The Lords timeline can been annoying sometimes. It can seem like everyone else is living the good life. They have great jobs with the cars and houses that come with. What about those of us who are paying our tithing, reading our scriptures, and praying, but still can't seem to get ahead? When ever I think about things like this I think of Caleb in the Old Testament.
Caleb was one of the Children of Israel that left Egypt with Moses. He was sent to spy on the land of Canaan with Joshua and 8 other men. The land was good, but the 8 other men were afraid of the people that lived in the land. Even after all the miracles the Lord had performed for them they did not think the Lord could help them defeat the people in the land.
Caleb and Joshua wanted to go in and posses the land right away, but the people did not listen to them. In Numbers 14 verses 23 and 24 the Lord says:
The Children of Israel then wander in the wilderness in 40 years until all the people who didn't want to go to Canaan are dead. Then, lead by Joshua, their grown children go in an take the land. After 5 years they are victorious and start dividing up the land.
In Joshua 14 verses 6-13 Caleb goes up to Joshua and reminds him of the promise of the Lord.
6 . . . Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto him, Thou knowest the thing that the Lord said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadesh-barnea.
7Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh-barnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.
8Nevertheless my breathen that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the Lord my God.
9And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children’s for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the Lord my God.
10And now, behold, the Lord hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the Lord spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
11As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
Caleb was 85 years old before he inherited the land that had been promised him. But the Lord did not forget him and he did get what he was promised. Hopefully we don't have to wait 45 years for our blessings, but even if we do have to wait that long, I know that the Lord remembers his promises.
No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think?