I'm still kind of in shock over the fact that Brandon and I are now a family of six. The kids all came so fast that my brain hasn't had time to adjust how many people I'm in charge of. But every so often I do things that remind me just how many people depend on me. Packing clothes for various adventures our trip was one of those things.
Our 3 days in northern Utah were a trip-within-a-trip. I was overwhelmed with trying to gather enough clothes for all six of us to wear for church, after church, Monday, Tuesday, the Christmas Eve Party on Tuesday night, and Wednesday. To say nothing of regular pajamas and cute pajamas for Christmas eve. I finally gave up and just packed enough clothes to last until Tuesday morning.
On Tuesday morning we woke up at Melanie's house and had breakfast with her family. Then said goodbye to them until that evening and rove an hour to my parents house to get ready for the party that would be at Brandon's other sister's house.
My parents were at work and they were sad that they would miss even a little bit of time with their grandkids. But they really didn't miss much other than the usual bath time drama. Brandon and I got everyone ready for the party and repacked the duffel bag to last us one more night. Then we drove 45 minutes to the party.
I took this picture at the party of all our cute little kids. I still can't believe I have 4 kids.
All year long we expected that the annual Christmas Eve party would be held at Brandon's parent's new home in Eden. But the house wasn't quite done yet. So the party was held at Shannon's house in Tooele, Utah for the third year in a row.It was kind of sad that we couldn't be in the big house yet, but the party was still really fun. We had all the usual Norwegian food and goodies.
Here's Brandon enjoying Rice Crem with strawberry sauce.
The girls had lots of fun playing with their cousins' toys. (Note to self, buy pretend food and pots and pans for the kids.)
Brandon and I were happy to be there together. I couldn't believe that it had been only a year ago that he made it home from Texas just in time for Christmas.
We played the usual chime game. Derrick thought it was so much fun to hit his chime.
Soon Charlotte and Lydia joined in and we had a lot of racket going on.Veronica got passed around from person to person. She had a great time and was awake during the whole 3 hours of the party.
At the end of the party we did our tradition of holding hands and dancing around the Christmas Tree.
Derrick was so excited. He'd spin in circles and then fall on the ground.
Lydia was upset most of the time we danced. I don't know why. Charlotte seemed to like it, but I think she was crying by the end. I think they were pretty tired.
Derrick got a little tired too and spent the rest of the time riding on Brandon's shoulder like this.
Here is a little movie of first the chimes and then dancing around the tree. As you can see the family is getting too big for Shannon's family room. It will be nice to have lots of room at the new house next year.
Derrick didn't really have Christmasy pajamas, but all the girls did. Veronica's even said, "My first Christmas."
We'd planned on sleeping over at Steve and Jacque's house back when we thought the big house would be done. At the time I imagined how wonderful it would be to just say goodbye to all the guests and then put our kids to bed. But unfortunately that isn't what happened.
Instead we had to put our kids in the car and drive for over an hour to get to Steve and Jacque's house. I was tired and pretty grumpy during the drive. It was one of those times where I said a lot of things I felt, but nothing I actually meant. I told Brandon I was sick of living out of our car and that next year everyone should come visit us in Texas.
Well as soon as we got to Steve and Jacque's I forgot all about my problems - because Lydia started throwing up. (I think she ate a few too many cookies at the party). I went into "Good Mommy-mode" and took care of her while Brandon brought all the sleeping kids inside. I didn't have any other pajamas for her to sleep in so Jacque let Lydia wear one of her t-shirts.
Lydia eventually fell asleep and Brandon and I finished wrapping a few presents and set everything up under the tree. Then we went right to bed.
















No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?