Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

In Brandon's Words: JRTC Journal Entries

Happy Memorial Day everyone!  This is our first Memorial Day as an Army family.  I feel like I should feel differently about this day now, but I don't really.  Maybe in a few years I'll have some deep thoughts and feelings to tell you all about service and sacrifice for our country.  Right now all I can say is that there are a lot of people doing a lot of things to keep us all safe and free.  I hope you remember that.  

I typed up Brandon's journal entries for his time at the JRTC (Joint Readiness Training Center) located at Fort Polk, Louisiana.  His unit was there lending support to other units who were training for deployments.  Brandon's unit was assigned to pretend to be Afghan soldiers.  He also spent about a week in the Command Center.  His time in the Command Center reminds me of the book Ender's Game.  He was running a computer program the whole time and he still isn't sure if it was a simulation or something real. 

I feel kind of funny posting this on Memorial Day.  Brandon's time at the JRTC was so insignificant compared to what other soldiers have done or are currently doing.  I can't help think about my best friend Ashley who's husband is in Afghanistan today.  Or my friend Kim who's husband died in combat in 2007.  Posting about how Brandon missed his family for a month seems kind of whinny next to their experiences.   

On the other hand I feel like you should read this today.  It's nothing epic or glamorous, but hardly anything in life really is.  Little day to day actions are what make up who we are and what we do.  

So here are his journal entries for the past month.  I've taken out the most personal stuff.  I've also left out several discussions that he had with some battle buddies about religion.  I'm proud that Brandon shares the gospel, but I didn't want his buddies to read this and feel like their personal lives are on display on my blog.  

April 30, 2013
Well so far I like this a lot better than NTC.  We started out (on time) yesterday by leaving Ft Hood at about 7:30 am and a long while later showed up at Ft Polk Louisiana about 2:30-3:00 pm.  The ride was long and not very relaxing, but I did get some sleep and watch most of two movies than not.  We got there - it was muggy, but not dusty, freezing, or dark.  There are tons of trees - it is green and lush.  We got assigned a barracks and beds (not cots) etc.  Then we got our bags - we didn't have to wait forever to get them.  We each have a locker.  We get to eat at a DFAC (Dining Facility).  So far it is pretty chill.
Louisiana vegetation
May 1, 2013
Today we did some Land Nav.  Some passed some didn't.  I passed.  Many argued.
I like this place, so far, a lot better than NTC.  Warm showers and bathrooms.
Pt this morning was good too.  We worked out but it wasn't insane ranger workouts.  We had fun and I have had a pretty good day.  I am reading the second Mistborn book, "The Well of Ascention."  So far it is pretty good.  Although I would rather be at home I am getting used to this.  I am also used to the people here and they me.

Thursday May 2, 2013
Well the past two days have been kind of oddly similar.  Wake up, PT, Breakfast, Nap until 10:30, 11:30 class, 1:00 finish class, have test, 2:30 relax, 3:30 gym, 4:30 Dinner, 5:00 barracks and wait the rest of the night.
Yesterday we climbed the rope for PT - I almost got to the top.  My shoes were slippery.  It was hard PT.  My arms hurt like crazy.  Then we did dips and pushups.  That hurt too.  The rest of the day I spent reading the Well of Ascension.  I also passed the First Aid test too.

Friday May 3, 2013
We stood in the cold all morning waiting to get fake ID's made.  I talked to E____  all morning and got to know him a little more.  It was fun.  We pretty much didn't do anything the rest of the day.  I read and we went to the gym and that was pretty much it.

Saturday May 4, 2013
We got up and did Saturday PT. I got to call the exercises this morning and screwed up royally. I remembered the acronym BRHRSWFPBP [Don't ask what it stands for] But I couldn't remember the names of the exercises.
The rest of the morning we chilled.  I did weapons guard for afternoon PT then went and ate by myself.  It was nice. We came back and chilled the rest of the night.
I strung my weapon and tied my laser to it.  L____ told me he would help me - he looked at it and gave it back and said it was good.  Then he asked for my help to tie someone elses down.  I am popular.  Everyone is sitting on my bed now.  I think all the NCOs are sitting on their beds.

Sunday May 5, 2013
I had the opportunity to go to church today - if I could find a church, but apparently there is not an LDS service in close proximity to here.  So instead we just relaxed all day.  It was nice.
I miss Valerie a lot and wish I could see her and be with her, but I have 3 weeks left.  I hope it goes by fast.  We had two classes today on crossing a LDA (Linear Danger Area) and creating a quick halt, long halt, and an objective rally point.  Kind of cool, but every one's attitude to it was, as normal, negative.

Monday May 6, 2013
I think I am getting too much sleep.  When I get too much I feel the exact same as if I get too little.  I feel tired.  I wish I could do something else besides sit here.  And I want to be with Valerie.
We went to go get our badges and did our TOC stuff.  We found out we are going to have the day shift for what we are doing.  We got ID badges and kind of just hung around all morning.  L____ bought E____ and I lunch.  We have been hanging out and having fun all day.  I got to use the computer and read Val's and Hillary's blogs.  We did afternoon PT.  I talked to Val.  We almost had to play basketball, but I made sure everyone knew I wanted to go to the gym.  I got a group of about 6 guys to go.  It was nice.  I did lots of weights and basically 150 sit ups without stopping.  I was very proud of myself.

Tuesday May 7, 2013
I didn't think you could make a sentence with nothing but terrible swearwords - I stand corrected.
I had a lot of fun today.  We started our training for out TOC Duty.  It was really confusing.  We went into a big room and got a presentation on what we were doing.  I think everyone (including me) left that room 95% more confused than upon entering.
We were then divided into Day and Night shifts (I'm glad I'm day shift.)  We stayed for training and got split into groups.  I was about to go to my group when I was told to change.  I was sent to the aviation one instead because I am "into aviation."  I'm not complaining.
We spent the rest of the morning learning a computer program to move units and teams around. The guy I was with happened to be a retired pilot and we started swapping stories.  It was great.  I was tired and couldn't concentrate on much until then.  It was fun.
After chow we got our Afghan ID's and that was pretty interesting.  My new name is Sadeed Zakir Reza Alan.  It's my first false ID.

Thursday May 9, 2013
It was a good day in our computer training class.  I am figuring out how to use the program to send convoys and helicopters and shoot stuff.  Although I still don't know why.  I think I will find out tomorrow though.  Greg was really cool again.  He helped me learn the program better.  He also spent some time showing me some cool stuff on the computer.  He's trying to sell me on Ubuntu Computer OS - and I am pretty sold.  I think already was.

Friday May 10, 2013
I sat in front of a computer for 12 hours today waiting to do missions.  I think I did 5 all day, but it was pretty terrible at first until I got the hang of the program. I guess it was pretty good.
I also got to spent some time with a CW2 (Chief Warrant Officer 2) today.  He and I hung out and talked about helicopters and remote control planes.  He taught me a few tricks for flying a helicopter.  It was pretty cool.  We had a good time and Greg came back and talked to me again and said hi.

Saturday May 11, 2013
Today was another "unthrilling" but none the less, enjoyable day.  At the computer I didn't do much.  We flew from check point to check point and back again all day long.  I still don't quite understand what is going on, but I just do it anyway.
I did have a lot of free time to talk and draw airplanes and helicopters.  I think I finally figured out how I want my aircraft to look and have started trying to figure out how to build a model of it.
I was able to catch up on stuff on the regular computer.  I copied some French stuff to teach E___ about.  I had chow and taught E___ some french lessons.  I got to talk to Val who had adventures with Derrick having bloody noses and the girls in diapers all day long.  She's enjoying herself I guess.

Sunday May 12, 2013 (Mother's Day)
I am so sad that I have to miss Mother's Day and be away from Valerie and the kids.  I have missed her birthday, Mother's Day, and our anniversary this year.  Hopefully I will be able to get her a way cool present or something when I get home or spend some real good time with her.
After work and dinner I plugged my phone in and called everyone in my family.  I got all voicemail and finally mom called me back.  I think she was glad I called.  She told me she misses us boys and our families.  I also got to talk to Jana and her mom, Laurie.  They are both doing good.  I figured I needed to talk to them today.  I also talked to Valerie and found out the new stuff from the day.  Then I talked to Bryan and Kara and Owen.  Valerie's mom called back so I talked to her.  She sounded good. I then texted Valerie until I fell asleep.

Monday May 13, 2013
I had the last day of whatever it was that I have been doing for the past week.  Apparently there was a lot of aviation stuff going on, but I was not in charge of it.  I just sat and drew and drew and chilled.  It was kind of fun.  I finally got to do a mission toward the end of the day.  It was fun-ish.  Fun is kind of an interesting word for what I am doing.

Tuesday May 14, 2013
I have had a very productive day I go to sleep in yay.  I got to go to breakfast.  (Lieutenant B______ talked to me about the letter I need to write for my Warrant Officer Application.  I told him I didn't have it yet, but that I would get it together the moment I get home)
I gave myself a haircut, did some laundry, cleaned my locker, shaved, and organised my stuff.  It's been a pretty good day and it's only 10:00 am.  We went out and practiced a lane we are going to do this afternoon.  We'll see how that works.
Later at 2:30:
I didn't want to do our "sticks lane" last week and I was actually glad that I would miss it while working in my "office job." So yesterday was our last day and I found out my team hadn't done it yet and they were going to do it today.  "Great" I thought.  Anyway, reluctantly I went and realized the error of my ways.
If was fun! We were crawling through the brush, walking though the dense woods here in Louisiana.  We were crawling through raspberry thorns which didn't hurt as much or as often as you would think.  We were trying to be sneaky and we were setting up stops along the way - it was very cool.
I did have a lot of fun.  I got to the end and was told by one of the leaders that I needed to fall over unconscious.  I became a heat casualty victim at the end.  I got to relax and play dead and listen to what was going on around me.
The rest of the day was pretty boring.  Although I did get to talk to Valerie which wasn't boring.

Wednesday May 15, 2013
Yesterday was a lot of info.  Today I had nothing to do and tomorrow we are going into "the box." I am actually not very excited for it at all.  It is my anniversary in two days and I am going to spend it away from my bride for the first time ever since we were married.  We usually have a way awesome trip planned, but we already went on that.  She is going to be at Lindsey's and I am going to be here.
All I did was go to breakfast and go get dinner and the rest of the day was spent drawing/sleeping/reading or talking on the phone.

Thursday May 16, 2013
Waiting in the Humvee to go to the box.  We got up early, had breakfast, and got ready to go.  Been sitting here for an hour.
We finally left and didn't drive too far down the road.  We are at a compound and have taken residence here.  We are at the back most room/building in a courtyard of about three other buildings.  As we got here we received instructions to build our little room to our liking.  We helped set up C-wire and we had some gun shots to us.
I pulled security in a tower  for 3 hours and the rest of the day I have been reading the Hero of Ages - it's the last Mistborn book.  We do have phone reception; however, I didn't bring my phone charger.  I got a cot and dinner and I told the guys here my opinion of pornography.
Brandon pretending to be an Afghan soldier - the beard is part of the costume.
Friday May 17, 2013
It's my and Valerie's anniversary.  6 years today.  I am so lucky to be married to her.  I was able to talk to her a couple of times on my dying phone (I forgot my charger).  The reception here isn't that great either.  I miss her and I am so glad I was able to talk to her and see how she and the kids are doing.  She got the flowers I sent to her and she liked them.
I pulled security on the check point for vehicles.  We blocked off traffic from four lanes to one lane for two way traffic on a real road.  We were checking ID's of vehicles "in play" and letting everyone else go through.  I felt like I was causing a serious safety violation.
The rest of the day I spent reading Mistborn - The Hero of Ages.  I loved these books.  I think that these books have changed something about me.  I have never thought about the end of a book in my life more than this one. I thought it was perfect.  Very well written.

Saturday May 18, 2013
Got to sleep in today - missed breakfast - thank goodness - it looked disgusting.  Hung out, drew some pictures, wrote some things down.  I hung out all morning.  This afternoon I pulled tower guard for an hour or so. I called Valerie for a minute or two.  I got to go away from here and get water and dinner.  That was nice to get away for a few minutes.  After dinner I actually hung out outside with everyone and talked and had some good time together with everyone here.

Sunday May 19, 2013
I spent most of the day sleeping because there was not much else to do.  I drew in my book a little.  I read the rest of Matthew and all of Mark in the new testament (I needed some religion in my life).  I also got to go and be a part of a traffic control point up the road a little way.  I was an Afghan soldier helping the Americans by inspecting vehicles for anything odd in them. ( All pretend of course)
It is so funny.  All the drivers and passengers were so mad (pretend mad) that we had to stop them.  One guy actually got out and was picking up the street markers and putting them in his trunk and the soldiers were so frustrated.
I thought to myself while doing this, "these people are great actors and actresses. This is exactly how foreign people act toward Americans - at least in my experience."
The American soldiers were funny.  I heard one say, "why is everyone so grumpy?  They should know that something like this is going to happen.  I'm sorry they are going to be late getting home, but I don't want to be here either."  He was all serious and confiding in his friends.  It made me laugh.  I was thinking to myself, "they are all faking it, and just trying to give you a real experience."  It was funny.
I stopped one lady and she reached into a cooler in the back of her truck.  The Americans didn't like it at all.  She pulled out a Monster Energy Drink and gave it to me.  That was so nice.  Then she gave me three Star Crunch snacks to share with my buddies.  She told me not to give it to any of the Americans.  I replied with, "okay."  It was funny - hilarious.
I got to talk to Valerie for about 3 minutes until my phone completely died.  I went to my cot and I made a new battery for my phone by taping 3 AA batteries together and running twist tires (as wires) from one to the other and taping those down too.  I got it to work and have texted and called Valerie.  So far it works okay.
Oh as an after thought - one of the older ladies I pulled over at the TCP commented that I have very striking blue eyes that were pretty.  We had a short conversation about where I was "really" from.  She was nice to me too.
      
May 20, 2013
I miss Valerie.  I want to go home.  I don't mind spending time away from home, but a month every 4 is wearing.  I don't like feeling like I'm starting to know others around me better than my own spouse.  Of course it would help if my phone worked.  The battery didn't work anymore today so I tried to fix it better and then it didn't work at all.  I gave up.  Twist ties and my battery connectors can only take so much stress.
I did guard duty this morning until 9:30 - ate breakfast, and then went back to sleep until noon.  I hate doing that because it makes me not sleepy at night.  Anyway I reread the climactic ending to Mistborn again - something I never do.  It is so good.  I feel like it is a dream when I read it.  It is good.  I teared up again as I reread it - also something I rarely do.
After dinner and finishing the book I went outside and hung out with everyone again.  I hope I can be a good example to them even though I am probably a little cocky.  Speaking of being cocky I was thrilled with my battery design today when someone called me Macgyver.  I don't know why but I love that.  And I feel like people actually had a little respect for me - instead of Dumb Illguth who can't shoot.

One of many helicopters that flew over while Brandon did guard duty.
May 21, 2013
We got up (L____ and I have been guard buddies for the past 5 days and we have also been bunk buddies for the month so we have gotten to know each other pretty well) Anyway, he and I had guard duty from 1:30 am to 3:00 am.  I read the New Testament again and wrote in my journal.  This month is almost over.  I am so glad.  I just want to go home - hopefully by Saturday - preferably Friday we will get to be there.  Maybe if we are lucky we will get next Tuesday off in addition to Memorial Day on Monday.
We spent the rest of the day waiting to go back.  I got all the way through John and some of the Acts in the New Testament.  Sometime around six we loaded up and went back.  We stopped at the PX then went home.  I charged my phone, straightened my crap, took a shower, and talked to Val.  She and the kids are doing great.  They had fun at Lindsey's.  We talked about the Mistborn books. She told me what the girls and Derrick were up to.  Char was in bed, so was Derrick.  Lydia was up playing.  I texted Valerie until I fell asleep.

May 22, 2013
This morning was the first time I have done rigorous PT for about 2 1/2 weeks, I think, and it was hard.  We did the norm and then crunches obliques and sit ups then push ups for an hour.  I was ready to be done.
When we were done I went to breakfast by myself.  It was nice.  I ate breakfast by myself and until everyone showed up.  Then I waited for them and we all left together.  We hung out all morning and I asked if I could go to the MWR and I was told I could.  I spent the rest of the afternoon on the computer reading Val's blog, Hillary's blog, facebook, and my e-mails.  I also got to chat with Valerie on facebook for about 2 hours.  It was fun looking at pictures on her blog and chatting with her.  It made me feel like I got to spend the afternoon with her.  It felt nice. I am leaving on Friday at 9:00.  I can't wait.  When all is said and done I am going to be done around 7:00 pm.  I am so excited.
I got to spend the evening talking with ____ about the church again and he said that he is likes it and feels like he is liking religion again.  I am so excited.  I ordered a Book of Mormon for him from the church website and I am guessing it should show up next week sometime.  ____ started asking a few questions too.  It was cool.  I really do feel like a missionary.
The last thing of the evening was when W____ asked me to come over to his bunk where he had some naked centerfold displayed and asked me, "come on doesn't she look good?"  I said something to the effect of "she is pretty because the human body is pretty, but I am trying to make myself into a better person and that is why I refrain from looking at stuff like that."  It felt awesome, I really do feel like a missionary.

May 24, 2013
We are going home tomorrow!!! I am so excited.  Today was the last full (boring) day here in Louisiana and Ft Polk.
I woke up and PT was running half way to get chow. I am so glad because my stomach is really sore from all the sit ups and crunches we did yesterday.  After chow we came back and chilled the rest of the day until dinner chow.  It was storming so we didn't go, but we had about 15 Pizza boxes delivered because LT B_____ got it for us.  It was pretty cool.  I really like him.  He is a pretty cool guy.
I got to talk to Valerie which I love to do.  She had a pretty rotten day with three crying kids, but I guess it turned out okay later.
The two biggest things that happened today was when H___ stopped by and just randomly asked about the Mormon church.  I basically gave him the first discussion without the Book of Mormon and he seemed really interested in it.  I told him I would get him one as soon as I got home (I have three coming).  And then P___, E___, L___ and myself quizzed each other on random facts like geography, state capitols, and other random stuff.  It was a very fun day today.  Nice and Relaxing.

Brandon made it home Friday night around 5:30.  The kids and I were all so excited to see him and he was so happy to be home.  He has a 4 day weekend off of work so we are all enjoying hanging out as a family again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers