In 2017 it was redone with a 60 vibe. Since our house was built in the 60's I want to lean into that a little. Also I have no plans to replace or even refinish our orange cabinets. So I figure we need to play into that orange. Here's my wall of color ideas.
And here are are to Sunday. I spent a lot of the morning sitting on the patio working on Exponent Guest posts. At 8:30 Brandon called me and we both got on Lowe's website and picked out a new fridge together. I HATE spending money on a fridge because they are super boring. Like, there is nothing fun about a fridge. But considering this is the first fridge we've ever had to buy in 18 years of marriage - I guess that's okay.
We've done a lot of funny stuff with that dummy and I thought it would be funny to go outside and take an alley picture with it. Alley pictures are a tradition at the Orpheum for big casts. I was like, "Oh this will be hilarious."
But as soon as I turned my front facing camera on I was like, "Oh shoot, this looks like a real body." And a truck was coming down the alley and I just knew this looked strange - even for Orpheum alley standards. So I took the picture and hurried back inside.
I didn't plan to post the picture, but it ended up so goofy that I put it on Facebook with the caption:
That awkward moment when you are taking "funny" pictures with the dummy you wrapped in a shroud, but you realize how realistic it actually looks and you start to panic that the people driving down the alley think you really wrapped up a person.This is the book case on Stage Right. The top has the godzilla head and the dinosaur from Troilus and Cressida. Then there is Tim's wig from when he plays an audience member at the beginning of the play. Next to that is the helmet of Hamlet's ghost father. Then there is the crown which is used like three times. The cups of water are from every time Ophelia downs herself. (They do Hamlet three times and get progressively faster and then to it backwards.)
And here I am with a costume - The French Taunter Helmet. I made sure to bring that home.
I helped lay all the costumes out on the chairs to dry. Not only did Tim get the Ophelia dress really wet, everyone was also sweating like crazy. So yeah, these needed some time to air out. I put all the wigs on the next row. There were so many wigs. Juliet, Lavinia, Cleopatra, Cressida, Ophelia, and Gertrude each had there own wig. There were also wigs for Tim as an audience member, Romeo, the nurse, Laertes, and a wig for Claudius' beard.



































No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?