Ha I didn't realize that I published this post after I uploaded the pictures last week. So Thank You to the 23 of you who already viewed this post. I'm glad you can find my blog without a facebook link.
I'll fill in the words so you can get the story behind the pictures.
I like to think of the Christmas Season as a long distance race. You have to plan things out so that you can make it to Christmas Day with enough energy and cheer to enjoy the day. Some years I don't run the race right and I'm just DONE by December 25th. This year was the opposite. I ran the race so well that I felt like I coasted to finish line. It was pretty awesome.
Look at our nice and cozy house. We loved having the tree up all month long.
One reason actual Christmas was so stress-free was because I took care of finishing up the stressfull stuff the weekend before. We did newsletters, neighbor gifts, and wrapped presents between December 15th and 17th. Thanks to that I literally had NOTHING to do on Saturday December 23. Do you know that last time I had nothing planned for a Saturday?And I have to give lots of praise to Brandon. As usual he took my ideas and helped make them a reality. He helped edit, print, address, and stuff over 60 Christmas Newsletters. He helped make, organize and deliver 30 Christmas goodie bags for neighbors and friends. And he carefully helped me wrap presents for the kids.
One reason Brandon was able to be so helpful was because he was done with the school semester on December 15th. He took his last final on the 14th (and passed). His class had a breakfast on the morning of the 15th and they were done by 9:00. Brandon came by my office and dropped off a plate of home-made cinnamon rolls. And consequently charmed all my co-workers.
His visit reminded my boss that I hadn't been sworn in as a Deputy yet. So she had me invite Brandon back on Monday morning so he could watch me get sworn in. It's official, I'm a Deputy Treasurer.
Work was CRAZY the week before Christmas. Property Taxes were due on December 20th so we had lines out the door of people coming to pay their taxes. I was answering phones all day long and still the phones were ringing off the hook. My co-workers had warned me about how draining work would be. And that's one reason I'd been so proactive about Christmas stuff. Brandon and I had done most of our Christmas shopping in November so it was really nice not to worry about that after work.
I get Tuesdays off of work which was great because that happened to be the day of Charlotte and Lydia's Christmas program at school. Brandon was out of school so he came too. And Veronica doesn't go to pre-school on Tuesdays so the three of us hung out together in the morning and then went to the program.
They sang about 5 songs. Including 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." I told Lydia they should have her stand in the front for that song since she is missing FOUR front teeth.
The program was at the end of the day so we checked Chartlotte and Lydia and Derrick out early.
Wednesday was the day taxes were due. And like I said it was such a busy day. I thought the craziness would spill over onto Thursday, but Thursday was actually really quite. The phone hardly rang and there were only a few people that came into the office. I was finally able to get things done without being interrupted every 30 seconds. It's amazing how much more productive I could be without the phone ringing. And I felt like I finally got to talk to my co-workers again for the first time in days.
Charlotte and Lydia were out of school on Thursday, but Derrick and Veronica still had daycare. Even though Brandon was home we wanted Derrick and Veronica to finish up the week at the learning center. There were three reasons for this. 1. We'd paid for those days. 2. The kids sometimes fight when they are all at home so it's nice to have a reason to have some of them gone. and 3. They usually do fun things in the days before holidays. The day before Thanksgiving the kids had all gone to a movie at the ISU movie theater.
When I got home from work Derrick couldn't stop talking about what he'd done at the learning center. His class had gone sledding! Derrick told me all about going up and down the snowy hills. He just kept talking and talking and talking. Usually he doesn't tell me anything about his day so I just sat in amazement as I listened to his story. He kept telling me that he wanted a sled and even had me tell him how to spell SLED so he could write it on a paper. I told him that we would buy a sled after Christmas if Santa didn't bring us one. (And I was so happy that I'd secretly bought a sled 5 weeks earlier and it was hidden in the garage.)
Another thing happened that made me happy that we've been sending Veronica to the Learning Center this year. One reason I wanted her in pre-school was so she could make friends. I'd been a little worried about how shy, and stand offish she could be around other children. I was worried that she'd picked up a few too many of Derrick's autistic tendencies. Well that night at dinner Veronica announced out of nowhere, "Indiana May is my best friend." Yes, school has been very good for our kids this year.
Work on Friday was also light. We were working on digging out of the piles of mail that had arrived in the last few days. We were scheduled to close at 3:00 that afternoon and so at 3:05 I was free for the weekend. My co-workers were all talking about how they still had so much shopping and wrapping to do. I just kept my mouth shut about how mine was all done.
Instead of rushing out to the store I hurried home where we were going to start our Christmas Under the Tree night. This is a tradition from Brandon's family. On the Friday night before Christmas we hang out, eat treats, talk about the true meaning of Christmas, and then sleep under the tree.
The night started out with giving the kids their Christmas Jammies. I ordered these from the Childrens Place. Lydia had helped me pick out everyone's color. I'd washed them all ahead of time (because Derrick has had some allergic reactions to Christmas Jammies in the past) and Derrick saw them in the wash. He'd been asking to wear them every day. So he was very happy to finally get to wear them
We set out a bunch of treats that our neighbors had given us and that Brandon had bought at the store.
The kids set up a little table for themselves.
Brandon read them "The Night Before Christmas" while they ate.
I don't really know what this was about, but Lydia wanted me to take a picture of Rose.
Later we read the Christmas Story in the bible and the kids set up the nativity scene as we read it.
We had gormet popcorn from one of our neighbors, but my kids' favorite popcorn was the day old popcorn from popcorn Thursday at work. They loved it!
Every year Brandon's mom hand paints and ornament for each of us. This year we all got a cute little snowman. She'd mailed them up to us earlier so we were able to give them to the kids and hang them on the tree.
I was pretty tired so soon I laid down on the floor and took a nap. Derrick lay down next to me and was the first asleep. The girls took a little longer, but finally they all settled down. Charlotte wanted to sleep by the heater vent. She told Brandon, "I'm as warm as toast!"
I woke up after a little while and moved onto my bed. (I'm not sleeping on the floor when I have a pillow top mattress a few feet away.) Brandon and I weren't sleepy so he drew on his computer while I read the Biography of Jim Hensen by Brian Jay Jones.
I was on a chapter talking about the Dark Crystal in 1982 and I thought I'd just read a little bit, but I ended up staying up until 12:30 and reading about the next decade all the way to his death in 1992. Those final chapters were surprisingly interesting. I mean, I knew he died, but I didn't know what he died of. And he was right in the middle of a deal with Disney at the time of his death. I was so curious to find out the outcome of that. I highly recommend that book.
On Saturday the kids slept in. (Brandon said his Christmas Present was that the kids finally learned how to sleep in and then leave us alone after they woke up.)
After breakfast I walked into the living room and found Veronica putting on her snowsuit all by herself. She'd also put on her socks and had found her gloves. She told me she was going outside to play in the snow. It had been snowing all night so there was lots of new snow outside. I was so happy that I hadn't had to help her get dressed that I was perfectly willing to let her go out in the back yard. She was soon joined by the rest of the kids. I took this picture to archive the fact that we have now reached the stage where the kids can go play in the snow without it being a lot of work for me.
They didn't stay outside for long though. There was a strong, cold breeze blowing and it wasn't really fun outside.
It's okay they came in since we had a babysitter coming any minute. Earlier in the week I'd looked at the calendar and realized that I hadn't planned anything for Saturday. I told Brandon that I really wanted to see The Last Jedi. There were two reasons for this. 1. I like Star Wars. and 2. I knew the guys on my two favorite podcasts would talk about the movie soon and I wanted to be in the know before listening. So I found us a babysitter and Brandon ordered the tickets online for a matinee showing on Saturday. We figured this was a good way to celebrate Brandon making it through his first semester and me making it through Tax season.
The movie turned out to be . . . . I don't know . . . decent . . . I guess. Overall I liked it, but I felt a little disappointed. It reminded me of the first time I saw A New Hope.
For most people A New Hope was their first Star Wars movie. But I actually saw Return of the Jedi first. This was back when I was four years old. We lived in a duplex and my Aunt Lisa lived next door. I was over at her house and she put on the movie for me to see. It was the COOLEST movie I'd ever seen.
Later I watched Return of the Jedi with my dad and he explained to me some of the back story. (Like how Han got into that carbonite in the first place.) And eventually we watched/recorded Empire Strikes Back off of TV. My dad even had a copy of the novelization of Empire and read that to me.
For some reason we had a hard time getting a copy of A New Hope. I was always so curious what happened in that first movie. I literally had dreams about that movie.
Finally when I was 8 years old we tracked down a copy of the movie. I was so excited to see the movie. And overall I like it. But after all my wondering, imagining, and dreaming the actual movie seemed a little flat. I remember thinking, "That's it?"
And that's how The Last Jedi felt. I'm not a rabid fan by any means, but I have spent a fair amount of time wondering what would happen in this movie. I've read theories about who Ray's parents are and who Snoke really is. I've read fan theories and watched frame by frame breakdowns of the trailers.
And then I watched the actual movie and thought "That's it?" I was hoping for another emotional powerhouse like Rogue One. And instead we got . . . whatever that was.
I do have to say that I liked how many women roles there were in the movie.
Anyway, enough about The Last Jedi. Even if the movie was a little flat I was happy to be on a date with Brandon. And the movie did transport us to another time and place. We walked out of the theatre and were like, "It's Christmas time? When did that happen?"
We went home, took the baby sitter home, and then realized that we had literally nothing planned for the rest of the day. Brandon had to make rice crem for the Christmas Party the next night, but I had nothing. I didn't even have a book to read since I'd finished that the night before.
For some reason Derrick wanted to watch "Ships" which is what he calls Star Wars. He picked out Empire Strike Back. The kids have always been a little Luke-warm to StarWars. But I made Derrick watch it with me back in October and he liked it. Veronica and Charlotte watched the movie too. (Lydia sort of watched it while playing Temple Run on Brandon's phone.) When the movie ended everyone wanted to watch another one so we put in Return of the Jedi. I can't believe I had time to watch 3 Star Wars movies in one day.
I'm glad we hadn't planned much for the day. Brandon and I had kicked around the idea of going down to his parents house on Saturday night so we wouldn't have to do much driving on Christmas Eve, but we'd decided we'd rather just stay at our house that night so we wouldn't have to pack as much for Christmas Eve. That turned out to be a good idea since it snowed and snowed and snowed Saturday afternoon and evening. We woke up to something like 6 inches of snow on Sunday morning. I'm so glad that we planned ahead and we weren't trying to finish up shopping in that snow.
One reason we wanted to stay in Pocatello on Saturday night was so we could go to church in our ward on Sunday. We'd had our Christmas Program the Sunday before, but this week the kids were singing one song. So we hung around for that
Church was great. The kids sang their song really well. They sang Lulluby and Veronica was one of the loudest singers.
Church was only an hour so soon we were back home. We changed our clothes, had a quick lunch, and the packed up the car and started driving to Ogden. This is only the 3rd time we've left Idaho in the four months we've lived here. Isn't that crazy. And check this out. A few months ago we moved all the kids into booster seats. Buckling seat-belts is so much easier now. (and yes I know Veronica's seat belt isn't on her right. I made her fix it after I took this picture.)
Brandon was sporting a hip-Santa look
We got down to Odgen around 3:00. It was so fun to walk into the house and see the party preperations. Every year Brandon and his siblings go in on a present for their parents. It counts as the sibling gift and the parent gift. (And I love it because it's so easy.) This year Melanie really wanted to give her parents new couches for the family room. She scored a great deal. I was really excited to see the couches. They looked so good.
Brandon's grandpa is from Norwegian so we always do a Norwegian Christmas. Hi sMom sewed these outfits for her daughters and their daughters. I'm told me and my girls will have our own outfits next year.
As always there was lots of yummy food.
We had a little program that included Lydia singing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." She did a really great job. But she didn't get two front teeth. Instead Charlotte LOST a tooth on Christmas Day. (And then the tooth fairy didn't come for two nights and I told Charlotte that the tooth fairy was probably partying with Santa.)
We got out the chimes and all my kids were excited about those.
They Charlotte and Lydia especially did well with the chimes. Lydia even had the all important "10" chime that has to get played a lot. She didn't miss it any time.
Then it was time to hold hands and dance around the tree while singing Christmas Carols.
This is always so fun to do. This year Steve (who retired this month) had time to install a plug in the middle of the floor. So we didn't have to worry about stepping over an extension cord.
After dancing around the tree Steve and Jacque handed out gifts to each of their grand kids.
Veronica got a heart of Tafiti necklace just like the one Moana wears. It rock even glowed. She was so excited!
Derrick got a dinosaur and Lydia got an art kit. Charlotte got horses. Jacque does such a good job with these gifts.
We were a little worried about the weather so sooner than we would have preferred it was time to get the kids into jammies and head back on the road.
We drove through snow on our 2 1/2 hour drive back, but it was never a white out. We got home and put the sleeping kids to bed. Then Brandon and I (and Santa) set out the presents.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?