. . . . they finally figured out what to do with me at work.
I'm now at the level of seniority at work (year and a half) that I felt comfortable applying for positions with more responsibility. But since Brandon is graduating in December (yes it really might happen) or May at the latest they haven't wanted to give me a higher job. I understand that they want somebody who will be there for a while and not leave, but I was getting ready for a change. Not to mention I really couldn't handle many more customer service phone calls.
Any way last Tuesday the VP of Billing asked it I was interested in being the Billing Department Internal Auditor. It is a job that they want to rotate out every 12 months to get new eyes so I could do the job until Brandon graduates. I had never even considered being the auditor, but as soon as I figured out that I wouldn't be in the customer service phone queue anymore I took the job.
The last few days have been spent saying good bye to over half my portfolio. (A heart wrenching experience for some properties that I really like and a celebration for the other ones that I NEVER thought I would EVER get rid of) I've also been trying to figure out what this new job really is all about. (Basically I check every one's properties to make sure billing is going correctly)
I've also been trying to arrange my desk. I had to move away from my team. Actually out of the original team it was only my supervisor and me left-- everyone else had already been promoted and/or moved away. Now at my new spot I have to deal with a slightly different desk layout and a HUGE scanner. I'm thinking about putting the scanner under my desk, but I have to be certain I can do it without the IT department noticing.
I like the new job, but it is hard to adapt. I had my properties down to a science so it is kind of disconcerting to be doing something new. Still they told me that they want me to contribute my ideas and work to take the auditing department (I'm my own department) to the next level. I'm a sucker for doing that kind of work so I'm pretty excited for the change overall.
-

I'm sure you will come up with lots of great ideas to take auditing to the next level! -- Dad
ReplyDeleteWoohoo! Change is always nice but it is hard to have to come up with a whole new system. I feel like we overhaul ours every new semester :P Good luck with the new job and good luck to Brandon graduating!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Val, I remember that you did pretty well at taking the dollar store you worked at a few years ago to the next level. I'm sure this will be a peice of cake with that experience under your belt..
ReplyDelete