Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

We're in luck

Remember how last year I wasn't so thrilled about the fact that I was pregnant? All I wanted was a break. I was physically tired.  I was also emotionally tired of listening to crying babies, and changing poopy diapers.  I was not looking forward to starting all over again with another newborn.  

When I started feeling sorry for myself I would think, "this time next year you will have a six month old."  Six month olds are a lot more fun than newborns.  For one they smile a lot.  Smiles make things a lot easier.  And six month olds can eat food other than milk.  And they can entertain themselves.  Six month olds are really really fun.   

And so I told myself to just stick it out for a year. 

Well guess what?  As of today, I have a six month old.  I can't believe how fast the time went by.
Of course Veronica is one of those mythical "easy babies" (they do exist, but there is nothing you can do to ensure that you get one) so she's been pretty awesome from day one.  She's even more awesome now that's she's six months old.

In honor of her six month birthday I want to share a poem that I love.  I found this in a little book of poems that I bought at the thrift store for the twins' third birthday. The book was called Candy Corn and it had a silly poem/picture about eating peanuts that reminded me of Brandon's sense of humor.  So I bought it without reading the rest of the poems.  

It wasn't until after the twins opened their presents that I read the whole book.  And when I read this poem it reminded me of how precious childhood really is.  Here is the poem.  

June
by James Stevenson

If there were just one daisy in the world,
People would line up for miles
To get a look.
But we're in luck,
And there are meadows full right now.
You could even take some home.

To me this poem is not about flowers.  It's about babies.  

Think about it. If there were just one baby in the world people would line up for miles to see it.  But instead there are thousands of babies in the world, and I'm lucky enough to have four of them living in my home.  

I tear up every time I read that poem.  It's kind of silly that I can't get through reading it without my voice catching.  The girls always ask me what's wrong and I try to explain to them that it reminds me to appreciate them a little bit more.  

I'm so grateful for my children - even my little unplanned Veronica. 

(You might be interested to know that this post was made possible, by half a roll of scotch tape that the twins discovered and were subsequently entertained by for over an hour.)

2 comments:

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers