Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Korea 2014: Week 15 - The highlight reel

Is anyone else kind of over this whole Mother's Day thing already?  I am.  But maybe that's because I'm the only one in my household who even knows it's Mother's Day.  Don't worry about me though I have plans to hang out with my friend Ashley who is also the only adult in her house.  We're going to carb-load on food from the freezer aisle of the store and eat off of paper plates.  I know, I know, spouses of deployed soldiers really know how to live it up.  

But while I wait for that party to get started lets look back at my week.  It's been a good week.  Sure there were some tough moments as usual.  But over all it was really fun and I'm glad I get to be a stay at home mommy to all these cuties.  

We had corn on the cob the other night and Charlotte and Lydia had lots of fun shucking the corn with me.
 Veronica is crawling really well and loves to explore.  This week she took a journey to her birth place.
 Derrick loves to play in the dirt.  I think the caption for this picture should be "I'm raising a boy, not a garden."
 We cleaned up the playroom and Charlotte wanted to rearrange it.  So we created this kitchen area.
 We also made a living room area and a bed room.  And then the girls brought their car and motercycle in so I guess there was a garage in there too.
 We love our new vacuum.  It inspired me to clean out the Honda.  The girls had lots of fun pretending to be the Mommy and Daddy and drive their babies around.
 We've had some fun times out in the back yard.
 Derrick loves to move chalk from the drink holder to the center of the camp chair.  He does this over and over and over again.
 Charlotte worked on learning how to pedal.
 The kids created their own food storage in the piano bench.  I think they use this when they pretend to go grocery shopping, but I haven't paid close enough attention to be sure.
 I signed the kids up for a little dance class through a program on post that we can go to because Brandon is deployed.  The day of the class I totally spaced that we would have to go through the busiest gate at the busiest time of day.  We ended up stuck in line for 15 minutes and missed the start of the class. I really miss the express lanes.
 Then we had trouble finding the building.  Finally I just gave up and took the girls to a park that we like.  And guess what?  The building was right across the street from the park.
 Derrick and Veronica were asleep by the time we got there anyway, so I don't know how it would have worked out.  This was just another reminder of why I don't commit to things in the afternoon.
 Thursday evening I found Charlotte asleep in the play room like this.  She's sucked her thumb since Brandon went to Korea.
A little bit later the sky got really dark.  Maddy, Lydia, Veronica, and I went outside to see it.  Here is a video of the mass of dark swirling clouds that was over our heads.  
 Maddy was really nervous so I walked her home.  Within 5 minutes of getting back to my house the storm broke.  And what a storm it was!  A tornado actually formed and touched down in Killeen, but the sirens never went off on Fort Hood. [Update May 12: There wasn't really a tornado.  The article that was going around Facebook was actually from 2007.  I didn't pay attention to the date. Oops] We had a lot of wind and a lot of rain.  It rained hard for a long time.  We'd planted the tree earlier in the day and I was so worried about it.  But it survived.
On Friday we went to the post office to mail off a Mother's Day gift for Brandon's mom.  At the last minute I had a great idea for an additional gift so we hurried and got the paint out.  
 We made one for Brandon's mom and for my mom.
 Maddy planned out a great mother's day surprise for her mom.  She had her mom leave the house for several hours while she and her friends cleaned the whole house.  She asked me to watch her little siblings.  I love those kids to I agreed.  We went on a walk to the tire swing park where we had a picnic and flew kites. I got a little grumpy when the kites kept getting tangled, but other than that we had a lot of fun.
 Two of the kids are named Olivia and Arick and that gets all sorts of confusing with Lydia and Derrick around.  But we have a lot of fun with them.
 Today I wanted to go to church so I could hear the girls sing to me with the primary.  But all the kids went to bed at 11:00 pm last night.  So I decided that I'd rather sleep in on Mother's Day.  I didn't feel like exerting the energy and planning it takes to get the kids ready for church so we didn't go today.  I feel kind of bad about that, but I have to admit today has been really relaxing.

I took the kids out to the train park in Temple and we had a lot of fun there.  Charlotte and Lydia shared a swing for a little bit.  Every time I look at them together I think of the quote, "God knew I loved you too much to just be your friend, so he made me your sister."
 Veronica, as always, was really cute.  Her shirt says, "Mommy's little alarm clock."
 The park had four baby swings in a row so all my kids could swing at the same time.  Usually I have to keep track of who gets the next turn to swing, so I always like when I'm at places like this.
 The best part of the park is how close to the rail road tracks it is located.  We all loved seeing the trains go by.
Well that's it for us this week. The three oldest kids all fell asleep on the way home from Temple, so I'm hoping to get a quick nap in while Veronica crawls all over me.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers