One day, a few weeks after he came home from Korea, he wasn't home in time for dinner. I can't remember why he didn't come home, but there was something going on that he had to stay for. The kids and I sat down for dinner. Charlotte looked around and excitedly said, "Hey, we're back to normal!"
* * *
Yesterday we were driving in the car on our way back from the store. Charlotte again exclaimed, "We're back to normal." And I kind of have to agree with her. Having Brandon gone does feel very normal. I guess that means we are officially an Army family.
Several people have asked me how I'm doing now that Brandon is away from home again. I usually tell them I'm doing fine. The truth is that I'm doing GREAT!!!!!!!
I mean I miss Brandon and all, but this is something I've been hoping would happen for a long time. He's going to become a Warrant Officer and learn to fly helicopters. Not just learn to fly, but be paid to learn to fly. After spending a small fortune on Utah State's mismanaged flight school I'm thrilled that he will be the one getting paid this time around. (And most of the extra money will go to paying off the student loans that financed the last flight "training.") So if he has to be away from me for a couple months I'm totally cool with that.
And it's not like I Brandon and I haven't been apart before. The first year he was in the army we spent a total of 6 months apart. And the second year was spend with him in Korea.
And I know I keep saying this, but my life is so easy right now. Veronica turned 18 months old today. Do you know what that means? It means for the first time EVER I have an 18 month old without also having a newborn around.
It means I go to sleep at night and I don't wake up until the next morning (usually.) It means that we can go shopping at a store without too much preparation. It means we aren't under house arrest all afternoon while kids take turns napping. It means I can cook without little kids wanting to be held.
Sure I still have four kids age four and under to take care of all day long, but they are all so much easier now than ever before.
I thought it would be fun to list the ages of the kids each time Brandon went away. I've also added some details about each separation. Check it out.
Basic Training/ AIT
Started September 2012
Lasted 3 1/2 months
Brandon and I were able to communicate through 10 minute phone calls on a very irregular basis
Charlotte and Lydia were 22 months old and Derrick was 5 months old when Brandon left
Brandon missed the twins' birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and barely made it home in time for Christmas.
National Training Center (NTC)
January 2013
Lasted a month
There were 14 days without any contact at all
Charlotte and Lydia were 2 years and 3 months old. Derrick was 9 months old.
I found out I was pregnant with Veronica. (During the time I couldn't talk to Brandon.)
Brandon missed my birthday by one day
Brandon missed my birthday by one day
Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC)
May 2013
Lasted a month
Charlotte and Lydia were 2 1/2 years old. Derrick was 13 months old.
I was about 20 weeks pregnant with Veronica
Brandon missed Mother's Day and our 6 year anniversary
Brandon missed Mother's Day and our 6 year anniversary
Fort Hood Gunnery
August 2013
Lasted about a month
Brandon was able to come home about once a week
Charlotte and Lydia were 2 years and 9 months old
Derrick was 16 months old
I was almost 9 months pregnant with Veronica
Gunnery - Part Two
October 2013
Lasted 8 days
Charlotte and Lydia were almost 3. Derrick was 18 months old, Veronica was 3 weeks old
Korea
Lasted 8 1/2 months from January 2014 - October 2014
We were able to Skype at least once a day. Brandon also sent me daily e-mails
Charlotte and Lydia were 3 years and 3 months old, Derrick was 21 months old, and Veronica was 4 months old when Brandon left.
Brandon missed my birthday, Valentine's Day, Easter, Derrick's birthday, Our anniversary, the 4th of July, and Veronica's birthday
Contrast all that with how things are this time around.
Contrast all that with how things are this time around.
Charlotte and Lydia are almost 4 1/2
Derrick is almost 3
Veronica is 18 months old.
Brandon will miss Easter and Derrick's birthday, but we'll be back together in time for our anniversary.
Here's a visual illustration of how much easier my life is this time around. This is the GIANT triple stroller that we bought before Brandon went to Basic Training. I used this stroller to take my kids on walks to the park and on adventures like visiting the zoo. This stroller was a life saver because Charlotte and Lydia both liked to wander and Derrick couldn't even sit up on his own for very long.
This is what a walk looks like these days. We bring the wagon in case somebody/everyone gets tired, but all the kids can walk on their own if they want to. Veronica still likes to wander a little bit, but for the most part she'll follow her siblings everywhere they go. Brandon will miss Easter and Derrick's birthday, but we'll be back together in time for our anniversary.
Here's a visual illustration of how much easier my life is this time around. This is the GIANT triple stroller that we bought before Brandon went to Basic Training. I used this stroller to take my kids on walks to the park and on adventures like visiting the zoo. This stroller was a life saver because Charlotte and Lydia both liked to wander and Derrick couldn't even sit up on his own for very long.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that things are even better than normal for me and the kids right now. This separation should fly by. Soon we will be with Brandon again. Then we'll be able to figure out an even better normal -one that involves all of us being together as a family.


I'm glad I was able to help with that first separation when Brandon was in Basic Training in Georgia. You also had Dad, Hillary, Jacque Illguth, Steve Illguth, and your great branch. I remember that big stroller. It fit on the sidewalk, barely.
ReplyDelete