I spoke too soon about getting the twins their drivers permits. We went to the DMV THREE times this week and still don't have permits. But more about that as we go.
This was a very simple week. Blissfully simple. Needfully simple. I was so stressed in April. It's really nice to be feeling on top of things again. Also I had A LOT of time to spend in my garden. I love working on my garden so much. It's my favorite thing and if I could it's all I would do.
Monday was the first day that we tried to get the Driver's Permits. I had all the documents ready and so as soon as the twins were home from school we went to the DMV. And found the LONGEST line waiting for us. It extended through the whole Drivers license office, out the door and down a short hallway and then around a corner and down the main hallway.
We attempted to wait in line for about 5 minutes. But the line wasn't moving at all. I told the girls we'd come back in the morning before school at 8:00. The line couldn't be terrible when the office had just opened, right?
At 5:00 I took Veronica to the Orpheum for her Matilda audition. The rehearsals for the play will be in June, but since they only have three weeks to get the show together they are doing the auditions ahead of time.
I'd signed Veronica up for an audition slot at 5:35. But we got there at 5:00 so she could practice reading the script pages for the audition. They don't normally give you the pages ahead of time, but since Veronica struggles with reading I'd asked for some extra time. Emily, the lady in charge of the program, was happy to help.
She gave me the pages and said we could go upstairs to the school room to practice.
Veronica was so happy to be back up there. She was like, "Oh this is my home!" She kept saying, "I have so many happy memories here!"
I was like, "Me too kid."
We went over the script a few times. Veronica would read a paragraph and then walk back and forth across the room. She was really nervous and got the hiccups. It was kind of funny.Okay enough about Monday and boring paperwork. Let's talk about Tuesday.
We wanted to be at the DMV right at 8:00 so that took some extra logistics. Everyone was up earlier than normal. Then I dropped Veronica off at her school at 7:45. This girl routinely walks into the school right as the bell rings at 8:00 so she was kind of like, "what am I supposed to do for 15 minutes?"
Then I took Charlotte, Lydia, and Derrick to the DMV. We got there right at 8:00 and were shocked to see that there was already a line out the door. It didn't wrap around the corner when we got there but within line 5 minutes it was around the corner.
I was like, "What is going on?" When I'd renewed my license several years ago there wasn't a line at all. And when I got my Idaho license in Pocatello there hadn't been much of a line. Someone a head of me in line mentioned that everyone was there for their Star Card Licenses. The much pushed back deadline was now finally happening on Wednesday. That's why the lines were crazy.
I was like, "Well forget this. We'll come back Thursday." So we left.
But then I was like, "Now what?"
It was only 8:10. We were closest to Derrick's school, but I don't normally drop him off until 8:40. I didn't really want to throw him off his groove. But I also didn't want to drive all the way back across town. I knew he could be on campus after 8:00 so we went to his school and I dropped him off and told him to get breakfast. (Later I emailed his teacher and told him to watch out for any behavioral issues because I'd completely thrown off Derrick's regular routine. He wrote back and said he seemed to be okay.)
Then I drove back to our side of town and dropped the twins off at their school. This was basically the same time as normal. I realized I could still salvage this day by going to get an oil change as soon as I dropped the girls off. I like to get oil changes early in the morning because there is no wait, but having to drop Derrick off at school has made that tricky.
So I drove over to Jiffy Lube. And the guy that came out to talk to me said that there would be a 45 minute wait because they needed to change oil filters on the car that was ahead of me.
UHHHHHH
So then I decided to go to Castle Therapy. But since I'd been planning to spend a while at the DMV I hadn't brough my laptop with me. So I just picked up the mail and went home.
Where I got back into bed and fell asleep for another hour.
When I did get up I felt like I could handle a second try at the day. I worked on the Castle stuff and then went to work at Aspen Grove.
I'd been able to do 4 hours at Aspen Grove on Friday, Monday, and now Tuesday. I was feeling much more on top of things and actually sort of caught up.
After work I drove home and got there just as Veronica was walking up to the house. I talked with her for a bit and then drove to Derrick's school for his IEP meeting. That meeting went well.
Then I was back home and I was so happy that I didn't have to go anywhere else at ALL that night.
Derrick was happy that his Jurassic World Gyrosphere had arrived. He'd bought this with the money he'd earned from going to school every day in April. (Yes, I'm still paying my kids a $1 a day for going to school. It's the best.)
Here he is playing with it. He'd called it a jop-o-sphere until I worked with him to say gyrosphere.Here it is up close. I'd expected this to be really cheaply made for $20. So I was impressed. And as far as I know the remote control part of it is still working a week later which is more than I can say for most of our remote control toys.
Brandon was teaching at CSI all evening. He's got three weeks on the Tuesday schedule and then he's off for several weeks this summer. That will be nice.
Wednesday was my day off and surprisingly I had nothing scheduled for the day. There were a lot of things I wanted to do, but nothing with a hard deadline or time slot. It was WONDERFUL.
I was able to go get that oil change. (I need to remember that Wednesdays at 10:00 are an amazing time.) I bought sand at Lowes. I worked on auditing the April financials for Exponent. And I worked in my garden.
My big project right now is getting plants into the area around the fire pit. I want this to be a very water wise garden with a lot of native plants. But native plants can be a little finicky about soil. And this soil is crap. So it needed some work.
On Saturday I'd gone out with the shovel and turned over the soil so that the existing layer of bark chips was worked into the soil. That will help give it some organic matter. On Wednesday I put sand into the soil to help mitigate the clay. And I added vermiculite to help with water retention.
I mixed that in a lot and then covered the whole thing over with more bark chips. So it looks like nothing really happened in this area, but hopefully the soil will be better than it was.
I did all of this for an L shaped area around the fire pit. It's the area with the darker wood chips. (They'd been in a pile slightly composting all winter.)Most of that yard work happened in the evening because it was too hot to work out there in the afternoon. So I need to back up and tell you about the early evening.
Back at home we still had the dog and no contact from the owners yet. But around 8:00 my across the street neigbor Karen called me. She said, "do you have our dog?" I was like, "This really is your dog?"
It was her dog. She was out of town, but her adult son who lives with her had accidently left the gate open. So we took the dog back over. Her name is Penny and she's 13 years old. They hardly ever let her out since she's so old and has trouble walking. That's why I'd never seen the dog before.
The kids all had youth group activates that night. Derrick's group was hiking to Pillar Falls, but he was still grumpy and not interested in that. So he didn't go. The girls were going rock climbing at Auger Falls. Veronica and Lydia went. They had a really good time. Charlotte wanted to go, but she decided she'd rather do things with her chickens instead.
The whole time I was working on adding soil amendments she was doing stuff with the coop. She divided it down the middle with chicken wire. She moved the 4 week old chicks into one half of the coop. They had half the upstairs and the fenced in underside of the coop. The big chickens got the other half of the coop with the door that leads outside. It was a really smart way to get the chickens used to living together without mixing them too much yet.
Thursday I was back to doing all the work things. They were boring. So let's just skip to the evening when I got to spend lots of time in the garden.
Oh wait we have to talk about the DMV first. I picked up Charlotte and Lydia from the parking lot when they were done with school on Thursday. We went to the DMV where the line was shorter - still out the door - but shorter and actually moving pretty quickly. After waiting patiently for 45 minutes it was our turn. And we found out that I was missing a document from the driving school.
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I swear Veronica's passport situation is easier than trying to get these practice permits.
Okay, back to Thursday evening. We had nothing planned for that night. I spent like 5 blissful hours just doing little projects around the yard. Watering, fertilizing the lawn, repotting basil, and transplanting 21 little sun flowers.
I have a bunch of volunteer sunflowers growing on the path in the back of my yard. I don't want them there.
So I moved 21 of them over to the new garden bed along the fence by the fire pit.I watered them really well and hoped they would survived. They did well overnight and through Friday morning. But Friday afternoon was HOT and I came out to find most of them wilted. But I watered them again on Friday evening and by Saturday morning they'd perked back up. So maybe they will survive.
I think this area will look good with a row of sun flowrs.
Brandon made sure the kids all packed their bags that night because they were going out of town on Saturday morning. At some point in the last week I'd realized that ALL I wanted for Mother's day was to be alone and not be in charge of ANYTHING. So Brandon was taking the kids to his parents house and I was going to have a blissful two days home alone.
On Saturday morning I woke up at 5:00 and woke the twins up. They were going to Lagoon with the band and orchestra. The high school kids go every year. But the Middle school kids can go starting in 8th grade. Both girls had been looking forward to this forever.
They got ready and made sure their stuff was packed. Brandon would pick them up from Lagoon at 6:00 that night and take them to his parents. So most of their stuff was going with Brandon, but they were taking a few of their things with them.
I drove them to the high school at 6:00. They wanted me to wait until the buses left - just in case they needed anything. So I hung around in the car, but I don't think they ever thought of me again after they got out of the car.
There were four charter buses for all the kids. I don't know which ones the girls were in, but we'll pretend it was this one.
And now it's Sunday and after ten and no one has come and found me to ask me questions yet. And I don't have to worry about anything.
This is the Mothers Day of my dreams.
Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you have a great mothers day however you choose to celebrate it.
















No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?