About two weeks ago the girls were "helping" me in my room. They found a box of screws that Brandon had left on one of his tool shelves. My first thought was, "when will Brandon learn that he needs to put things like this on the higher shelves?" I thought about the stern reminder that I could give him when he came home from work. Didn't he understand that the girls got into EVERYTHING within reach? Didn't he understand that the girls screamed bloody murder whenever I tried to take things like this away from them?
And then as soon as those thoughts went through my mind I had another thought. In four months Brandon will be gone for a while. His tools will stay in their places on the shelves unless I move them. The girls wont be unlatching his tool box, pulling out his mud trowel, finding his rope, or getting into the screw box. And that thought made me sad. As nice as it will be to not worry about the girls breaking his tools - I'd rather have Brandon around.
So I let the girls play with the screws. They put them in piles on the floor, then moved them to piles on my bed, then put them back in the box, and then put them in piles on the floor again. I went and made bread while they were distracted.
While I worked on the bread I thought about how fleeting everything is. The words to "Leave it like it is" by Cherrie Call kept running through my head. The song is all about the way I was feeling. In a few years the kids will be in school and I'll be working. All I'll have left are the memories of this time. I think that's why I blog so much. I want to remember all the silly little things that happened during this part of my life.
In that spirit here are pictures from the last two months set to "Leave it like it is."


That's the right perspective as hard as it is to remember sometimes.
ReplyDeleteHi Val-- I don't have much time these days to read blogs or get on facebook too much, but something drew me here today. I really loved this blog, very inspirational and well said.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your little boy! I'm so thrilled for you and your family.
Warm Wishes,
Randa
Very nice pictures on the video. Very cute! The twins look so much bigger than when we saw them in March. Your video made me tear up. I CANT wait to see you all in July!
ReplyDelete