We are actually caught up on this blog - after this blog is finished. This post will cover from Sunday June 18th to Saturday June 26th.
Sunday was Father's Day. It's a good thing we didn't plan to make Brandon breakfast in bed because he slept and slept and slept. I think he finally got up around 10:30.
We'd hid his Candy Gram card under Charlotte and Lydia's bed when we'd made it on Thursday. I was so impressed that none of the kids had blabbed the secret to Brandon. Even Veronica who is notorious for giving away presents was able to keep the secret.
We put the card on the table after breakfast and when Brandon finally got up we all rushed up stairs to be there when he read it.

Here's what it said:
MR GOOD[DAD], We are just a bunch of NERDS, but we give you a perfect SCOR because you LOOK at something and U-NO how to fix it. Sometimes life is a ROCKY ROAD but today is your PAYDAY. You deserve a FAST BREAK so TAKE 5. You're not a DUD you're a MEGA dad. Mom things you're an IDAHO S[T]UD and a BIG HUNK of love. You make us SNICKER and bring us lots of JOY. You are such a GOOD dad. Love your SOUR PATCH KIDS.
We all got ready for church and went there. After church Brandon cooked Hamburgers with the grill. This wasn't exactly a Father's Day Present, but it came in handy this day.
Here we are eating on the patio. Notice how we are all wearing jackets. The weather was still unseasonably cold. We were all freezing on the patio.
The week before I'd talked to my siblings about our family rhubarb pie recipe and how it didn't direct you to cook down the rhubarb. Lindsey had found the recipe in her collection and texted it to all my siblings. We all had a good laugh at the recipe. We were especially aghast at the 3 eggs that went with the rhubarb filling. Then Brandon saw it and said the eggs made sense. He said he'd try to make the recipe. So he did it exactly as directed.
I tried it and it was . . . odd. It wasn't bad, but it was rather like eating sweet potatoes with a weird crust.
Anyway, we need to try a strawberry rhubarb pie. Here's another huge strawberry harvest. These ones were made into strawberry syrup for pancakes on Monday night.
Monday was the observed day for the Juneteenth. It's a new Federal Holiday which meant there wasn't any mail and the banks were closed. That meant that I didn't need to go to work.
So instead I planned to stay home and get a lot of studying done for the last little bit of my last class.
That morning I took Brandon to work at 6:00 and then went to Bible Study at 6:15. We are still doing Theology Proper. This week's material centered a lot around the Trinity. Which is not an LDS doctrine.
We also talked about God's Decrees which is basically what LDS people would call The Plan of Salvation.
I was there to just kind of listen and didn't chime in much. But it's still so cool to hear women talk about God so confidently. They could toss out scriptures in Psalms and Ephesians and talk about things they'd learned during recent sermons.
Contrast that with Sunday school at my ward on Sunday where people just talked in vague generalities about things. We are all somewhat aware that somewhere a scripture backs up what we are talking about, but we don't know. We are so scripturally illiterate in the LDS culture. It's sad.
Anyway, back at home I opened up my laptop and started reviewing some practice problems and watching some videos that recapped the various chapters.
And I immediately fell asleep.
Subsequent study sessions didn't go much better.
I tried powering through because I'd taken this whole day off. The kids were happily watching movies and were leaving me alone, but I could NOT focus on the super boring material.
After I picked Brandon up from work I disappeared in the basement to try to study. For some reason I kept getting really anxious about studying. I was nearly in tears at one point. It didn't make any sense. This was my last course and I had until June 30th to finish. That was 10 days away. But I was still having some sort of anxiety attack over this class.
I went back over the Pre-Assessment and realized that maybe I hadn't done as badly on it on Friday as I'd thought. Sure there had been a few areas where I was still approaching competent, but there were others where I was competent or exemplary.
I decided it was time to try to take the Objective Assessment. I was a little worried about it because I was still traumatized from not passing the Intermediate Accounting 3 test on my first try. But I also had to admit that studying wasn't working. If I failed I'd at least have a clear study plan. And if I passed - well then I'd be DONE.
So after dinner Brandon took the kids fishing at Dierkie's lake and I walked over to my work office to take my test.
I try to take my tests when the office isn't officially open, but sometimes there are still a few people around. I always put a note on my door saying when I'll be done. This time I added an extra note that said, "If you hear quiet weeping, it's normal.)
It was a hard test, but I felt pretty confident. Still I wasn't sure what the final result would be. So when I finished the test and logged into the school website I was a little shocked to see this.
I texted Brandon that I was done and then decided I wanted to celebrate with ice cream. I walked home and dropped off my stuff and then walked to Smiths to buy ice cream. I bought some for the whole family and then a pint just for me.
I went home and ate it on the patio.
Then I went inside and found the book Brandon had been reading. It's called "Project Hail Mary" it's by the same guy who wrote the Martian. I'd checked it out from the library for Brandon, but I'd planned to read it when I was done with school. And now I could.
It was so fun to read an actual fun book again.
The kids came home and we all celebrated the fact that I was done. We'd all made it through.
On Tuesday the kids had their first day of Vacation Bible School. Last year the three girls went to VBS at Full Life Family Church. They had loved it. I'd always planned to sign them up again. The kicker was a few weeks ago when I heard Veronica singing one of the songs she'd learned at VBS last year. It goes something like, "With my hands, I will praise him. With my feet I will praise him. With my life I will praise him." When I heard her singing that I knew that she had to go back again.
Full Life Family Church wasn't doing a VBS this year so I had to find another place. I picked Amazing Grace Fellowship because a lot of people said they had a great children's ministry. Also their VBS was scheduled for the week that I thought would be my last week of school. I figured it would be good to study each morning while the kids were at VBS.
None of the kids wanted to go. They were like, "Mom don't make us." I told them. "I'm not going to make you go somewhere you hate. BUT I'm also not going to let you sit around the house all summer and not try anything." I told all three girls that they had to go the first day. After they knew what VBS was like at this church they could decide whether or not they wanted to stay home.
So I took all four kids to the church building. Derrick's behavioral therapist met us there. I was hoping Derrick would like VBS, but the opening part was just too loud. He didn't want to stay. So Miss Brittani took him to a park.
Charlotte and Lydia were a little hesitant, but they were in a group together so I wasn't too worried about them. But Veronica was very, very nervous about the whole thing. This same thing happened last year. I'd had to stay with her for about 40 minutes last year so I was planning on that happening this year. I sat with her during the whole opening part. When she went with her group to the Bible Story part I said good bye.
I had a ministering interview at the LDS church which is like a block away from Amazing Grace. So I went there and did that. Then I went home and just kind of did nothing.
I had so many things I could do, but my brain was still a little in shock from finishing school a little early. So I just rattled around the house.
At 12:00 I went back to the church and picked up the girls. Veronica was practically glowing. She'd loved it all so much. She told me all about the Snack and how delicious it was. She told me about puppets that helped tell Bible Stories. She told me about games they'd played. She was definitely coming back the next day.
Charlotte was also interested in coming back the next day. She wasn't quite as enthusiastic as Veronica (few people are) but she'd had a good time.
Lydia told me she was not coming back. She'd had a good time, and I think she could have enjoyed the rest of the week. But I think she was also interested in testing my promise to see if I really wouldn't make her go. So I kept my promise and let her know that she could stay home the rest of the week.
I went to work in the afternoon when Brandon was home from work. I had a lot to do because I'd been home on Monday.
In the evening we also had team meeting at work. I was in charge of picking up a snack for our meeting. Since I still had so many strawberries I decided to bring those. I bought little short cakes at the store and brought cut up strawberries and whole strawberries too. They were a big hit and everyone was impressed that I'd grown them.
The kids had all made tie dye shirts at VBS and were encouraged to wear them all week long. The shirts were sent home in baggies and had to sit in the dye overnight. So after I dropped Brandon off at work on Tuesday I came home and rinsed out the shirts and got them washed and dried so that kids could wear them.
The VBS leaders had even made a shirt for Derrick which was really appreciated. He'd already left with Miss Brittani when this picture was taken, so we just had the girls hold the shirt up. Lydia still didn't want to go, but she wore her shirt anyway.
I dropped the kids off at VBS and then went to work. (Lydia just stayed home and watched TV.) I was training my backup and Wednesday morning worked better for both of us this week.
At 11:30 Miss Brittani dropped Derrick off to me. He was soaking wet from the splash pad they'd been playing at. He and I picked up the girls from VBS. They showed me some cool sand art they'd done that day.
When Brandon came home from work I went back to my work. I had a lot of stuff that I hadn't been able to do that morning during training. Also I just felt like I had more room in my brain to focus on work stuff. I wrote a big to do list and got through a lot of it.
On Wednesday evening the girls had a Young Women's Activity at the pool. I'd been asked to go along to help out since one of the leaders was out of town. I brought Derrick and Veronica too. We all had a good time at the pool. It was kind of funny to watch Derrick and Veronica who were only 10 and 8 pass the swim check while the 11-14 year old girls didn't even try.
On Thursday Derrick went with Mr Kelly again. They went fishing at Dierkie's lake. Lydia stayed home again (she was really liking all the time to herself after a month of being with her siblings non-stop.) Charlotte and Veronica went to VBS for another day. This time they made cross necklaces with beads that represented different things. They wore them proudly for days. (And in our house we don't have any hang-ups about crosses so I didn't mind at all.)
I went to work again and chewed through more of that to-do list. It was kind of amazing to dedicate so much time and attention to work.
The kids all had a dentist appt at noon so I had to pick up Lydia from home and then the other two a little early from VBS. I'd told their leaders so they had them waiting for me at the check out tables. Derrick and Mr Kelly met us at the dentist office.
The kids did great and once again we had no cavities. The dentist commented that all three girls have really similar x-rays. They all have the same tooth coming in under a baby tooth. He was surprised that 8 year old Veronica has such advanced teeth. That's how she's always been.
Once again I went back to work in the afternoon. By the time I left I'd finished all but three things on my to do list. I've felt on top of things at work, but now I feel like I have a good foundation to stand on and stay on top of things.
It was an end of a pay period that day. My time sheet said I'd worked 7 hours more than usual. And that was WITHOUT working Monday.
When I got home from work on Thursday night I came home to a little RV trailer in our driveway. Brandon's friend had asked him to de-winterize his RV and do a few small repairs. The easiest thing was to just park it in our driveway.
That night we had "Beaver Tails" for dinner. These were a dessert that I'd noticed while waiting in line at Lagoon. Basically it was scones with dessert toppings. Was this a healthy dinner? Not by any means. Was it a memorable one? Absolutely.
Lydia showed me the staircase she'd made for her Barbie house. I was super impressed. I told her she could be in charge of building our staircase when we remodel the house.
All summer long I'd been wondering when we'd turn on the airconditioner. There had been a few warm to hot days, but they'd been rare enough that we hadn't turned on the AC. We'd just gone down in the basement during the hottest parts of the day.
Well in the afternoon of Thursday June 23rd Brandon finally decided it was time to turn on the AC. It was on for about 20 minutes when a huge windstorm whipped up outside. So we opened the windows again and let the air blow into the house.
There were some big clouds that came with the windstorm. There was a really cool sunset that night.
I took pictures of my flowers in the orangish light that it gave off.
They looked so cool.
Check out the peony.
And the marigolds.
Brandon had been working on the jeep a lot throughout the week. The engine was all together and painted. Like all together!!! I'll admit I had my doubts that we'd ever get to this point. But here we are.

And here's the place it will go. We are so so so so so close to having a second car again.
Friday was the last day of VBS. Charlotte and Veronica went for their last day. Derrick didn't have therapy so he just stayed home with Lydia. I went to work, but since this was Friday I only went in for about an hour.
Then I came home and called my parents and had a great conversation with them for over an hour. It's amazing to not have to worry about homework anymore.
I picked up Charlotte and Veronica at 12:00. They'd had a bounce house to play on that day. Charlotte's leader had said she'd really enjoyed Charlotte and week. Veronica's leader said something like, "Veronica was never scared after that first day." They got a popsicle on the way out and that was it.
Charlotte will be too old for VBS next year, but Veronica will be old enough for a few more years. We will definitely be back. (Especially since I've heard her singing some new songs that she learned this year.)
We went home and started watching Empire Strikes Back for our Star Wars movie of the week. The kids really liked this one too. They'd seen this one before and I think it was the one they remembered best. They kept saying things like, "Oh I've seen this part."
Charlotte had been saving her money for a lego set that she wanted. She had $40 from the art contest she won. The lego set she wanted was $88 and she'd been slowly earning money. We have a couple ways to earn money in our house. The kids get $1 for babysitting themselves when Brandon and I are gone for things like work or taking Derrick to speech therapy. They get $2 when we are on a date. They also can earn $1 for helping with dinner. Charlotte was doing all these things and dutifully saving her money.
I'd already bought the set when it was a good deal on Amazon so it was just waiting in the closet until she had all the money. On Friday she decided she couldn't wait any longer. She talked Lydia into loaning her $14 so she could "buy" the set from me.
Lydia and I agreed and Charlotte had her set.
All three girls went downstairs and started putting it together. Here's what it looks like all set up.
There were so many cute details and animals.

It even had a big slide.
And a "Momma" elephant.
And a bathroom.
There were also these separate little things.
Here are the girls sitting around working on the set. I was reading to them while they played. That's another thing I have more time for now. I've always read to them, but now I can do it without thinking about how much school work I still need to do. We finished Fablehaven and started reading The Silver Crown.
Another thing I've been doing with the kids is playing chess. Veronica LOVES to play chess with me and she's actually pretty good. Sure, I could probably beat her if I didn't go a little easy on her, but she catches me and takes my pieces unexpectedly a lot of the time. Now that I'm done with school she's always setting up the board and saying things like, "Mom, come play chess with me."
On Friday night we went to the pool around 9:00 PM. This was something we've looked forward to for a while. The pool was doing a nighttime movie. They were showing Moana.
And for once the pool water was actually WARM. The last couple of days had been hot enough to warm up the water. It felt so good when I got in. When I'd been at the pool with the kids on Wednesday night I hadn't put my head under the water. But this time I did. Veronica and I played "dive for the gem" over and over again. Later we switched to playing catch with a small pool ball. And later we shot baskets with the water polo balls. It was probably one of my favorite times at the pool ever. Definitely from this summer.
Derrick has always wanted to swim "at midnight" so he was really excited to do it again. He passed the swim check and was able to go in the deep end. He started going off the diving board and did it over and over again. Here he is in a rare moment of sitting on the side of the pool.
Charlotte and Lydia were also having a good time. We'd invited their best friends - the other set of twins to come with us. All of them had a great time in the water.
Here's the movie set up. The pool is on the left side of the picture. There is a grassy area on the right side and that's where the movie screen was. Brandon didn't want to get into the water so he sat with the other twins' mom and talked to her before the movie started.
The movie started playing around 9:45. Both sets of twins got out of the water to watch the movie. We'd brought changes of clothes and pillows and blankets so they were pretty comfortable.
Derrick, Veronica, and I stayed in the water. Here's Derrick climbing out of the pool to do another dive.
And here he is jumping.
Veronica and I got out around 10:30 when the water wasn't quite warm anymore. We went into the bathroom to change. When I came out Derrick was sitting at the life guard station right by the locker rooms. I was like, "What's going on?" And the lady in charge told me that he'd fallen off the diving board and she was doing an accident report. I guess Derrick had walked off the end of board while he was distracted by the movie.
He had a scrape on his foot that wasn't bleeding and later would have a pretty big bruise on his butt (that he keeps trying to show to people) but he wasn't too hurt. In fact, he was already asking to go back to the diving board while I finished giving information for the accident report.
He went back to the diving board and jumped off at least another 50 times.
The pool gradually emptied out. Derrick was the only kid in the deep end for at least the last half hour. There were probably 5 people in the shallow end. A lot of people stopped watching the movie and went home. But we stuck it out.
Derrick jumped off the diving board right up until the end of the movie at about 11:15. He'd had a great time. As we walked away he said to the people taking down the blow up screen, "Thanks for letting us swim at night and watch a movie!"
The girls were all freezing from sitting around for so long. I was feeling pretty cold too. We were so happy to get back into our warm car.
We got home around 11:30 and everyone was starving. Normally the kids eat popcorn after swimming. This time I told everyone they could have cereal. I wanted them to go to bed with some food in their tummies so they wouldn't wake up hungry early in the morning.
We all went to bed around 11:45. I was so cold I wore sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt. I should have put socks on too because I felt like me feet never warmed up that night.
In the morning I woke up around 6:30 and took care of watering all the plants (We are only able to water every other day so it's very important I don't miss a day.) Then I went back to bed and slept until like 11:00.
I was tired from the night before, but I was also just tired in general. I'd just done a bachelors degree in a year. I needed a break.
Even after I got up I didn't do much. I laid on the couch reading for a long time. Brandon went to de-winterize an other RV for a friend. That friend paid him in cash and Brandon came home and gave the cash to me. He said, "Here this is for our RV business." That perked me right up. I love accounting for cash.
Normally I would do a deposit right away for any cash, but we don't have a bank account for the business yet because we don't have a Tax ID number because we don't have a name yet.
Still there was a lot I could do. I set up a Google folder for the business (under my email for now because we don't have a business email because we don't have a name.) I created some basic spreadsheets for keeping track of money.
I even got on the secretary of state website and checked our potential business name to make sure it's available. It is.
Right now, our biggest hurdle is setting up the LLC. I want to make sure we do it right- especially since I want Brandon and I to be co-owners of the business. So I emailed the Small Business Development Center and requested an appt. I'm hoping they can direct us to a lawyer who can help get the LLC set up correctly.
Brandon's friend had invited us to a BBQ at the park later that evening to celebrate his daughter's half birthday. (Her real birthday is Christmas Day and that just doesn't work out very well, so they do fun things on her half birthday.)
We had a great time at the party. It was with several family's in our ward. I know them all, but not well so it was fun to have a chance to sit and talk. Here are the kids eating cake. This was the only time all 4 of them were together. Most of the time they were playing with one of those battery operated kid sized cars. They were slightly too big, but they all took turns squishing in so they could have fun driving.

When the party was over Brandon and I dropped the kids off at home and then went on a date. Since we'd already ate at the party we just went to another park. We talked about name ideas and started drawing up a logo. I went through a business plan checklist and filled that out.
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually really excited to be starting a business.
Things are never boring around here.
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?