Now that I'm no longer teaching Gospel Doctrine on a weekly basis I plan on starting up my Sunday Inspiration posts again. I'll keep these up as long as I don't have a demanding calling. (And after the drama the twins pulled on me today during Sacrament meeting I'd be surprised if this ward gave me a calling at all.)
Anyway, here's your inspiration for today. This happens to be my own story and not a conference talk.
I wont lie. It's been hard giving up my awesome support system that I had in Utah. I miss being able to send out a text and have a babysitter at my door within a few minutes. But I'm working on getting a new system set up. I'm making friends with the neighbors and (trying) to attend church to meet people.
On Thursday, though, I felt very alone. Our stuff had been delivered and the furniture was placed. That was awesome. But later that day I noticed Lydia laying on the floor. I asked her if she was okay and she gave a tiny shake of her head. As I helped her onto the couch I could tell she was burning up with a fever.
I gave her medicine and water. Then I put on a movie and held her while she fell asleep. I told her, "Thanks for waiting to get sick until after we had a couch and TV again."
I really wanted someone to come give her a blessing. But I didn't know anyone's phone number off hand. I was about to go look up the online ward directory when I remembered that someone had called my phone earlier. I was shocked when I listened to the voice mail message. It was from the Fort Hood Military Relations Missionary couple. Sister Smith explained that she'd heard we were moving to Fort Hood and she wanted to see if we needed anything. The timing couldn't have been better. I called her right back and left a message asking for her husband to come give Lydia a blessing.
Soon they called back and then were on their way to my house. When Elder and Sister Smith arrived they explained that they got my contact information from the Edwards' who were one of the Sr Missionary couples in my Bountiful Branch. Brother and Sister Edwards' son married the Smith's daughter. I was happy to hear that. During our last two months in Bountiful we'd started sitting in front of the Edwards' during Sacrament meeting. The girls would take turns sitting with them. Sister Edwards always had fun things in her bag for the girls to play with. I vaguely remembered the Sister Edwards telling me that they had friends on a mission in Fort Hood, but I'd mostly forgotten about it.
I was happy that our furniture had arrived and the Smiths had somewhere to sit. They sat down and talked to me for a while. I'm glad they talked to me. I didn't know it, but I was craving a conversation with older people. I loved the 2.5 years hanging out with Sr Missionary couples in the branch. I think I like the fact that they aren't currently burdened with trying to potty train or debating whether to nurse or bottle feed. They moved on from that phase of their lives years ago. They are a nice reminder that there is life after young children.
Brother Smith had asked our LDS neighbor from up the street to come help with the blessing. He showed up and both men gave Lydia a blessing. I don't remember what they said, but it calmed me down. A little while later Lydia was running around like she was just fine. (The fruit snacks Brother Smith gave her also might have helped.)
I'm so amazed at the timing of it all. They called me almost exactly when I needed them. I keep thinking about something President Monson often says, "There are no coincidences." Things like this help me remember that I'm never truly alone.
Streaming Movies
-
This post was originally published on East Idaho Collective on January 31,
2023. EIM closed on February 15, 2023. I have moved my posts to this blog
in ord...
3 years ago

There really are no coincidences and it is nice to live in a diverse ward and be able to talk to people about anything other than mom stuff.
ReplyDelete