I'm trying to think of something witty or profound to say to start this post. But honestly I've got nothing.
We've lived here in Twin Falls for three weeks. The house feels like home, but we are still working on establishing a routine for daily life. The last three weeks have felt a little directionless and chaotic. But they've also felt full of newness and possibilities.
Let's back up and do a pretty fast recap.
Veronica lost her other front tooth on one of the first days we were in the house. She was pretty excited.
Derrick's therapist, Miss Christy, gave the kids art kits as goodbye presents. Veronica had fun with her's one day after school. She and I are still working on figuring out what we do when she is home after Kindergarten.
Lydia drew this picture all by herself which prompted me to consider finding her some advanced art classes. I'm blown away by her talent.
The biggest thing I accomplished during the first few days in Twin Falls was to get a Doctors appointment for Derrick so we could get a new prescription for pullups to wear at night. We went to the doctor on Thursday after school and Derrick did such a good job talking to the doctor. The office is really close to our house which is basically the only research I ever do when it comes to finding a pediatrician. So I'm happy.
On our way home we stopped at Redbox so I could pick up Avengers Endgame. Brandon and I watched last night and enjoyed it. But wow, that movie has a lot of characters.
Well we made it through the week without any big emotional outbursts so the reunion was a go. All of Brandon's siblings would be there so we were all looking forward to some family time. Plus it was held at a campground and my family is always down for a camping trip. On Friday when the kids were done with school we drove all the way from Twin Falls to Little Cottonwood Canyon in Salt Lake.
The first night there weren't many people there. It was us, Steve and Jacque, one of Jacque's brothers and his family, and one of Jacque's cousins. We had hotdogs for dinner and the kids roasted marshmallows.
The next day there wasn't much planned until the afternoon. We drove up the canyon to see if our National Park's pass would also give us access to the Albion Basin. It didn't, but we thought it was fun to see the Ski resorts on our way up there.
We found a rocky area and went for a little hike.
The plan was to use some of our rock climbing gear that Brandon had brought, but the kids were having fun free climbing the smaller rocks.
Here's Derrick.
Charlotte and Lydia.
Me
Brandon scouting out a good location.
And me and Veronica. Veronica was being her usual klutzy self, and was really struggling with the rocky terrain. So I gave her a piece of gum and had he sit by me while the other kids climbed around.
Well I probably should have kept a better eye on the other kids. Charlotte ended up gashing her knee on a pointy rock. And guess who didn't have their first aid kit with them? Seriously I carried that thing around ALL summer. But I didn't have it when I needed it.
Veronica had been wearing pajama pants over her shorts because she'd been cold so I used her pajamas to stop the bleeding in Charlotte's knee until we could get back to the first aid kit in the car. But that one was pretty low on supplies so we had to drive back to the campsite where Brandon had left his backpack with his first aid kit. Wow we were really unprepared. So that was the end of the rock climbing adventure.
Charlotte was pretty sad so when we got back to camp I took her with me down the canyon to the store. We got gas and then we went into the store to buy some extra things. I'd also hoped to find a Redbox so I could return the Avengers movie (we'd forgot to return it on our way out of Twin on Friday.) But there wasn't a Redbox at the store. Before we drove off to find one, Charlotte looked at the Redbox case and asked, "Is it a see through disk?" And I realized we didn't even have the disk in the case. It was still in my laptop at home." So never mind on that.
When we got back to camp Derrick wanted me to go with him down to the river.
I sat with him while he threw rocks into the water for a long time.
He was so content.
He knew his way around the river pretty well. Almost too well. He led me back to camp via a different trail than we'd taken down. But he got us right back to camp. Brandon and the kids had come to this campsite for the family reunion two years ago. I'd had to work in Yellowstone so I hadn't come. Brandon said he'd let Derrick wander a lot during that visit and I have my suspicions that some of those wanderings took Derrick further than Brandon realized.
Now it was time to hang out with Veronica. Charlotte and Lydia were playing with their cousin Oakley who had arrived by this point. They were kind of excluding Veronica. So I took Veronica and Derrick over to the sandy volley ball court and they had fun playing in the sand. I was reading John McCain's memoirs, "Faith of My Father's" so I read that while she played. The book was taking a long time to get interesting so I ended up laying down on the picnic blanket and taking a nap.
Occasionally the kids came over to show me the face painting that Melanie was doing. Here's Charlotte's.
Lydia's.
A picture I have no memory of taking of Derrick, (I think Veronica was playing with my phone when I took a nap.)
Veronica chose Wonderwoman. I love her little toothless grin.
And Lydia again. She took this picture while I was fast asleep. I vaugly remember her coming over and saying, "Mom, look at my turtle!" Before I fell back asleep. Obviously I was a little drained from the move and the first week of school.
Later I did get up and talk with Brandon's family. But then I opened my book again, and John McCain got shot down over Vietnam, and the narrative FINALLY picked up. I was pretty engrossed by the book after that. Veronica took this picture of herself while I was reading.
We had a big potluck dinner which was really yummy.
Melanie had painted this "tattoo" for Brandon.
It's that funny.
They always do an auction to raise money for the reunion. Kara and I ended up buying the same bags.
As it got dark everyone got ready for the glowstick parade. Here's Charlotte.
And Lydia.
Derrick was pretty tired so he wasn't interested in the glowsticks. He and I sat by the fire. He took this picture.
Veronica had fun decorating her puppy.
Here's Veronica's full ensemble.As it got darker everyone looked cooler and cooler.
It was fun to look at everyone.
Brandon was sporting a top hat and bow tie.
Everyone went on a parade of sorts. Then they came back and we put the kids to bed. I was going to stay up and talk with everyone, but I was pretty tired. So I went to bed with the kids.
In the morning we had breakfast with everyone and then cleaned up. I was very antsy to get going because I was ready to get back to work on the house. Plus I wanted the kids to have a chance to decompress from the trip before going to school on Monday. So I cleaned up our stuff while Brandon chitchatted and the kids played.
We drove home. While we drove the kids watched Mountain of the Lord which is about how the pioneers built the Salt Lake Temple. This was espeically fitting since Little Cottonwood Canyon is where the granite for the Temple came from. We made it home with plenty of time to have a relaxing afternoon at home.
The next week was the last week of August, by I was already thinking it was September. The reunion had been our last event for the summer.
I spent most of the week finishing unpacking. My favorite part was when I started to put up pictures.
On Monday night Brandon took Derrick fishing. They were gone for a long time and we didn't wait to have dinner with them. After dinner the girls helped me clean up without complaining AT ALL. I was so impressed. They just went right to work.A big part of that is thanks to our latest dishes chart. We had to make a new one because our last one had jobs like Load the dishwasher. This house doesn't have a dishwasher so we needed some new jobs. But the kids haven't been phased at all. It took 2 years of consistency to get us to this point, but it was totally worth it.
On Tuesday Brandon and Derrick went to work on something Derrick has wanted for a long time. They put together a plywood table for a model train set.
Meanwhile the girls were enjoying the backyard.
Derrick likes Brandon's powertools, but he's still a little sensitive to their sounds.
We've had this model train set for about a year. One of Brandon's professors gave it to us when he found out Derrick loved trains. The professor had taken down his layout when he moved and he had no plans to put it back up in his new house. So he was very kind and passed on his stuff to us. We told Derrick we'd get the set out when we had a new house so he has been anxiously waiting. Ever since we moved in he's wanted to get the trains out. So I told Brandon it better happen sooner rather than later.
The girls continued to have fun in the back yard.
I thought Derrick and Brandon would just lay out the track, but Brandon actually nailed it down. Derrick was so happy.
They even got the train to run on the track.
The next day Derrick found his old train hat and exclaimed, "I'm the train man."
I made a bag that converts into a small rug to hold the legos so the girls have had fun playing with those.
On Wednesday we bought our first ever lawn mower. Brandon taught the kids how to mow the lawn and between the 4 of them they mowed the front and back yards. Brandon said he barely had to do anything other than supervise.
The bishopbric stopped by to welcome us into the ward. They'd been trying to come by for a while, but our schedules hadn't meshed. I'm so glad they came. They told us they hoped we felt welcome and we let them know that everyone had done such a good job of welcoming us into the ward.On Friday we got a dog - sort of.
My friend Sarah in Idaho Falls was going to Sun Valley for Labor Day weekend. She needed somewhere for her dog Lemon to go while they were gone. She asked us if we'd watch Lemon. She paid us, but honestly we might have done it for free because Lemon happens to be one of my favorite dogs.
We had a great time with Lemon and she was a great practice dog for us. She is super well behaved. We don't have a fence between our back and front yards and I thought that would be a problem, but no. Lemon just stayed close to us and never ran away. (I had no idea dogs could be that well behaved, but I grew up around a lot of ghetto dogs.) I'd also been a little worried about if a dog get in my way in our small kitchen, but she wasn't a problem in there either.
Lemon threw up on Sunday and I was probably more worried about her than I was when my kids have been sick. I was like a new mom Googling things to make sure Lemon wasn't somehow going to die. Brandon, who grew up around dogs, kept assuring me that Lemon would be fine. And she was.
Brandon said he couldn't believe how much I liked Lemon. Every time I petted the dog or talked to her Brandon looked at me like, "who are you?" He was very happy though because he's wanted me to want a dog for a long time. We even let her sleep in our bed on Sunday night.
On Monday we didn't have anything planned for Labor Day (We play so hard over the summer that we are always exhausted by Labor Day.) I took the kids and Lemon on a bike ride/walk to the school. Derrick was riding his bike around very fast and looked like a professional racer with his yellow shirt.Even though she'd broken her collar bone in a bike accident at the beginning of the summer, Veronica wasn't afraid to ride her bike. She still had training wheels, but she was getting better and better at riding.
Back at home Lydia showed me the lego creation she's been working on. It's a house.
That opens up! I was so impressed.
Here's one of the rooms.
We have a bunch of rocks in a flower garden in front of our house. Jacque is going to bring up a lot of flowers that she's dividing and I want to get those rocks moved before she comes. So we worked on moving some of the rocks. Lemon laid on the rocks and basically blended in.
Sarah came to pick up Lemon a little later. We were all sad to see her go. I joked that we'd just keep Lemon and Sarah could get another dog.
I've been on the fence about whether or not I want to work this year. There are a lot of factors to consider. I want to stay home with my kids, but I also really like working. I want to earn money, but I don't want to have to stress about childcare when the kids are out of school. It's a really delicate balance.
I considered going back to school to beef up my resume for when the kids are older. I looked into getting a book keeping certificate through the Pathways program or the College of Southern Idaho. But when I looked at the classes I'd have to take my main thought was "I've already taken half these classes." And honestly the thought of going back to school made me want to throw up.
So I decided to start applying for jobs just to see what would happen. If I got called for interviews then it meant my skills were up to par. If I didn't get interviews then maybe I'd think some more about going back to school.
One place I applied was with the county. I had to take a skills test for the job. One of the skills was a 10 key test. I had 15 minutes to complete several columns of numbers. I finished the first screen in less than 4 minutes. I thought I would have another screen of numbers pop up for me to do, but nope, that was the whole test. I have some pretty awesome 10 key skills.
I also had to do a proof reading test. As you can tell, my proof reading skills aren't as good. Especially when it came to the spelling questions. The test would have a sentence and I was supposed to find all the errors and then fill in a multiple choice answer with how many errors I found. I knew I was in trouble when I could only find one error, but the lowest option on the multiple choice list was four.
So I'm considering my scores on all the tests as a wash.
On Monday night I saw an open job for a secretary position at the middle school near our house. Working for the school district is my ultimate dream because I would have the same days off as the kids. So I applied for the job that night. It actually wasn't that hard because this school district uses the same system as the Pocatello/Chubbuck school district. I'd applied for some jobs there so all I had to do was import the info from that system and then add my Treasurer's Office stuff. I submitted the application and didn't think much about it.
On Tuesday I was minding my own business when I got a call from the Twin Falls School District. My first thought was, "oh no what did Derrick do?' But the call was actually from Human Resources. They asked me if I could interview for the secretary job that afternoon! Of course I said yes.
I was confident before the interview, but during the interview I had a hard time reading the reactions of the people that were interviewing me. I had no idea what they thought of my answers. I ended up feeling like I'd bombed. I was pretty sad at first, but I decided to be nice to myself. It was my first interview in almost two years, I'd done it with just a few hours notice, and I was also coming down with a cold. So it's okay if I bombed it. There will be other jobs.
The interview did help me with one thing though. I realized I needed to get some childcare in place in case I did get the job. On Wednesday I called the Boys and Girls Club and learned that they don't have a wait list for Kindergartners. They have a bus that would pick up Veronica from school. So that would take care of her. I also e-mailed Derrick's Medicaid case worker and asked her to adjust his therapy budget so we could do more therapy hours during the school year. And then I talked to his therapy company about possibly adding more hours so he can be with someone after school until I get off work. I would be home a little after the kids get out of school and so I was comfortable letting Charlotte and Lydia be home alone during that time. I was happy to have that all worked out in case I got the job.
Wednesday ended up being a rough day. I was still upset about how I'd done on the interview. And my cold was getting worse. Plus I was having some girl problems. I muddled through most of the day, but by the afternoon I was falling apart. Brandon told me it was just fine if I went to bed and stayed there the rest of the day. So I got in my pajamas and just wallowed in self pity for a few hours. After Brandon put the kids to bed he came in with a sure fire way to get me feeling better - An Action Movie. He picked out the first Mission Impossible movie and we watched that. When it was over I felt much better and slept really well that night.
On Thursday we had a girl from Veronica's class come over after school. Her parents are working on finding childcare for her and I offered to watch her while they get that sorted out. (I also told them that I was casually looking for a job so I wasn't a good long term plan.) She's an only child and Veronica is the youngest so they had some learning to do about how to play together, but over all it was fun to have her over.
That evening Derrick and I went to the library to get him a library card. I'd already taken Lydia on another day and this time it was Derrick's turn. He did such a good job answering all the librarians questions. He even spelled out our last name. The only thing he didn't know was his birthday.
When we got home from the library I saw Charlotte riding Veronica's bike. Then I realized it was Veronica and the bike didn't have training wheels! She was riding on her own. She'd learned how to ride without training wheels the same way Derrick had. The training wheels gradually bent up and so she was balancing on just the bike wheels as she rode. For the past few days Brandon and I had been trying to tell her that she was basically riding without training wheels, and to let Brandon take them off. But Veronica was really scared to have them off. I couldn't blame her, she had broken her collar bone while riding her bike. She wanted as much stability as she could get. Well on Thursday night she finally realized it was time. Brandon said she jumped right on the bike and was off again without any trouble.
Charlotte and Lydia made a helmet for Antler and took her for rides in Lydia 's basket.
Friday was an interesting morning. Charlotte and Lydia wanted to ride their bikes to school. Derrick and Veronica did too, but we felt it was too much to have four bike riders so we said it would just be Charlotte and Lydia on bikes this time and then we could let all four kids ride next week. Well Veronica was fine with that, but Derrick was MAD!
He screamed and yelled about it all the way to school. When he got to school he was still mad. Brandon had gone ahead with Charlotte and Lydia and Derrick yelled at Brandon when he saw him. This was new territory for me. Derrick has been mad before school before, but I always just put him on the bus and then sent an e-mail to his teacher. A para professional always met him at the bus so I always knew that he had an adult with him no matter what his mood was. I didn't know what to do about it when I was dropping him off.
I did know that I didn't feel comfortable sending him into the school angry. So I went with him to make sure he was safe around the other kids. This would have been fine except I'd barely gotten dressed. I hadn't brushed my teeth and I wasn't wearing any make up. So there I was sitting in his classroom trying to look somewhat put together as I tried to calm Derrick down. After a few minutes his para helped me guide him out to the hall and she took him on a walk to calm him down. Whew.
Aside from that Derrick actually had a fabulous week at school. The first two weeks had been a little rough as he adjusted to everything, but things seem to be stabilizing. They have an aid for him during half the day and she is really helping him focus on his school work. I still miss our last school and all the support he had in place there, but this school is stepping up and doing a good job too.
On Friday night we watched Arthur Christmas for movie night. Derrick picked it out at the library. He calls it Otter Christmas. We haven't watched that movie since Alabama so we all had fun watching it again.
Saturday was a near perfect day. We spent the morning cleaning the house and doing yard work. Charlotte mowed the front yard all by herself and then I did the back yard. (Fun fact: somehow I have avoided mowing a lawn for 34 years. So this was my first time ever doing that.) I moved rocks and acted like it was a super fun thing to do so for a while all the kids were happily helping move rocks too.
Then after lunch we drove over to Niagara Spring so the kids could go fishing there.
The water is super clear and we could see fish easily.
I wasn't too into fishing so I was reading my latest book, "Grateful American" by Gary Sinise. All I knew about him when I picked up the book was that he'd played Lieutenant Dan in Forest Gump and Ken Mattingly in Apollo 13. His career is so much more than that and I have loved reading his book. I read a lot of memoirs and his is somewhere in the top 10 of ones I've read.
It's hard to see in this picture, but Niagara spring was on the other side of those trees. We could hear the water rushing the whole time.
Brandon caught a fish and here are all the kids celebrating.
Here's Lydia posing with Brandon's fish.
Veronica and I went for a walk over to the spring.
We also went to the spill way. Some of the water goes to a fish hatchery, and the rest of the water goes to the pond where we were fishing.
When we finished fishing we came home and had dinner. All the kids took much needed baths and then went to bed.
Brandon and I stayed up talking in the garage while he organized some things. He has it nearly the way he wants it. He's so excited to have a workshop.
And that gets us caught up to today. We went to church and had a such a good time. Our ward is so welcoming. Last week was our first official week there and Brandon turned to me and said, "I already feel like we've been in this ward forever."
And actually that's how we feel about the house and Twin Falls in general. We feel like we've been here forever. And I plan to stay for a long time.






































































No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?