It's been like a week and a half long party at my house. We had my birthday on the 7th and then we had a bunch of valentines activities going on. This is one of my favorite times of the year.
But actually it didn't start out that fun.
I wrote my last post from two weeks ago from under a strange feeling of sadness. I don't know why, but I felt very sad on Sunday night. All I wanted to do was curl up on the couch and do nothing, but I knew if I didn't update my blog I'd be more than two weeks behind and I hate getting that far behind. So I wrote through the crappy feeling and by the end of it I was feeling a little better.
I felt better on Monday. A big storm was supposed to be hitting Utah and Idaho. My Facebook friends were posting lots of pictures of their snow, some places even had snow days. Brandon set his alarm early so he could shovel snow before going to work. But when the alarm went off we didn't have any snow outside. So we got ready for school and work like it was any other day.
The kids and I headed out the door and were surprised to see snow falling! It was too late to change into snow boots so they all just went to school in their tennis shoes. We did grab gloves very fast.
We got barely half and inch of snow and it melted pretty quick once the sun started shining again. That's probably been my favorite thing about winter in Twin Falls. It will snow, but the snow doesn't stick around and get dirty.
Monday night after dinner we all kind of looked at each other and wondered what we were going to do. We usually read Harry Potter, but we couldn't start the next book until we watched the movie and the movie hadn't come in at the library yet. We decided to play a few games. We played Candy Land and Go Fish. It was really fun.
After the kids went to bed I had another case of the "the saddies." (Somehow infantilizing the name makes me feel better about how I feel.) I think I was suffering from a little bit of a vitamin D deficiency. I vowed that I'd spend time outside on the next sunny day.
Tuesday was a productive day. Veronica and I went grocery shopping and then met up with a new friend at the library. Amy is very involved in the special needs community here in Twin Falls and we were trying to put together an Autism Awareness Event in April. We talked about a lot of ideas, but gradually realized that we don't have time or resources to pull off a large scale event. So later we scaled down our idea - at least for this year.
Derrick went to the boys activity at church in the evening. Brandon has been taking him and then hanging out in the foyer of the church just in case Derrick had any behavioral issues. We'll this week the boys were taking thank you notes to the police officers and dogs that had visited them two weeks ago. Brandon and I decided to let Derrick go with the leaders and other boys without one of us tagging along. I was a little worried about how he would do, but I know he goes with his therapist all the time and follows her directions so I figured this wouldn't be any different.
And guess what? It turned out just fine. I never got a full story of what happened, but this is the type of thing where no news is good news. I'm assuming Derrick didn't do anything out of the ordinary. When the activity was over the leaders dropped him off at our house. He walked into the house and was in such a good mood from hanging out with all the boys his own age. This is very good for him.
I'd felt a little achy all day and thought that I might be coming down with a cold. I'd bought nighttime cold medicine when I went grocery shopping so I took that before bedtime. This was the first time I took night time cold medicine since the kids were babies. I'd realized then that I couldn't wake up and take care of them in the middle of the night so I've avoided night time cold medicine for years. But I figured I could start taking it again because they all sleep through the night.
Big mistake.
The kids did sleep through the night, but I didn't realized that I would still be sleepy in the morning. Normally I'm out of bed by 6:45 at the latest. On Wednesday I got out of bed around 7:10. The kids and Brandon were already up and getting ready for the day.
I got ready too and then took the kids to school. As I backed out of the driveway I thought, "am I awake enough to be driving?" I got the kids to school and made it to work okay, but I could tell I wasn't fully awake. Everything took my twice as long to do. I felt like my brain was foggy. I ended up leaving work after only being there about an hour.
I went home and went to sleep on the couch. I got Veronica from school and then slept on the couch some more. The other kids came home and I was still in a fog. I let them watch a movie almost as soon as they got home. Brandon doesn't come home from work on Wednesday evenings because it's his free night to do what ever he wants. So instead of making dinner I just let the kids eat cereal. I kept telling them I was sorry that I wasn't doing more for them. Charlotte was looking at me like, "What are you sorry about, we are having the time of our lives watching movies and eating cereal for dinner."
Somehow I did help everyone take baths and got them to bed at a decent time. I laid on the couch again after the kids were in bed. My brain finally cleared and I was able to take care of some things before Brandon got home. I was actually feeling much better by the time I went to bed.
I never did get sick so I guess the cold medicine worked, but I'm not taking nighttime cold medicine on a week night ever again.
Anyway, by Thursday I felt like I was finally feeling like myself again. I was awake, I was alert, and I was happy.
When the kids came home from school we got out their valentines cards and candy and worked on putting everything together.
I was surprised at the variety of the ways we could do valentines. Charlotte and Lydia each had Blow Pop suckers. The box the suckers came in was cardboard and the valentines were made by cutting out little cardboard squares from the side of the box. This was kind of a cool option for creating less waste. Though the individual Valentines were tiny.Veronica's were airheads that slipped into two slots on a Valentine. These were relatively easy to put together. Derrick's were my favorite. His were stickers that he just had to stick onto packages of skittles. They were so easy. I want to find ones like that every year.
When Brandon came home we had dinner. During dinner I got the sense that the kids and Brandon needed me out of the house so they could work on some Birthday stuff. I was planning to do a lot of thrift shopping on my birthday, and I decided I might as well get started now. So I left and went to DI and started clothes shopping. I couldn't do much because I had to by at PTA meeting at 7:00 but I still found four shirts so it was a good start.
I went to PTA meeting and then went to Joanns and looked at fabric. Derrick wants me to make him a vest with whales on it to wear after he gets baptized. So I was looking to see what was available at the store.
Then I went and wandered around Fred Meyers. By about 9:00 I'd run out of places to wander so I headed home.
The next day was by BIRTHDAY!!!! The kids all wished me a happy birthday all morning long. I dropped them off at school and then went to DI and did some major thrift shopping. I found 7 new shirts, three pairs of pants, 2 cardigans, 4 undershirts, and a really pretty swim suit cover up/dress.
I picked up Veronica from school and we had a good afternoon at home. When I picked up Derrick from school he was so excited to see me and wish me happy birthday again. It was a nice day outside and we talked about how it felt like spring. When we got home he stood by our flower bed and yelled to the bulbs under the ground, "WAKE UP FLOWERS ITS SPRING!!!!" I had to tell him it's not spring yet.
The kids played outside for a long time after they got home from school. I spent time out there too to get some vitamin D. When Brandon came home we had 7 layer dip and chips for dinner. The flowers are ones that the kids picked out with Brandon at the dollar store the night before.
Then we opened presents. Brandon did a good job picking things out.
Then we had home made cherry cheesecake as my birthday cake. Brandon had worked on this for hours the night before.
We didn't have 35 candles so he just put three candles on one side and 5 on the other.
The cheesecake was delicious! Brandon had also bought ice cream because he was pretty certain the kids wouldn't like the cake. He was right.
Here's Derrick posing with me. See his shirt? He wore it because he was anticipating out movie night movie - Captain Underpants. Yes, that's what we watched on my birthday. Derrick had seen it with Miss Annie over the summer, but the other kids hadn't wanted to watch it until they saw a preview for it before another movie. Then they were really excited. So we checked it out from the library. I ended up falling asleep for most of the movie, but the kids all loved it.
The night wasn't very cold and so Brandon and I ended up sleeping with our bedroom window open. It was so relaxing to feel the cool air on me all night. Having a relaxing birthday ended up being one of the best gifts of all.
Saturday was a really laid back day too. We cleaned the house and then just hung around. Here are Charlotte and Lydia working on their valentines day boxes. They love to do craft projects on the living room floor.
A local berry farm put a post on Facebook saying they would be teaching people how to prune raspberry bushes. It was a little Tom Sawyer-y in that they made it sound like a great opportunty in exchange for free labor. But honestly it was something that I was super interested in. I want to grow raspberries this year so I was excited about learning some tips. So I went out to the farm and had a two hour hands on lesson. I learned a lot. And I feel a lot more confident in how to grow my own berries.Saturday night was another night where we didn't quite know what to do with ourselves. The 4th Harry Potter movie hadn't come in at the library yet so we couldn't watch that nor could we start reading the 5th book. And we didn't feel like watching another movie (which is kind of amazing since we usually LOVE watching movies.) Instead I grabbed a puzzle and we started working on that. Charlotte and Lydia helped a lot and we got pretty far before bed time
In the morning we worked on the puzzle some more and finished it before leaving for church. It had been really fun to do.
Here we are celebrating our victory.
After church Lydia wanted to make cookies. She'd put her roller skates on earlier and she didn't take them off. She made the cookies with her skates on. She skated all over the kitchen to grab different ingredients and things she needed.
I had my first class for the start your own small business class. It was MUCH better than the initial meeting had been. It was two hours long and we went over so many good things. I'm really enjoying it.
There was just one small thing I didn't like - we had to do a paperclip challenge. And I really didn't want to do it. I had some pretty strong feelings that worked their way into a blog post about how the Paperclip Challenge has a lot of Survivorship Bias built into it. I probably spent more time writing that post than anyone else spent trading their paperclip, but I had fun writing that post and got 50 page views and counting so I count that as a success.
On Monday after dinner we went to Winco and bought our reward for finishing out scripture reading chart for the last four weeks. Everyone got to pick out their own scoop of candy. Then we came home and sat around the table and traded candy with each other. We had a great time doing that.
Every day when I pick Veronica up from school she'll run to the car and then run right into the hood. She does it on purpose and thinks it is so funny. So I took a picture of her doing it one day.
She loves doing it.
We were in the car a lot on Tuesday. I took the kids to school in the morning and picked Veronica up before lunch. We came home, but later ran to Smiths to pick up almond bark to make chocolate covered pretzels. We came home and made a pan of pretzels and then later went in the car again to drop off treats to my ministering sisters. (My companion, Mary, took care of scheduling and most of the baking so I really can't take much credit.) Then we picked up Derrick from school. A few hours after the kids got home from school I took Charlotte and Lydia to the Girls Activity for church and an hour later I picked them up again. I was feeling like quite the soccer mom.
At one point I glanced down and saw Antler napping in the cradle and I felt like she was living her best life.
Brandon was home for dinner, but later he went to the college for a free lecture on how scientists detect gravity waves from blackholes. He really liked it. I'm not sure if he wants me to say anything about this, but he's been writing a science fiction novel for the past few months. It's been a good hobby that is cheap and doesn't involve getting cold. He wants it to be as fact based as possible so he's had fun researching different things. When I read about this lecture I thought it sounded like something he'd enjoy. I was right.
I stayed up making chocolate covered pretzels. They turned out really cute.
I love these things so much.
I liked these tri-color ones.
The girls have been playing with their horses a lot. On good weather days they'll head right out to the backyard and play as soon as they get home from school.
Brandon had his adventure on Wednesday night so he didn't come home. But I actually made dinner for the kids this week. They were really good about taking baths and settling down. After the kids were in bed I went next door and talked to my neighbor Diantha for a little bit.
My boss was out of town on Thursday so I didn't go into work. I spent the morning writing. (And I actually got a lot done instead of finding lots of things to do to avoid writing.)
When I picked Veronica up from school we went inside the school and had lunch with Derrick. He's been having a tough time lately and so I wanted to observe him. Veronica was super mad that she didn't get Mac'n'Cheese like she usually does, but she was happier when she realized she got to eat the same lunch as Derrick.
After we left the school I told Veronica that we were going to get ready for our Valentines Day party today instead of waiting until Valentines that the next day. So we went to the dollar store and picked up balloons that we'd pre-ordered on Tuesday. When I'd ordered the balloons on wednesday the staff had acted like I was crazy to order the balloons ahead of time. They had to pull the order forms out of a drawer. But when I picked up the balloons the lady who helped me said that it was a good thing I'd ordered them. All the animal shaped balloons were already gone and she'd had to hide ours to keep other people from getting them.
When we got home we set up a table and decorated it like we always do. I'd been buying little things here and there for a month. A few weeks earlier I'd found the stuffed dalmatians for $6 at Walmart. That was an amazing deal for plushes and the kids had really been into the 101 Dalmatian movies so I splurged and bought one for each kid.
And of course we had fun food. In addition to the pretzels we had rice crispy treats, and some candy.
Veronica had a fun time setting everything out. This is the last year she'll be home while the other kids are at school. I'm kind of sad when I think that she wont be home to help me set up for the party next year. I might just have to check her out early next year so we can continue our tradition.
Derrick gets out of school 10 minutes earlier than the girls. Usually he walks home super slow and there are even days the girls catch up to us while we are still walking home. Well, this day I said, "Derrick, I have a surprise for you at home." And he was off like a rocket. He even held my hand and made me run with him the last leg of the way home. He was so excited to walk inside and see all the fun things waiting for him.
His love language is gifts so he loves this kind of stuff.
I've given him a frog balloon every year for 4 years. He'd been talking about getting one for a few weeks leading up to Valentine's Day. I was happy to keep the tradition going.
Charlotte and Lydia came home and were so excited about the party too. Here's Charlotte running toward the table.My mom had sent a letter to Lydia to reply to a letter she'd sent. We had the letter on the table too and Lydia was trying to decide if she should grab the letter or a stuffed dog. The letter won.
Here are all the kids with their dogs. The girls named theirs Spotty, Lucky, and Oddball. Derrick named his Arnold. (I'm not sure where Arnold came from. Maybe the Magic School Bus show?)
The kids grabbed treats and settled into spots to eat and play. They each had their dog and their balloon. Derrick had the frog balloon, Veronica had a white dog balloon, Charlotte had the fox, and Lydia had the hedgehog.
The weather was super nice outside so everyone moved out side and played with their dogs out there for a while. Derrick took his balloon outside and let it go - even though I'd told him not to about 10 times. (Sigh)
We had homemade chili for dinner to counter act all the sugar. After dinner I decided I needed a break from everyone so I drove over to the Canyon Edge and went for a walk on the trail there. The Snake River looked so pretty in the sunset light.
And here's the bridge.
More of the river.
The 4th Harry Potter movie had finally come in at the library so I went there to pick it up. I was hoping to get the 5th book too, but all four copies were checked out. So I placed a hold on that so we can get a copy when it comes in. (We own all the books except 4 and 5 so this won't be a problem going forward.)
On Friday I dropped all the kids off and went to work for a little bit. When I picked up Veronica after school she was full of stories about how fun the day had been. She showed me every valentine she got and told me exactly who gave it to her.
I was super close to finishing a post about Bruneau Dunes State Park so I worked on that until it was time to go back to the school. I got it published just a few minutes before we had to leave. (I would have been done sooner, but I got distracted and booked a campsite at the state park while I was supposed to be researching some facts on the website - these are the hazards of travel writing.)
I was excited to help in Charlotte's class. Her teacher asked me to bring a game or two. As I started to think about what I could bring I got a message from Lydia's teacher. Her class party was at the exact same time and I'd signed up to be a helper. At first I thought I'd just have to tell Lydia's teacher that I was double booked. They had other parents signed up in her class so I knew it wouldn't be that big of a problem for that class. But then I realized I should just ask Brandon to help. He was able to take a half day off work to come help out.
He went to Lydia's class and helped with the twister game that the other parents brought. I went to Charlotte's class. We played Don't Eat Pete with a board that my sister Lindsey e-mailed me. That's a game that my Aunt Vera taught us years ago. Lindsey says she takes it to her kids' classes every year and the kids are always really excited to play it. We also played a game where we shot q-tips out of straws and tried to hit a target. Charlotte had played that in kindergarten and had asked to do that.
Veronica was with me in Charlotte's class and she had fun playing all the games with the "big" kids. (She was as tall as half of the third graders.)
After the parties were over we met up with Derrick outside. He'd had a great day and had been really well behaved. The twins came out and we all went to the car. This is what Valentines Day looks like with elementary aged kids.
Then we drove to Little Ceasers and picked up three pizzas that I'd pre-ordered. When we got back home Brandon had set out more treats on the table. He'd made brownies to take to work and there were left overs for us. He also had Valentine's Day colored M&Ms.
We had a package by our door. It was the glasses I'd ordered from zennioptical last month. I was so excited to wear my new glasses.
We opened up the pizzas and ate those really fast.
Then we went downstairs and watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. (Derrick says it Gobleck) That movie is almost an improvement on the book. The story is definitely much tighter and the multitude of side characters is paired down quite a bit. But the pacing feels off in some places. Veronica was scared at the end and was very concerned about Harry for the whole graveyard scene, but afterward she didn't seem affected by it.
When the movie was over we watched the special features. That was really fun. The kids are just barely starting to understand special effects so it was fun for them to see how some things are done.
After we put the kids to bed Brandon and I tested out our downstairs fireplace for the first time. There is definitely some sort of venting problem and after a while our whole downstairs was full of smoke. But at least we know now.
This was the first year we bought chocolates for each other. That was fun.
Saturday was another laid back day. I slept in and Brandon and the kids cleaned the house. At noon I had my Autism Support Group. That went really well. When that was over I met Brandon and the kids at the animal shelter.
A month ago Brandon told the kids that if they kept the house clean for a month then we would get a dog. Our house wasn't spotless during the last month, but the kids did clean up whenever we asked so we figured they'd earned the dog.
I follow the animal shelter on Facebook and saw that they were so full they were doing a half off special for Valentine's Day. That was good news.
Anyway, Brandon and the kids had narrowed it down to two dogs. One had a lot of applications for it already, but we were told the other one didn't have any other applications. That dog behaved well for us and didn't bark AT ALL (My main criteria) so we were all set on getting her. But then the office lady discovered that there were in fact applications on that dog. She was going to have to call them first and see if they were still interested. So we couldn't get the dog that day.
Veronica was so sad when we had to leave without a dog.
Later Brandon was like, "Well no wonder they are full, they don't have anyone managing their applications!"
The animal shelter referred us over to Petco where another rescue place was having an adoption event. That ended up not working out either. (And Veronica cried again.)
So we are still looking for a dog.
Overall I have not been impressed by the process. So far everyone has seemed super disorganized. Sure they love pets, but they don't seem to have a clue how to handle paperwork. Also everyone says you should really think through the decision to get a dog, but then they expect you to decide in a stinky, crowded, loud room with dogs barking everywhere.
Ugh.
Hopefully the dog we liked at the animal shelter ends up working out for us. She was really cute and well behaved. Brandon will call them when they open again on Tuesday and see what the situation is.
Anyway, we came home, had dinner and then helped the kids take baths. When everyone was in bed Brandon and I watched the movie RED. We've wanted to watch that for a while and we finally got the chance. It was really funny.
Today we had a good day at church. After church Brandon played a lot with the kids while I took a nap. In the evening I had my business class. It was good again. It's really forcing me to think about what I want to do with my writing career.
The kids are out of school the next two days so we are looking forward to some down time.
Well I think that gets us caught up.
As always thanks for reading.
















































No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?