Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2016

10 reasons that life is going really well

I am incredibly excited about this next year.  I have a really good feeling about everything. I have lots of goals and plans for things that I want to accomplish. Actually the fact that I want to accomplish anything is a big deal in and of itself.  For the past several years I've just been trying to figure out how to get through the day/week/month/year with my sanity still intact.  But this year is different.  This year I feel like I actually can get BIG things done.

I feel like I'm coming alive again.  Like I'm remembering parts of my personality that got lost during the past 6 years.  

There are a lot of reasons for this awakening. Some have a bigger impact than others, but they are all important.  Here are some of the things that are happening.  

1. I'm not pregnant or nursing.  Growing and feeding tiny humans with your body is hard and draining.  I feel like I spent at least part of each of the past six years either pregnant or nursing.  And it took its toll.  I love my kids, and they were cute babies, but I'm so glad that they are more independent now. 

2.  My kids sleep through the night.  Sure a child or two will usually come into bed with Brandon and me during the night.  But they come to us and we have a King sized bed, so it's not that bad.  No longer do I have to fall asleep knowing that I'll be out of bed again in a few hours.  The kids wake up around 6:30 every day - but that's okay because I've had a good nights sleep.

3.  Brandon doesn't have any away from home training coming up in the next 6 - 9 months.  Flight school may be hard and time consuming, but at least I don't have to worry about Brandon being away from home  for the next little while. Just knowing that he's around to help with the house and the kids makes my life so much easier. 

4. Three of my kids are in school.  Derrick was officially admitted to the special needs pre-school program before Thanksgiving.  He could go to school all 5 days of the week, but we decided that since he's three we'll just sent him 3 days of the week.  I love the freedom that comes with only one kid at home in the morning.  Veronica and I are able to run lots of errands together that I never would dream of doing with all four kids.  We also can hang out with friends and I don't feel like I'm bringing  half the party.    

5.  I've lost all my pregnancy weight.  I'm so proud of this.  I've lost over 25 pounds since I started the full Take Shape for Life program at the end of October. (And I've lost over 45 lb since I decided to start losing weight)  I'm now weighing in just under 190 and I still can't believe it every time I get on the scale and see numbers like 188.  I didn't own a scale until last year so I have no idea the last time I was at this weight, but based on pictures and clothing sizes I'm pretty sure it was before I got pregnant with the twins.  

This picture was taken today.  I'm so proud of how I look.  (And I'm able to wear heals again, because I don't have to routinely lift little people anymore!)
Now I'm just working on losing all my desk job weight - because lets face it - I was gaining weight before the kids came in the picture.

In fact, I'm participating in another health challenge this month.  It starts on the 18th and it's only $20 to join.  Let me know if you want to participate too. These challenges are a great way to start learning the habits that will help you be healthier your whole life.  I did my first challenge last year, and it really helped me on my weight loss journey.  

6.  I have crazy amounts of energy.  I'd heard people say that they had more energy after they lost weight, but I didn't expect to have as much energy as I do right now.  I think the two weeks of relaxation over Christmas definitely helped with my current energy levels. I literally skip around my house these days.

7. I'm tackling tons of projects that I've put off.  I'm organizing the files I haven't touched since before we moved, I'm finally doing something with my 401k from the job I left 6 years ago, I'm looking into places where I'd like to submit writing stuff . . . heck I even found the motivation to clean my bathroom. A few months ago things like this made me feel tired every time I even thought about them, but now (with all my new energy) I'm feeling like I'm on top of even the little details in my life.

8. I'm watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix.  Last week I spent 2 evenings binge watching Gilmore Girls while sorting papers.  I still have a lot more organizing to do which is good because I still have a lot more episodes of Gilmore Girls.  I've watched most of the seasons before, but I'm having a lot of fun revisiting my friends in Star's Hollow.  Lorelai's bubbly personality is probably another explanation for all my energy lately.

9.  Things are looking good financially. After Christmas we received a bill for some dental work that our insurance didn't cover. It wasn't a very big bill, but it does throw a little wrench in my budget plans for this month.  I was feeling kind of stressed out about it, until I found an old bill while I was sorting papers.

This bill was from three years ago.  I remember getting this bill when we'd just moved to our house in Texas. Brandon was away at NTC, our furniture hadn't arrived yet, I was days away from finding out I was pregnant with Veronica, we had barely any money in our checking account - and nothing in our savings, and we hardly knew anyone in the state.  Those were stressful days and that little bill added one more stress that I didn't need.

Looking at that bill brought back all sorts of money related memories from the past few years.  We've always had enough money for our needs, but sometimes it's been just barely enough.  Thinking about those stressful times reminded me how truly blessed we are right now.  Brandon has a steady job, we have enough money to pay for our (amazingly huge) house, we have money in savings, we have money to pay our bills, we have money to pay for our food - heck we even have money to pay for my special health food.  So I really shouldn't be upset that we have to pay one little dental bill.  

10. My family is happy. For a while there Brandon wasn't too happy about flight school (which was rather ironic since this was his dream and all) but things have come around so that he's actually enjoying flying again. Its so nice to have a husband who loves his job.

The kids are all doing really well too.  Derrick is especially making a lot of progress and it seems like he has a new word or skill every day.  Part of me really wants to do a post detailing everything that is going on with him, but in some ways I feel like that would be violating his privacy.  I'm just fine telling you about my weight and all, but that's my story.  I'm not so comfortable sharing Derrick's story.  However, I don't mind talking about it one on one.  So if you want details you can talk to me, or  message me, or e-mail me, or call me, or whatever.

The other kids are doing well too.  Veronica is talking a lot and I often here her sing "Cwinkel Cwinkel Little Staw, HowIwonderwhahyouarrrrrr."  She loves to give hugs and kisses.  She's also the most feisty little two year old and you can't make her do anything that she doesn't want to do.  (This is totally something she gets from me.)

Charlotte and Lydia have always been fun, but age 5 is a really special age.  They actually help around the house and it's helpful instead of partially helpful and partially annoying. They can do art projects without supervision.  We can have conversations about all sorts of subjects.  Those two girls are some of my very best friends.    
So those are reasons I'm feeling really excited about this year.  In a lot of ways I feel like I went through something of a refiners fire the last few years.  I've come out feeling a lot stronger- a lot more sure of myself.  I'm very interested to see where I go from here.

2 comments:

  1. You look fantastic Valarie! What a great inspiring post. Thank you for sharing. I love love love Gilmore Girls. Always a good "go to" show if you need a pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are going well. I haven't had a baby in awhile, but sometimes I still marvel at how awesome life is just because I get to sleep through the night most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers