Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

I married an elf

Those of you who have read this blog for a while know that Brandon is a pretty talented guy.  He cooks, cleans, draws, builds stuff, you name it this guy can do it.  I finally figured out what makes him so amazing.  He's an elf - as in one of Santa's Elves.  Let's look at some examples.  

Brandon has been working very hard lately.  He's been re-roofing the roof for some Sr Missionaries in the Branch.  In his spare time from that project he was out on our patio/shop working on surprises.    
One surprise was a set of DVD shelves for our neighbors.   Several months ago they asked him to design some shelves to hold their collection of around 500 DVD's.  Then life happened and they never gave Brandon the supplies to make the shelves.  Well, we had a bunch of plywood just taking up space on the patio, and these neighbors are the ones who provide the internet that allows me to entertain you all, so making them surprise shelves was the least Brandon could do.  
 Another surprise was also for the same neighbors.  Their son has been asking for a bike for Christmas, but they didn't know how they were going to be able to get one for him.  Years ago a friend gave Brandon two old bikes that Brandon disassembled and saved for just such an occasion. He asked our friends if they would want him to put the bike together for their son.  They immediately said yes, and he immediately went to work.  First he sanded the frame and spray painted it black.  It didn't quite dry all the way outdoors so he hung it up in our bedroom to help it dry the rest of the way.
 I came out of the shower and found the bike frame in my room.  I laughed to myself about what an odd husband I have (and what and understanding wife I am) and went to find the camera so I could document this latest occurrence.  I walked into the kitchen and found Brandon making fudge - with a makeshift double broiler.  There really are no ends to the talents this guy had.
 Anyway here is the bike all finished.  I saw it go together and I can hardly believe it.
 But that is not all Brandon has been up to.  Our dryer started making a horrible squalling, grinding sound.  After taking it a part 3 times, going to the parts store in Murray 2 times, and buying 2 new barrings and a pulley (or something) the dryer is now purring like a kitten.  It is quieter now than it ever has been the whole time we owned it.
I thought that between the re-roofing, the shelves, the bike, and the unexpected dryer emergency that my Christmas gift would be delayed.  However, late Christmas Eve morning, when all the other projects were done, Brandon continued to use his drill and saws.
And Christmas morning I found a window seat waiting for me!  Right now it may look like a coffin (and I keep telling people that Brandon gave me one) but I am so excited!  This means the girls can look out the window all by themselves.  Plus it opens up and we are going to put food storage and emergency preparedness supplies in it.  I'm looking forward to staining it, making a pad, and sewing pillows for it.  
As if that wasn't enough, I came out to the tree on Christmas Morning and found a guitar!  I already had the guitar (it was Brandon's dad's) but it had the wrong type of strings and the bridge was coming off.  Brandon bought the right strings and then fixed the bridge and the warped guitar surface.  I was so surprised and excited.  
So yeah, I married an elf.  I just hope Santa doesn't want him back.

2 comments:

  1. Holly cow! If we would have known Brandon was this busy we would have put the Christmas stool together for you guy's. WOW BRAN!!! I didn't realize all that tinkering you did when you were little would pay off so well. Awesome projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I am a little jealous and amazed by all the projects you guys do (not to mention the things you can do)!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Daisypath Anniversary tickers