Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2022

The busy week I somehow made busier

This was a week for the books.  On the Thursday before this week, my friend Liz asked me if we could get together to talk as friends and not just about PTO stuff. I looked at my calendar and realized I had absolutely no free time this week. 

It was the type of week where all the weekly things, all the twice a month things, and all the monthly things lined up to happen in one week. Plus I was scheduled to try to finish a class at the end of the week. 

I told Liz that sadly we couldn't get together, I was just too busy.

And then I found out that I'd made it onto the Baconsale anniversary show as a contestant to be The Listener.  They would record on Wednesday night - smack dab in the middle of my busy week. I've been dreaming of being on Baconsale since the podcast started in 2015 and I've been trying to get onto the anniversary show since they started the tradition in 2017. So no matter how busy the week was, this was one of those "drop everything and go" situations. 

And I'm going to tell you ALL about it in a minute.  But first let's go though some of the other things that were happening.  

First up is this picture that somehow didn't make it into last week's huge recap post.  Lydia recently had her hair cut. Now she and Charlotte are hard to tell apart again. They didn't help things by dressing EXACTLY the same one day. 

And what would this blog be without an update on my flowers. The pink tulips started to open up.
Okay let's start with what happened Monday April 25th. 

The day started out at 5:45 when my alarm went off for Bible Study.  I got ready and went over to Liz's house. (We normally meet at a church, but her husband was out of town so it was easier to met in her living room this week.) 

Bible Study starts at 6:15. And it is totally worth getting up that early. We officially started the study of Systematic Theology. A synonym for Systematic is Organized. So think of it as an organized study of God and what the Bible teaches. 

I've actually been thinking about doing some sort of theology study when I finish my accounting degree. I was just planning to go to the library and check out a book and study it on my own. But as often happens, Liz had what I needed. Several months ago she sent out an email explaining that Systematic Theology would be the focus for our ladies study for the year.  She included a link to the book we'd use.  So I ordered that right away. 

Bible Study ended at 7:30 and I hurried home to walk the kids to school to Brandon could leave for work. 

Charlotte wasn't feeling well so she was laying on the couch.  She looked miserable so Brandon had agreed to let her stay home.  When I got back from walking the kids to school I had Charlotte take one of our home COVID tests. It came out negative. 

After that I worked on some PTO stuff.  Then I headed over to work to get ready for Admin meeting. Charlotte just stayed home and watched TV.  I planned to only stay at work for 90 minutes, but it turned into about 3 hours.  (This was my theme for work all week long.)

When I got back home I was surprised to find out that Charlotte had thrown up. I felt so bad that I'd been gone for so long. But she said it was okay.

The other set of twins came over like they always do on Mondays. One of them had been sick with a similar stomach bug the week before so I figured they'd already been exposed to whatever germs we had. 

That evening Veronica had her Karate class.  At the end of the class Veronica played a tug of war game.  She got pulled across the floor by the other kid, but she thought it was so fun.

I spent most of Veronica's karate class reading school stuff on the WGU app.  I was able to get through a lot of material.

Okay onto Tuesday. Charlotte still wasn't feeling well on Tuesday and neither was Lydia.  So they both stayed home from school. 

I went to work and spent another 3 hours getting things done. 

At home I was able to get all the school reading done.  

And here's a check in with my garden.  These flowers make me so happy.
Here are blossoms on my cherry tree in the back yard. 
Peach blossoms. 
My lettuce garden. 
Derrick had behavioral therapy and Boys activity. Miss Brittani took him to Boys activity and made sure he interacted with the other kids.  This has been such a good arrangements.  When I go with Derrick he just asks me if we can leave and we usually skip out early because I have other things to do.  But it's Miss Brittani's job to keep him engaged.  So they stay the whole time and he does really well with the other kids when she is around. 

Normally I take Veronica to Karate on Monday's and Thursdays.  But the gym has a drop in schedule which means she can attend any level one class on any day of the week.  That worked out really well for us this week. She couldn't go Thursday because of a thing at the school.  And she couldn't go on Wednesday because I'd be out of town with the car.  So I had her go on Tuesday. 

Advancements were supposed to be on Wednesday and Thursday, but I talked to the coach and he agreed to do her advancement on Tuesday.  So at the end of class on Tuesday he had her come up and answer the basic questions that he askes at every class.  Then she got her white belt.  She was so thrilled. Here she is with the board that has the answers to the basic questions. 

When we were back from Karate, Brandon and I went over to one of my ministering sisters' house to pick up a loveseat.  I've been looking for a loveseat for a while. She'd posted on the ward facebook page that she was giving away one for free.  So I told her I was interested.  It was a win win situation. She didn't have to try to take the loveseat to DI and I got a free loveseat.  It's so nice to have another place to sit in our living room.  A few days later we were all putting on shoes in the morning and we ALL had a place to sit.  
I sat down to take my Pre-exam late that night.  I completely bombed it.  But I kind of expected that.  I knew I needed to sit down with the practice questions.  The big problem was that I wasn't sure when I would have time to do that.  

Okay here we are to Wednesday.   It started out normal enough.  Charlotte and Lydia both went to school. I went to work and put in a few hours there.  

But then things were different.  I came home and packed my backpack for and overnight trip. I wrapped a mothers day present for my mom.  And I dug up a bunch of strawberry plants to take to my sister Emily's house.  

Brandon got home from work at 2:00 (he'd gone in at 6:00 in order to get off of work early.)  I packed my things in the car and then started driving to Utah.  

This was so odd.  The last time I drove far away by myself was for my sisters' trip in 2019.  And even then I'd had tons of camping stuff in my car.  It seemed so strange to drive away from home with just me and a few things in the car.  

I'd debated whether or not I should listen to old episodes of Baconsale while I drove. Earlier in the week I'd gone back and made a list of all the previous shows from the last year. I'd even listened to the end of some so that I could remember who won certain bracket challenges. But I decided I didn't want to oversaturate myself before recording that night. So instead I listened to the Bible Talk Podcast. This is another thing I've picked up from Liz. I've been listening to it a lot lately to prepare for the Come Follow Me lessons on the Old Testaments. 

On this drive I listened to the first several episodes about Leviticus.  I always thought Leviticus was boring. And it is - IF you don't know what the heck is going on.  But these podcasts really helped me understand it. 

I made it to my sister Emily's around 5:30. She was able to head over to a choir performance for Bridger. She was going to take all the kids and had invited me to go along too.  That was fine with me, but I realized Juniper was still asleep.  I asked Emily, "Would it be better if I just stayed her with Juniper?"  She said, "Um yes that would be much better."  

Vance decided to stay home too and so did Titus (who hadn't wanted to go to begin with). Hazel was all of a sudden not feeling well so she stayed home to take a nap in Emily's bed.  So Emily and Asher were the only ones that went to the elementary school for Bridger's concert. 


Juniper woke up a little after Emily left.  We had a good time hanging out. She was much happier than last time I babysat her. 
Emily came home around 6:45 and Hazel threw up almost immediately after Emily came home. I was like, "Oh I'm so sorry, I have to go record my podcast now, and I'm leaving you to clean up throw up." But Emily told me, "No, you were so helpful. This would have happened at the school if you hadn't been here."  So that made me feel better about leaving. 

So I got into my car and drove down to Bountiful to meet up with everyone for the recording. Normally they record the show at home.  But for the anniversary shows they usually pick somewhere bigger.  They've rented out studios in the past.  This year they did it at Blake's Barber Shop in Bountiful. Zack, one of the hosts works there, and Blake is a supporter of the podcast so that's where they recorded this year. 

Recording in Bountiful had special significance for me. Brandon and I were married in the Bountiful Temple and we lived in Bountiful from 2010-2012. Charlotte, Lydia, and Derrick were all born when we lived in Bountiful.  When I was pregnant with Derrick I'd listen to the radio while driving to doctors appointments.  I started listening to the morning show on 101.9 The End.  There was a movie review guy that was on the show on Tuesday's and Fridays.  He'd have reviews of new releases and would also share Top 5 lists. I got to the point where I was scheduling my doctors appointments on Tuesdays and Fridays so I could listen to that movie guy, Kenny D. 

Later I'd start listening to the show on the radio at home.  I listened most days, but I for sure never missed a Tuesday or Friday.  

When we moved to Texas in 2013 I listened to the show on the I Heart Radio App on my laptop. The radio show was cancelled in August of 2013 and I was devastated.  But the show came back as a the Radio Ronin Podcast in 2014 - just as Brandon went to Korea. That show kept me company while Brandon was gone.

Kenny D was on Radio Ronin, but he also started Baconsale with his work friends in April of 2015 - weeks before I moved to Fort Rucker, Alabama. For the next 4 years I'd listen to Kenny D on Radio Ronin and then listen to his alter ego, Kent on Baconsale. Those podcasts were with me for so many things.  Driving across the country when we moved from Alabama back to Utah.  Driving up the mountain to work at Snowbasin.  Driving over the Dunraven Pass on my way to and from work at Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone.  Walking around on my lunch break in Pocatello. Packing up my stuff in Pocatello and unpacking it in Twin Falls. 

These shows meant a lot to me so I started supporting them on Patreon. In September of 2019 I won a contest for Radio Ronin.  I won an R2D2 Mug that Kenny had picked out in Disneyland. I took it to work and proudly displayed it on my desk.

Just a few weeks later, things went wrong with Radio Ronin and Kenny was forced to pick between Radio Ronin and Baconsale. He picked Baconsale. I continued listening to both shows for a while, but realized that Kenny had been my favorite part of Radio Ronin.  So I gave up on that show and just listened to Baconsale. 

So here I was, finally going to meet Kenny/Kent after 10.5 years of listening to him. And it was going to happen in Bountiful where I'd first discovered him. Yes, this was very significant. 

In some ways I'd already met Kent. At some point in the last few years we'd become Facebook friends.  I'd messaged him a few times. I also had sent him supportive messages when he'd had to pick a podcast. I'd also been on a zoom call that Baconsale did with listeners in December of 2020. But those things didn't measure up to meeting him in person. 

So before I walked into Blake's Barber Shop I took a couple deep breaths.  This was FINALLY going to happen. 

I walked in and Kent just happened to be the person closest to the door.  He said, "Hi Valerie" and came over to give me a big hug.  Everything was worth it right then.  

Joel came over and gave me a big hug.  Zack would come over in the next few minutes too. 

I'd brought the R2D2 mug in my purse.  I told Kent, "I have a weird request. I have a relic I won from an unnamed podcast.  Can I get you to sign it."  I pulled it out and Kent said, "Oh I remember this."  He agreed to sign it, but he said, "You know I'm just Kent right.  I'm just a regular guy." I told him I still wanted his autograph. 

We chatted for a little while.  I told him that we were basically best friends, he just didn't know it. He'd pick up on that and keep bringing it up during the recording. 

I was introduced to everyone else that was there.  And wow, there were a lot more people than I'd expected.  In addition to Kent, Joel, and Zack there were the three contestants, myself, Chad, and Mark. Mark had brought his wife.  Zack's wife and his mom were both there.  Joel's wife was there too. (apparently this was the first recording she'd ever been to.) Blake the Barber and his wife were there.  Also the 3 previous The Listener were there- Sam, Adrianne, and Spencer. That makes 15 people.  Here's a picture of most of the people who were there.


The atmosphere was like a family reunion/party. Everyone had fun talking and socializing.  I was nervous and yet also felt right at home. There was pizza and lots of treats.  The guys had asked the contestants what our favorite treats and drinks were.  They had kitkats and sugar free A&W Root beer for me. I felt so at home.

I'd arrived at 7:30.  Around 7:45 Zach announced that they planned to push record at 8:00.  So around 7:55 we sat down at the microphones.  The guys explained how to adjust the microphones so that they'd be right on our mouths. Joel said, "We want this to be as natural as possible, but Kent will cut out any awkward parts or pauses."  

The guys started into the show with the intro and usual business.  I loved watching them do something that I usually only hear. It was also interesting to see them stop and say things like, "oh I don't have that list in front of me can you send it to me real fast."  

Then they started introducing guests and I had to talk.  This was the part I was nervous about.  I've done a fair amount of public speaking, but usually I'm the only one on stage and I'm doing a rehearsed talk. I've never been on a podcast or really had to interact with other people during a presentation.  I was worried I'd either come across as bland or SUPER hyper/weird. But in the moment I felt like I was being myself in a natural way.

The anniversary show is a contest to find "The Listener."  I was competing against Mark and Chad to be "The Listener." After the introductions were over we went into the rounds of the contest.  

I'll let you listen to the show to know the details of the questions.  But here are some behind the scenes things. We did 10 rounds. After every 3 rounds we'd pause and take a break.  We could get more snacks and pizza. The microphones never stopped recording though. Kent reminded us that anything we said could get used as a sample at the end of the show.

Some rounds were buzzer rounds and some were ones that we had to use whiteboards. Some rounds I did well on.  Some I didn't do so great. During one of the breaks Mark's wife told me, "I don't know how you know any of these answers.  You're doing great."

I'm not going to tell you who won. (The episode drops at Midnight on Monday morning.  You can find it at baconsale.com or on podcast apps.) But I will tell you a silly story at the end.  Joel strongly urged all the contestants to take home the treats that had been picked out for them.  So I went over to the cooler and picked up the remining 5 A&W bottles.  Just then someone said, "Oh let's do a picture, where's Valerie."  So everyone looked at me as I'm holding 5 bottles of rootbeer.  I said, "Hey, this is the real prize right here!"  That got a big laugh. Someone said that should be part of the contestant picture.  

It wasn't though.  This is the real picture with the three contestants. I'm still in shock that I'm part of this. 

We finished recording around 10:30.  The other The Listeners commented that this was probably when they STARTED recording their anniversary shows. Adrianne was like, "And we didn't have chairs!"  

We stood around talking for a while.  A reoccurring guest of the show, Mats, showed up. He has a lot of energy so you know when he's around. I told him, "I'm a huge fan of your episodes." Everyone got into a discussion about if his name is pronounced Mats or Mots.  Mats said, "I don't care, I'm just so excited that Joel Hilton knows who I am."  I was like, "Same, but with Kent."

Eventually people started leaving.  I gave Kent one last hug and thanked him for a great night. Then I drove back to Emily's house. As I drove I realized I had a big problem. I'd always assumed that if I could just be on one episode of Baconsale I'd be happy. But now I'm realizing I want more.  I want to be on Baconsale again and again.  That night had been so much fun, I'm going to be chasing that high for a while. 

Everyone was asleep when I got to Emily's so I just texted Brandon and told him I'd tell him all about it later. I realized I'd completely forgot to pack pajamas so I just slept in my clothes. 

In the morning, Emily's kids were so excited to hear how everything went.  They've listened to a few episodes so they were interested in what it was like.  I'd found out that Joel grew up in Layton very close to where they live.  I told them, "Guess what. You guys go to the same elementary school that Joel did." They thought that was really cool.

I hung around Emily's for a couple hours.  But soon it was time to get going. I left the present for my mom with her.  And also made sure Emily had the strawberries.  Bringing those things had helped me justify the expense of going down to Utah by myself. 

I drove back to Twin Falls and arrived around 1:30. I went straight to work and took care of things for about an hour.  I probably wouldn't have gone in, but it was the end of a pay period and I wanted to make sure everything was right before my boss ran payroll.  

Then at 2:30 I went over the school and picked up Derrick for speech therapy and occupational therapy.  We stopped at the house so I could leave a note (and some candy) for the girls.  Then we went to his appointment.  While he was doing his therapy I attempted to catch up on emails.  I had an email from Baconsale asking what I wanted for my prize from the Baconsale Merch store.  I picked a Blue Baconsale Hoodie. I also won and Amazon gift card so I started to try to decide what to buy.  

We came back home and Brandon had dinner going.  He'd rode his bike to and from work that day. I caught up with everyone about what had happened while I was gone.  Derrick had been able to go swimming with Miss Brittani. Veronica had got a ride with Kaymie and her daughter to go to Girls Activity.   And Charlotte and Lydia hadn't had to worry about Young Women's because it was cancelled in favor of a Stake Activity on Saturday. 

Dinner was short because I had to run over to the school. The school was hosting the Magic Valley Children's Museum for a STEAM night. I wanted to have a table set up representing the PTO so we could get the word out for any parents that were interested in volunteering next year.  Plus this table was a test run for a district wide event happening next week. 

I got the table set up and hung out there all evening.  The kids and Brandon bounced around between the STEAM activities in the lunch room and the book fair in the library.  Sometimes Brandon was with them.  And sometimes he wasn't.  We've come a long way from when they had to be constantly supervised. 
The other kids went home with Brandon after about 45 minutes.  But Charlotte stayed with me.  When it was all over she showed me her AR star. 
That night I really should have sat down and studied for school. But that was a lost cause at this point. Instead I wanted to read over some really cool things I'd learned about in the Bible Talk episodes that I'd listened to on the way home.  The final Leviticus episode had traced how certain prophesies in Leviticus are echoed in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, and then fulfilled by Jesus. I was particularly interested in reading Daniel 9.  I'd never heard the story talked about there and had certainly never read it.  It's really really cool.  And thanks to the foot notes in my ESV study Bible I could see how it tied into the greater Bible Narrative. 
On Friday we slept in a few minutes because I'd forgot to turn on all the alarms I'd turned off at Emily's house.  Most of the kids were up and going and to school without too much trouble.  But Charlotte wasn't feeling well again. So she stayed home again. 

I took her with me to work in the morning. I was planning to only be there about 90 minutes because I wanted to get back home and join the At Last She Said It zoom call. I've missed the last several because of scheduling problems, but I didn't have any schedule problems this time. 

The call started about 12:00 and around 11:45 I heard Charlotte's breathing change.  She was fast asleep on the futon in my office.  So I just stayed at work and got a lot done.  It ended up being another unexpected 3 hour work day.
By the time the other kids came home from school we were all pretty tired from the week. I fell asleep on the couch.  When Brandon came home we decided we should just get pizza for dinner so he ordered some from Dominos. 

That evening we watched Hotel Transylvania 4 for movie night. 

Saturday was a productive and yet also restful day.  We got the house clean and Brandon mowed the lawn. But we decided that Charlotte and Lydia didn't need to go to the Stake Youth Service project for 4 hours because neither of them were feeling that great. 

We did end up helping my neighbor Diantha set up tables and chairs for a region singles conference.  Her first round of volunteers cancelled on her so she called Brandon because he's her ministering brother. I said we'd all go to help.  The kids were kind of like, "Uhhh why do we have to do this . . . this is hard."  I was like, "Hey, setting up tables and chairs was my childhood because my dad was the bishop. You can do it once."

They ended up having a great time helping and then exploring the church building.  It's one of the oldest in Twin Falls - if not the oldest - so it had 3 stories and lots of interesting features.  

We also helped Diantha blow up balloons with a balloon machine for a balloon wall.  That was fun too. 

When all that was over Derrick and I drove over to Tubbs Berry Farm for "Bee Days."  By the time we got there the event was officially over.  But the owners were nice and let Derrick see some bees. 
They even gave us a drone to take home.  Derrick named it Buzzy and talked to it and loved it - until it died about 3 hours later.  (The farmer had told us it would probably die within the next day or two.)
Here's Buzzy in his little cage.  We might get a whole hive from Tubbs Berry Farm next year.  Derrick likes that idea, but the other kids are terrified. 
I really should have studied on Saturday.  But I decided to just give up on that for the week.  It hadn't happened yet so there wasn't much point in doing it now.  I'll hit everything hard next week and hopefully finish the course Tuesday or Wednesday. 

Instead I made a bag to hold all my Bible Study stuff.  

By this point recording on Baconsale feels like a dream.  I'm like, "I didn't really drive down to Utah on a Wednesday and meet Kenny and record and episode of Baconsale. That has to have been a dream."

I guess we'll find out for sure Monday morning at Midnight. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers