Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

C-Sections, VBACs, and probably TMI

The other day I read a blog post where a women was talking about her C-Section.  She had not been planning on having one and she was upset that it happened.  To read her post click here.*  The fact that she was upset about her C-section reminded me that I'm kind of in the minority because I was, and still am, just fine with my C-section. I figured I should share my experiences with my C-section and my VBAC.  Sorry if there is too much TMI, but I want to let you know what it's all really about.

C-Sections

Part of the reason I liked my C-section was because I knew it was coming.  With twins C-sections are pretty much a given.  Getting both babies head down and then keeping them there is tricky.  I've only known one Mom who delivered her twins vaginally (props to you Kira).  So I started talking to people about their C-sections as soon as possible.  I recommend that every pregnant women a least consider the fact that she might have a C-section.  Knowing the what to expect will make it far less scary when it actually happens.

My mother-in-law was one of my best sources of information.  She also had twins so she really knew what I would be going through. She told me EVERYTHING.  Including the fact that they spread your arms away from your body like you are on a cross.  And then they strap your arms down.  This information freaked me out.  I didn't know if I could handle being in that position.  But when it really happened it wasn't that big of a deal.   My arms really didn't have anywhere else to be anyway. Brandon held my hand and it distracted me most of the time.

During the actual C-section the thing that drove me the most crazy was the curtain that was right in front of my face.  It made me feel really claustrophobic.  And since my body was numb I kind of felt like a disembodied head.

Some people complain that their C-section hurt their initial bonding experience with their baby.  This may or may not be true - I don't know.  All I'll say on that subject is that I didn't really see my babies until an hour after they were born. I didn't hold Charlotte until about 60 hours (yes, as in two and a half days) later.  But I don't feel like I loved my girls any less.  it was a little surreal seeing them for the first time in their hospital rooms because I didn't see them come out of my body, but I still knew they were my kids. And in all honestly the whole hospital experience was surreal.      

There is one aspect of C-sections that I totally cheated on.  The first few days and weeks of recovery are pretty painful.  Thanks to the fact that my babies had to stay in special care I didn't have to take care of them while recovering.  For the first 4 days I'd go over to special care in my hospital gown, help with diaper changes and feeding and then go back to my room.  Then I spent another 14 days living at the hospital and helping take care of the girls. (Here is my typical day post from that time) It was tough but it wasn't as tough as it would have been if I had been at home trying to heal and take care of twins.  I joked that I had a nanny and a maid because the staff took care of my babies and the cleaning lady cleaned my room.

Here are two tips I have to make recovery from C-sections far less painful.  1.  Ask the hospital for a velcro girdle thingy (sorry I don't know the real name).  This will hold your abdomin together so you don't feel like you are splitting open.  2.  The worst pain I experienced was in my sholder.  It was referred pain from gas.  It killed.  My nurse gave me a pill that took care of it.

Part of the blog with the complaining mom says,  "Did you read the part about getting my uterus sliced open? And taken out of my body and then put back in and stapled shut?" To which I reply, "Oh don't forget they first sliced your skin, ripped your abdominal muscles apart, and then sliced your uterus open.  And they also poured salt water in you before they sewed you up.  Oh and they pulled a baby out of you too - which was kind of the whole point."

Yeah a C-section is major surgery - that you are awake for.  It's kind of traumatic that way. But guess what?  Your body heals.  It gets better.  Yeah, you're left with a scar, but it's in an area most people aren't ever going to see.  And even the scar is pretty small.  I would post a picture of my scar, but given it's location (and the fact that I still have a punchy post-pregnancy belly) I'm not that brave.  Instead, here is a picture of a scar I've had on my foot since I was four.
You'll probably have to click on the image so you can see the scar better.  It's in a line down the middle of my foot.  This scar is about half as long and three times as wide as my C-section scar. (Kuddo's to any of you who noticed how long its been since I've had time to paint my toe-nails)

V-BACS

How do I know that your body heals after a C-section?  We'll because 17 months after my C-section I VBACed a 9 lb 2 oz baby without any complications.

First I have to say a huge thank you to all the women and doctors who pioneered the way for people like me to have a Vaginal Birth After a Cesarean.  I especially want to thank my friends Lina and Michelle for sharing the fact that they were able to have successful VBACs.  (Michelle VBACed after TWO C-sections!)  And my doctor was awesome too.  I was worried that I would have to fight with my doctor to even get her to consider doing a VBAC.  Instead, when I first saw her with my second pregnancy she asked, "Do  you want to try for a VBAC?"  And when I saw her for my 6 week post pardum check up she was bragging all over the office for me.  She even stole Derrick for a minute and showed him to all her coworkers.**  

Originally I was scared to do a vaginal birth.  A C-section seemed more appealing, because it was familiar.  And I might have asked for another C-section except for 2 very big reasons named Charlotte and Lydia.  I did not want to spend 4 days away from them while I recovered in the hospital.  And I did not want to come home and deal with a new baby, two 17 month olds, and an incision.  I'm glad I opted for the vaginal birth, because the very first thing Lydia did when she saw me after Derrick was born was jump up and down in my lap - right where the incision would have been.      

I had a spinal block with my C-section (but I always refer to it as an epidural because it sounds less scary) and an real epidural during the VBAC.  Both were kind of intense to get, but sooooo nice once they were in.    In fact I was able to sleep for the last 3 hours of labor before it was time to push.  I was monitored a little more during Derrick's birth than I would have been had I not had a C-section.  But it was worth it.

Before I went into labor I would think about the fact that I would see the baby as soon as it was born.  I knew that I would be able to hold the baby right away.  And honestly I thought, "why would I want that?  He's going to be all gooey and funny colored."  But I'm happy to say that I wasn't grossed out when they put Derrick on my chest right after he was born.  There was a blanket between us that the nurses used to wipe him off.  Once he was mostly clean I was able to put him on my chest for some awesome skin to skin time.

I was able to get up, walk, and go to the bathroom within an hour of giving birth.  With the C-section it took about a day before I could do any of those things.  I did kind of wish they left the catheter in after the VBAC.  I kind of lost sphincter control and had trouble making it to the bathroom in time for a few days.        

I'd say the only downside to a vaginal birth is that you have to sit on the area that is recovering.  And hospital beds do not help this situation.  It seems like every time I got the bed adjusted in a somewhat comfortable way someone would come in and need to examine me.  But the recovery is still faster than with a C-section.  Within a few days sitting is okay and within a few weeks everything is back to normal. Like I said earlier - your body heals.

Having done both I highly recommend vaginal births over C-sections.  But that doesn't make C-sections terrible.  If you have to have one, just go with it.  I think it's good that a lot of labors turn out differently than expected.  It helps you learn quickly that you're a Mom now.  NOTHING is ever going to go exactly like you planned it ever again. The sooner you learn that lesson the better.

* To read a childbride post that I do (mostly) agree with click here.

** I want to share how I picked my doctor.  After I found out I was still having twins I originally wanted a midwife.  But the office I called didn't deliver twins (most don't).  They referred me to the Salt Lake Clinic because all their ob/gyns are women.  When I called to make an appointment the receptionist asked me who I wanted to see.  I didn't have a preference other than whoever had an earlier appointment.  One doctor had an appointment open on the 15th of July, but the other had one open on the 9th.  I took the one on the 9th.  (Yep that's all the research I did, that's how I roll)

When I went to that appointment I was impressed by the modestly of the waiting room.  I didn't feel like I was paying for the building.  What impressed me most of all was how fast the doctor was able to come into the examining room.  I literally was not done undressing when she knocked on the door.

And then over the next two years I found out just how lucky I was to have this amazing, talented ob/gyn partner with me in bringing 3 lives into this world.  I recommend Dr. Allyson Servoss to anyone looking for an ob/gyn.    

3 comments:

  1. I just want to brag that I delivered my twins vaginally... :) Granted they were 3 lbs 9 oz and 4 lbs 1 oz, but still no C-section for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. It was weird being sore in a different location this last time but recovery was SO much faster and I wasn't doped up on pain meds that made forget what I was saying mid-sentence. I definitely vote Vaginal over C/S any day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was interesting to hear more about your experience with it all :) Nice work with the VBAC (again).

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers