I usually like a lot of structure in my life. For instace, I like the fact that I work the same schedule eveyday. I like to know my weekend plans on Monday at the latest. And I am always thinking ahead to big events months in the future. But I also am okay with ocationally being spontanious. This past week was all about stepping out of the routine.
Last week Brandon and I looked at our calender and could see somethings out of the ordinary. We knew my parents were coming up for an HR conference/anniversary trip (yes it is an odd combination but it works for them) My dad was one of the speakers at the conference to I'd scheduled work off for an afternoon so I could go hear him speak. We also planned on eating with my parents. This was all planned for Wednesday.
Well Tuesday my sister Lindsey told me that she was thinking about coming up to visit. She was off of school that week and her husband was in Georgia. She and her baby boy, Rocklond came up from Cedar City to Salt Lake to see our family. Our younger sister Hillary was going to be leaving for the Choir trip to California on Thurday and that meant that our brother Billy was the only one home. Lindsey and Billy wanted to come up and visit us. I said that was fine and scheduled a whole day off on Friday. (Luckly this was during what we call "down time" at work so I could take the time off.)
Well I spent the half the day with my parents on Wednesday. It was great to see them. My dad did great at his presentation. We also were able to see the room that my parents were staying at in the Anniversary Inn. It was very impressive.
On Thursday I was at work again when I got a text message from Lindsey. They had decided to come up that night. So after work Brandon and I met up with Lindsey and Billy. We also ran into my Dad and so we went with him to the Anniversary Inn to see my Mom. It was weird to have so many of my family members in Logan.
We had a fun night talking, watching a movie, and goofing off. We also decided that we should drive to Rexburg to see my other sister Emily. Billy had to work on Saturday so he went home with my parents. Lindsey, Rocklond, Brandon and I all drove the 2 1/2 hours up to Rexburg. We quizzed ourselfs on all the state capitals.
We got to Rexburg and had another fun night of talking and goofing off with Emily and David. At one piont we all started talking about the bills that we had to pay and how we got good deals on them and such. Brandon made the comment, "If I was five this conversation would be so boring."
At one point on Saturday Me, Lindsey and Emily were all sitting on the couch. It was so fun to be together. I'm so glad I was able to understand that it is okay to have a routine but it is also important to break out of that routine. Especailly when it involves family that lives hours away.
For those of you who read this whole thing here is a picture of Rocklond. I would have taken a lot more pictures but our camera batteries aren't holding charges very well so our camera was dead all weekend. I stole this pick off of my sisters Blog.

No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?