Brandon and I are sometimes asked how we ended up pregnant with twins. People want to know if we were using any sort of fertility drugs or treatment. The official answer is no, we were not on any fertility drugs. We were not undergoing any In-vitro treatments or anything like that.
However, there is a silly theory for how we ended up with twins. It's pretty funny, but first you have to understand a basic math principle. When you divide whole numbers by fractions the numbers get bigger. For example 3 divided by 1/3 is 9. For those of you who are more visually oriented than math oriented here is a visual example. Imagine you have 4 cookies. Now divide each of those cookies into fourths. You will end up with 16 cookie pieces. (4 divided by 1/4 equals 16).

Okay now that you understand this principle you can hear the rest of the story. Brandon has two sisters. The older one got married about 10 years ago and wasn't able to have kids for several years. The younger one got married about 7 years ago. Brandon's Dad made her a homemade bed as a wedding present. Within a few months she was pregnant. The older sister wanted a bed too so Brandon's Dad made her one. Within a few months she was pregnant too.
Brandon and I got married about 3 years ago and it took us a while to get pregnant. Sometimes we would joke that it was because we didn't have a homemade "fertility" bed yet. All we had was two mattresses on top of a box spring. It worked well for us in our tiny apartment. When we moved to our townhouse style apt we ended up with a huge bedroom. I wanted a headboard to make our bedroom seem more complete.
We built a headboard out of an old futon. Here is the post about how we did it. We probably should have made a whole bed frame. Because apparently when an Illguth builds half a homemade bed it acts like dividing fractions. 1 fertilized egg divided by 1/2 a bed equals 2 fertilized eggs.
The really ironic thing is that we joked about this as we put together the headboard. I remember saying, "hopefully these homemade beds aren't affected by fractions or else we are going to end up with twins." Little did I know how right I was.And here is what I look like at 27 weeks along with those twins. I think the shirt in this picture makes me look bigger than I really am, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.
The babies are doing well. They are kicking a lot. Sometimes they kick so hard I can see my stomach jump. I'm doing well too. Last week I had to take the 3 hour version of the gestational diabetes test. (I'd failed the 1 hour version) Thankfully the results came back that I do not have gestational diabetes. So this later half of my pregnancy continues to be a lot less eventful than the first half.
The babies are doing well. They are kicking a lot. Sometimes they kick so hard I can see my stomach jump. I'm doing well too. Last week I had to take the 3 hour version of the gestational diabetes test. (I'd failed the 1 hour version) Thankfully the results came back that I do not have gestational diabetes. So this later half of my pregnancy continues to be a lot less eventful than the first half.
ha ha ha!!! This cracks me up. Never thought of it like that. Could be true :)
ReplyDeleteYou two are funny! I love that you joked about this even before you were pregnant with twins.
ReplyDelete